COBB or Vishnu or ECUtek for my '05 WRX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on COBB or Vishnu or ECUtek for my '05 WRX? within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I really want to get some kind of tuning software...preferably COBB's Accessport or something for my '05 WRX, but I ...

Wrinklechops

COBB or Vishnu or ECUtek for my '05 WRX?

I really want to get some kind of tuning software...preferably COBB's Accessport or something for my '05 WRX, but I don't want to spend $700+ on it from COBB.

I know that's probably going to sound like I'm cheap and "how could I possibly expect to get a tuning chip for anything less than that", etc, but I figured it was worth a try.

You never know when someone might get rid of their Accessport and their loss could be my gain...

I've checked eBay and craigslist, and no one seems to want to part with it for anything less than $600+!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have you considered Open Source? With a laptop and a cable you can load whatever maps you want. There are lots of free OTS maps that you can find or you can buy one from someone to flash onto your car.

Check out RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider
    Last edited by Kjott21; 03-01-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.

DUB
    Keep an eye on the classifieds in Subaru forums, you will find for less than that.

Or, look into open source tuning.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjott21 View Post
    Have you considered Open Source? With a laptop and a cable you can load whatever maps you want. There are lots of free OTS maps that you can find or you can buy one from someone to flash onto your car.

Check out RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider
    Really that's awesome I didn't even know that was available... I mean I know I probably know the answer to my own question here but is there potential damage/harm to be done from doing that yourself? How about performance gains? I'm just looking for something like an extra 20-25hp for now...

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Really that's awesome I didn't even know that was available... I mean I know I probably know the answer to my own question here but is there potential damage/harm to be done from doing that yourself? How about performance gains? I'm just looking for something like an extra 20-25hp for now...
    There is most certainly a potential for you to damage your car if you don't know what you are doing and you try to tune the car yourself, which is why I recommend getting a map from a reputable tuner and then sending them logs to tweak the map for you until you learn what you are doing. There are a bunch of tuners who offer that kind of service.

The power gains are the same as they would be with any kind if EM. It all depends on your mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a risk that you could damage your ECU flashing it. It doesn't matter which method you use (Cobb etc.). Be sure your battery is warm & charged up and everything is turned off and you should be fine. Vishnu isn't a good option.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Wrinklechops
    There is most certainly a potential for you to damage your car if you don't know what you are doing and you try to tune the car yourself, which is why I recommend getting a map from a reputable tuner and then sending them logs to tweak the map for you until you learn what you are doing. There are a bunch of tuners who offer that kind of service.

The power gains are the same as they would be with any kind if EM. It all depends on your mods.
    Yea it seems there's a wealth of knowledge out there about open source or ECU tuning on our WRXs... I've spent a good hour or two reading lots of stuff (like the RomRaider FAQ)... I realize you're both right, there is serious potential for screw-up... I will play it safe and make sure I get some oversight on what I end up doing... Call me lazy, I might just save up until I can afford the COBB Ap or something. Vishnu is junk huh?

Yea it seems there's a wealth of knowledge out there about open source or ECU tuning on our WRXs... I've spent a good hour or two reading lots of stuff (like the RomRaider FAQ)... I realize you're both right, there is serious potential for screw-up... I will play it safe and make sure I get some oversight on what I end up doing... Call me lazy, I might just save up until I can afford the COBB Ap or something. Vishnu is junk huh?
    Open source tuning is no more dangerous than buying an AP as long as you get a good map. They are both an ECU reflash. The only difference is that you aren't buying their $600 code reader and can edit your own maps for free. The danger with open source is only if you mess with things outside of your level of learning. It takes almost nothing to be able to flash a map, but it takes a lot of knowledge to edit the proper parameters.

Get the cable and load the software on your laptop and buy a map from one of these guys:

Welcome to 555 Motorsports
    CAMTuning.com - Custom Engine Management and Performance Tuning Solutions
    awdtuning.com - Main Site - Subaru Performance Tuning
    MPS™ :: Custom Tuning Services “Get a Dom Tune!”®

You can also buy off the shelf maps similar to the AP maps but better from here:
    XPT Tuning, The XPT Tuning Online Store

The results will be cheaper and better than you will find with an OTS Cobb map.

Wrinklechops
    Open source tuning is no more dangerous than buying an AP as long as you get a good map. They are both an ECU reflash. The only difference is that you aren't buying their $600 code reader and can edit your own maps for free. The danger with open source is only if you mess with things outside of your level of learning. It takes almost nothing to be able to flash a map, but it takes a lot of knowledge to edit the proper parameters.

Get the cable and load the software on your laptop and buy a map from one of these guys:

Welcome to 555 Motorsports
    CAMTuning.com - Custom Engine Management and Performance Tuning Solutions
    awdtuning.com - Main Site - Subaru Performance Tuning
    MPS™ :: Custom Tuning Services “Get a Dom Tune!”®

You can also buy off the shelf maps similar to the AP maps but better from here:
    XPT Tuning, The XPT Tuning Online Store

The results will be cheaper and better than you will find with an OTS Cobb map.
    That's awesome and thank you very much for the links. I'll see what I can work out...
    Do you happen to know if you do any tuning, COBB or otherwise, but especially the self-tuning-maps stuff...if the dealer can hook up and see if you've tuned it? I called COBB a while back and they said there is no way for the dealer to find out (like if you had an engine blow up 3 times and didn't tune anything like me!) if you had the Accessport as long as you return the ecu to stock and unplug the Accessport before taking it to the dealer...

That's awesome and thank you very much for the links. I'll see what I can work out...
    Do you happen to know if you do any tuning, COBB or otherwise, but especially the self-tuning-maps stuff...if the dealer can hook up and see if you've tuned it? I called COBB a while back and they said there is no way for the dealer to find out (like if you had an engine blow up 3 times and didn't tune anything like me!) if you had the Accessport as long as you return the ecu to stock and unplug the Accessport before taking it to the dealer...
    If you copy your stock map and then reflash it before you take it to the dealership then there is no way they would be able to tell.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, the dealership can tell if your car has been flashed.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you copy your stock map and then reflash it before you take it to the dealership then there is no way they would be able to tell.
    This is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    This is wrong.
    If you make an exact copy of the ROM that is on your ECU how will they be able to tell if the car has been flashed? It will have the correct serial numbers and whatnot in it if it was taken from your ECU.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you make an exact copy of the ROM that is on your ECU how will they be able to tell if the car has been flashed? It will have the correct serial numbers and whatnot in it if it was taken from your ECU.
    Call your local dealership and ask the service manager and report back to us (the adviser might not know, that's why I said manager).

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Call your local dealership and ask the service manager and report back to us (the adviser might not know, that's why I said manager).
    I'm going to make that call cuz I'm super confused now. I've heard both that the dealer can't find out and that they can I don't know who to believe! AHHHHH lol. COBB said the dealer can't find out, but I'm sure the dealer will tell me that they can find out.

Ugh. I just want the AP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast