Mass Airflow Sensor....

This is a discussion on Mass Airflow Sensor.... within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Driving Home from work today my engine cut out and the check engine light came on . My A.P. shows ...

Unhappy Mass Airflow Sensor....

Driving Home from work today my engine cut out and the check engine light came on. My A.P. shows mass air circuit low input. so I removed it attempted to clean it and noticed that there's a slight rattle inside. I can't find one in an auto part store and the dealer is asking for $260. I used to be a counterman for auto wholesalers and from what I remember maf's sold for under $100. I've searched the web and the cheapest used is $50, being that it's out of state of course I don't dare. but remans through A1 and Delco are still over $200 + core. CAN ANYONE HELP????

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Two thoughts:

People wreck Imprezas every day. Usually the MAF sensor survives.

Also, the sensor itself reminds me a lot of the sensor on turbo Celica motors. See if you can cross reference the part number; that'll give you two pools of bad driving to draw from for used parts, and two dealer networks for new parts (if and ONLY if it's true).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I really have to question how it has a rattle inside. They are a very simple part and there's really nothing that can break loose and rattle. But I'll trust you that something is rattling. Have you contacted a junk yard? $200+ is about right for the part new. I'm not sure what cars you're familiar with that have <$100 MAFs but every high performance car I know of runs $200-300 for the MAF.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading