For Sale/Trade TRADE BUY SELL 2012 WRX headlights FOR 2011 Headlights or what fits
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on TRADE BUY SELL 2012 WRX headlights FOR 2011 Headlights or what fits within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; i just got my hands on a 2012 wrx and would like the older black housing headlights these headlights have ...

TRADE BUY SELL 2012 WRX headlights FOR 2011 Headlights or what fits

i just got my hands on a 2012 wrx and would like the older black housing headlights these headlights have 1 week of driving time on it PERFECT let me know if you get the chance im in colorado

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I feel ya, I really dislike the new headlights. So glad I just bought the 11 and didn't wait for the 12. Im sure someone will trade you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pull em apart and paint them.. We have been painting Subaru headlights for over 10 years now.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

yea kind of grown on to me at night i wouldnt have mind if my car wasnt so dark o well and thought about painting them just dont know if they would still look good like the oem

^ What Bo said..

Remove all wiring,bulbs, screws and rubber grommets. Bake em for 12 min at 200*. Gently pry the lenses off and allow everything to cool. (make sure you dont get that sealing goop on the reflectors.. it DOES NOT like to come back off). The chrome bezel that surrounds the projector is actually screwed to the backside of the clear lens. Remove the bezel from the lens, scuff lightly with a green or red scotch pad and paint with your choice of black paint. I used rustoleum stuff designed for plastics. Let them sit for a full day if you can to allow them to fully off gas and not cloud the lenses after re-assembly. Once they're nice and cured, screw the bezel to the back of the lens. You wont be able to fully seat the lens into the housing with the sealer cold.. but get it all snugged in best you can (leave out the screws for now). Bake again at same temp for same time then push the lenses all the way into the headlight housing until they seat fully. Screw all the outer screws back in.. add wiring/bulbs/grommets back and you're done.

pics of mine

You can do it..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    ^ What Bo said..

Remove all wiring,bulbs, screws and rubber grommets. Bake em for 12 min at 200*. Gently pry the lenses off and allow everything to cool. (make sure you dont get that sealing goop on the reflectors.. it DOES NOT like to come back off). The chrome bezel that surrounds the projector is actually screwed to the backside of the clear lens. Remove the bezel from the lens, scuff lightly with a green or red scotch pad and paint with your choice of black paint. I used rustoleum stuff designed for plastics. Let them sit for a full day if you can to allow them to fully off gas and not cloud the lenses after re-assembly. Once they're nice and cured, screw the bezel to the back of the lens. You wont be able to fully seat the lens into the housing with the sealer cold.. but get it all snugged in best you can (leave out the screws for now). Bake again at same temp for same time then push the lenses all the way into the headlight housing until they seat fully. Screw all the outer screws back in.. add wiring/bulbs/grommets back and you're done.

pics of mine

You can do it..

NICE!!! how long did it take you and what kind of paint did you use might have to give this a try THANKS for all the info/pics!!

Took me about 4 hours total but keep in mind I was goofin around on a friday night. I started just after I got home from work and finished up around midnight. There were a lot of beer breaks lol.
    I put the lights back in the car sat morning and took pics (daylight and sober )

I had some lense clouding issues from the paint off gassing. ( I still do, but I've been lazy and not exactly wanting to pull them apart again to wipe down the lenses) This is why I recommend to do them and let the bezels sit over night to let the solvent fully flash off. Also lets the paint harden up fully so you can handle the pieces and not have to worry about being super delicate with them.

I used rustoleum plastic paint. Its available at any autozone. It lays down well, sets up fast and dries to a nice smooth durable finish. I have the same stuff on my grill and so far its been holding up well to VA roads/debris beating the crap out of it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.