For Sale/Trade 05 Blown engine EJ20

This is a discussion on 05 Blown engine EJ20 within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I have the new engine in mine now but the old one, I am not sure what to do with ...

05 Blown engine EJ20

I have the new engine in mine now but the old one, I am not sure what to do with it...

It made a screech/knock/screech/knock kind of sound and from looking at youtube videos its sounding like a spun rod bearing. It still started and ran sort of ok when it blew but I shut it down and towed it home within seconds of detonation.

But what I am wondering is what to do with it now, are the heads "probably" still good? I can assume the crank and at least one rod is hosed but are there still lots of usable parts on the longblock someone could use that knows these engines really well?

It's got 50,162 miles on it.

Is it just junk?

Thanks for replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Won't know for sure until you tear it down. Went through this recently with one of my WRX's. With mine, I found it spun a rod bearing. In this case, the mains were intact and the block was still usable. The crank is trashed as well as the rod with the spun bearing. This engine had 165K on it so I wouldn't reuse any of the rods or pistons.

If it spins a main bearing, you may be able to part out the rods and pistons, but it's likely the block is a paperweight.

You may be able to sell the block to a builder if it's still good but may be a hard sell. There are a lot of EJ20's out there with spun bearings.

The heads may very well still be good. You may get some cash for those.

FYI: EJ20 shortblocks are @ $1200 wholesale (perhaps less) and STI shortblocks @ $1650.

Where are you located?

Im in Virginia near Winchester.

I already have the new engine in and running. I don't owe a core for the old one and just not sure what to do with it now.

I changed the engine myself which was easy, but i've never attempted pulling one apart before. I should pull the heads off and at least see how they look. Pretty sure someone somewhere needs a set of heads for cheap.

Maybe this weekend if it's not too cold ... ha more snow coming i hear..joy

I put a call in to my machinist in Winchester but there really isn't a market for 'seasoned' blocks that he knows of, unless someone's doing an economy EJ20 rebuild. Your best bet would be to pull the entire motor down and see what issues it has. If the block is still good, you may try listing it on here, NASIOC, rallyclassifieds.com or rallycarsforsale.net. Another option would be some of the VW pages. People are swapping out air-cooled motors on the old vans and beetles for the subie engines. That's why the salvage yards charge so much.

I live in lynchburg, va and i could drive up to winchester maybe someday. I'm drying to learn as much as i can about these wrx's because i'm gonna buy one soon. and maybe buying a wrx shell and installing an engine might be the cheaper choice..