For Sale Need Advice re: 2004 WRX Wagon, 101,000 miles with a blown head gasket

This is a discussion on Need Advice re: 2004 WRX Wagon, 101,000 miles with a blown head gasket within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; As the title says, I have a 2004 WRX wagon with a hair over 101,000 miles and, at a minimum, ...

Need Advice re: 2004 WRX Wagon, 101,000 miles with a blown head gasket

As the title says, I have a 2004 WRX wagon with a hair over 101,000 miles and, at a minimum, a blown head gasket (car overheated with no indicators or gauges alerting me to the issue so I call it dumb bad luck).

I did some preliminary research on Edmunds.com and found that to a dealer the car is only worth $4,400 and it's going to cost $3,200 minimum (we don't know the condition of the heads or short block yet) so I was thinking to sell the car to a mechanic for $1,200 and get out before I got too deep into repairs. But then I looked at autotrader.com and found similar cars selling for over $10,000... granted they're running. And extending out the search for what the car might be worth, assuming I get it running again, I see a huge range from kbb to edmunds to nada... from $4,400 to more than $8,000. And if my car is actually worth more than $8,000 then it's probably worth investing in some repairs (at least enough to see if the heads are shot).

Not sure what my car is really worth to a dealer or private-party and was hoping for any insight or advice you might have on my situation. I love my WRX and want to keep it around a few more years if it makes sense... else I'll have to talk the wife into a new WRX -

Thanks.

PS - I hope I've put this in the correct sub-forum. If it needs to go elsewhere let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You could sell it out in parts for more than 1200$. The mechanic would be stealing it from you for that price. 3200$ also seems pretty pricey for a new head gasket but I could be wrong.

To be fair, the $3,200 includes checking the heads for cracks and refinishing by a machine shop... but I think you're right, $1,200 is a steal. We've decided to invest $1,600 to pull the block and heads and see if they're warped. If not we'll send them out for refinishing and get things put back together. If not... we'll go from there.

I can always sell it after the heads are pulled - heck, I can even demand more since I've already paid for the bulk of the work!!