Want To Buy Wheels to play in!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wheels to play in! within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I'm looking for a set of wheels to play in. Dirt, asphalt, track, fire road... Whatever. I need them to ...

Question Wheels to play in!

I'm looking for a set of wheels to play in. Dirt, asphalt, track, fire road... Whatever. I need them to be functional and I care almost zero percent what they look like a long as they fit my 2012 WRX properly and don't have mounting issues. I'll probably be putting my stock tires on them for AutoX until I get a designated set.

I was thinking I would probably find somebody with some beat up stock wheels that they were looking to get rid of. I'm not exactly sure about stock fitment compatibility.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How much are you looking to spend?

Well, for beat up wheels I'd like to keep it within a couple hundred $$. I'm also open to recommendations on non-stock wheels to look for that would be good for beating up (while not weighing so much that they negatively impact performance).
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Find some used Steelies somewhere.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Well, for beat up wheels I'd like to keep it within a couple hundred $$. I'm also open to recommendations on non-stock wheels to look for that would be good for beating up (while not weighing so much that they negatively impact performance).
    Like 200? Or what is your top dollar? Nevermind, you're too far from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Find some used Steelies somewhere.
    I was thinking about that option also... But won't they flex too much for AutoX?

Quote Originally Posted by teggymami View Post
    Like 200? Or what is your top dollar? Nevermind, you're too far from me.
    Well I don't really care where you are as long as price +shipping is reasonable... What do you have?

I have a set of 5 Konig Afterburner, they're nice wheels but they have some curb rash and what not. I'm not gonna sell them for rocks, but I'm not gonna ask a whole lot either.

PM sent.

Steelies probably would have too much of a sidewalled tire to do anything autocross, and be competitive at least. The idea for AutoX is to have sticky tires, light wheels, stiff sidewalls to help with all the quick handling.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Steelies probably would have too much of a sidewalled tire to do anything autocross, and be competitive at least. The idea for AutoX is to have sticky tires, light wheels, stiff sidewalls to help with all the quick handling.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not into anything serious yet, so I'm just looking for a wheel that I can mess around on without harm to my stockers, which, after 35,000 miles, are still in perfect shape with no curb rash or scratches. And that's after an AutoX and a bit of playing in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not into anything serious yet, so I'm just looking for a wheel that I can mess around on without harm to my stockers, which, after 35,000 miles, are still in perfect shape with no curb rash or scratches. And that's after an AutoX and a bit of playing in the dirt.
    Bit of a sticky pickle. A good wheel/tire setup for autox is somewhat of the opposite of what you want for a good wheel/tire setup for offroading.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Bit of a sticky pickle. A good wheel/tire setup for autox is somewhat of the opposite of what you want for a good wheel/tire setup for offroading.
    Agreed. Right now I'm still wearing the stock wheels though - and they're in perfect shape - so I cringe thinking that a rock could break them straight through the tire. (Happened in my last car with stock alloys when I ran over some debris from a truck in front of me) I wouldn't care too much if it wasn't my pristine wheels.

As I understand, some steelies would be adequate for offroading and a lighter, stiffer, racier (real word?) wheel for AutoX. But I'm not competing - I just wanna screw around where it's safe and not hate life if I break a wheel.

I also appreciate the feedback, everybody!

To think about it though...I haven't really heard of a situation where AutoXing brakes wheels though. Yeah you hit turns pretty hard, but the speed isn't really there. And the track is clear of debris. You're not gonna break a wheel with a cone...

So, stick to using the stockers with your pretty good stock tires on AutoX and you'd still probably keep your stockers in great shape. Then use the steelies or junk wheels for any of the offroading stuff.

To think about it though...I haven't really heard of a situation where AutoXing brakes wheels though. Yeah you hit turns pretty hard, but the speed isn't really there. And the track is clear of debris. You're not gonna break a wheel with a cone...

So, stick to using the stockers with your pretty good stock tires on AutoX and you'd still probably keep your stockers in great shape. Then use the steelies or junk wheels for any of the offroading stuff.
    Good call, and I agree - except for the wear and tear of the tires that I have to commute 3 hours a day in.

Sigh. I get told at work that I write "like a girl" when I provide adequate information into my question for people to be able to give me a well-informed answer. So I tried to give you guys a break. Now, it looks like I'm refuting everything that you guys are throwing at me - and that is wholly not my intention. I want your input and your recommendations and your WHEELS!! But in an effort to get everybody up to speed here, and I'll shed the negative feedback from retarded co-workers, here goes:

My stock tires have about 35,000 miles on them right now. They're the summer high-performance tires. I did one AutoX on them when the car was new(ish) a year ago with only 3,000 miles on the car. My tires took a beating and they still shows signs of that day. However, I grew up offroading and there's nothing that matches the fun for me, so I want to do that more with my car but I can't jeopardize my daily commute of over 3 hours per day because, well, I need to pay the bills. You get it.

So I'm afraid to do anything to the same wheels and tires that I need to commute on. That's why I'm here. I want to have the freedom to play with the car without screwing up my paycheck. As I'll be replacing the stock tires soon anyway, I figure I could get lower-cost all-season replacements a little early and throw my existing tires onto a beat up set of (the same?) wheels to keep screwing around in them - they have plenty of performance left in them for AutoX. Then, if I blow a tire in an AutoX or doing something in the dirt, who cares - I just throw my commuters back on and report to work the next day.

I hope that clears it up a little bit, and I'm sorry I didn't post all of that in the original post - I did it for you guys. hahaha I also expect that if I wrote all of that into the original post, you would have replied with "tldr" and moved on!

Hahaha I understand where you're coming from...but I'm just playing the devil's advocate. I understand the commute thing. I did a long commute myself for quite awhile in my first STI. The stock RE-070s were great tires, but certainly didn't last long at all.

And HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE 35K ON THE STOCK TIRES????? That's a lot for sticky summer rubber!

I mean...I think what I'm trying to get at here is that if you DO want to AutoX...whether seriously or just for fun, then you should use a good set of tires at least. If you use something "crappy" when AutoX, you just won't get the level of fun you could. Turn ins and braking won't be satisfactory. You will get tremendously more understeer due to the sidewall flex...and you'd probably have a better chance of actually getting a blowout due to more sidewall.

I think your best option here would to definitely find a cheap set of something used via Nasioc/Craigslist or wherever. Steelies probably wouldn't be your best bet. Perhaps you could even find someone selling their stockers? Have a second set on hand! Problem solved, haha.

And no worries about your explanations and details. I'd rather have that than the threads you see around here where someone says "I bought a WRX it broke whats wrong with it" with no grammar or useable info at all. Which by the way, I'll give you some positive rep for using great grammar and spelling!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.