I Can Haz WRX? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on I Can Haz WRX? within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Ok, so here's an update for the people that care: Just got back from looking at this guy's 2002 WRX ...

Talking

Ok, so here's an update for the people that care:

Just got back from looking at this guy's 2002 WRX who lives about 10 mins from me. Absolutely fell in love with it... the guy is really cool, he's in his 30's and was the first owner of the car. He bought it back in 2001 right off the showroom floor. Great guy, really knows his stuff, and the car is absolutely immaculate.

So here's the run down on his car.

2002 WRB WRX
    $10,000
    108,000 miles

5 SPD Trans
    FP Green 16G Turbo (500 miles on it)
    Upgraded TMIC (ebay I believe)
    STi Pinks
    Eibach ProKit Springs
    Cusco rear sway
    Cusco front sway (not installed)
    Front H-Brace (not installed)
    Set of 4 rims in gunmetal (not sure on brand, Rota maybe) w/ tires
    STi Gold BBS rims on car currently
    Full Audio w/ Pioneer Headunit w/ Nav
    Gutted STi Exhaust (catless)
    Catless UP
    Catless DP (not sure on brand)
    COBB AP V2
    Stg. 4 Clutch (brand new)
    OEM Flywheel (brand new)
    Recent service/oil change
    JDM Rear Spoiler

Un-painted side skirts

**All of the turbo work, etc., was done at Mach V.

He has some other goodies that he would throw in (Cusco sway, rims, etc.) which would be pretty nice. I know the car has 108k on the clock, but damn, this guy has taken care of his WRX. The paint is flawless and by the way he talked, I could tell that he really cares and has babied his WRX through its entire life thus far. All of the mileage (according to him) was from the highway with about 30-40% coming from city driving around here in NoVa. He also took me for a quick spin down the FFX County Parkway and holy carp...it pulls hard ; and sounds amazing!

So what do you all think? Good deal or not? Considering everything that I've stated above, should I keep this at the top of my list, or should I get over myself now and look for something that has less miles but is more expensive?

EDIT: some pics.

Last edited by STI_KLR; 08-14-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    black side skirts are secksie
    Hard to say with those particular mods, but I have been stage II since 60,000 and have had zero problems... 140,000 later
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    black side skirts are secksie
    Hard to say with those particular mods, but I have been stage II since 60,000 and have had zero problems... 140,000 later
    Well that's good news I mean, this car I am going to have for life - unless something catastrophic happens. It is, after all, my dream car (no matter how absurd my mom thinks it is). And I really won't be putting many miles on it considering I'll be at school down at ECU. The only miles I'll be putting on it really would be highway driving back and forth to NoVa occasionally.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Bump. Need more opinions!
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    It certainly seems like a really nice bugeye. Not that it's not worth 10K in a private sale but it's more than "I" would pay for a highly modified bugeye with +100k on the clock. I don't believe a dealer would give more then 7.5k for it on a trade in. (Of course that depends on how much the dealer is jacking the price up on the car it was traded for, to account for it.)

So it really comes down to how much money are you willing to part with to own it. Keep in mind that it WILL need additional work and maintenance due to the mileage and mods. If you do decide to go for it with this one then I would definitely want to have an independent opinion from a Subaru tuner/mechanic prior to closing the sale.

Additionally, beware of "the fever". It is a disease that causes you to make rash decisions that are not as well thought out. It is common when car shopping. Particularly when you are shopping for a car you have lusted over for a long time.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    It certainly seems like a really nice bugeye. Not that it's not worth 10K in a private sale but it's more than "I" would pay for a highly modified bugeye with +100k on the clock. I don't believe a dealer would give more then 7.5k for it on a trade in. (Of course that depends on how much the dealer is jacking the price up on the car it was traded for, to account for it.)

So it really comes down to how much money are you willing to part with to own it. Keep in mind that it WILL need additional work and maintenance due to the mileage and mods. If you do decide to go for it with this one then I would definitely want to have an independent opinion from a Subaru tuner/mechanic prior to closing the sale.

Additionally, beware of "the fever". It is a disease that causes you to make rash decisions that are not as well thought out. It is common when car shopping. Particularly when you are shopping for a car you have lusted over for a long time.
    Touche.

I was just leaning toward this one because it is more in my price range. I sold the Mazda for $8,500 which gives me a final budget of really no more than $11,000. That being said, I know it is going to be hard to find a lower mileage bugeye at that price, so I may have to part with a little more $$$.

And "The Fever" hasn't gotten me yet (I hope) but I have about 5 other wrx's that I'm looking at. And plus, I'm really in no rush to get one - my biggest issue was selling the Mazda, so now I can take my time and pick one that seems the most legitimate.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

there is going to be a blue bugeye at an auction sometime soon as it got repo'd a few days ago.
    fmic
    rota D2s
    godspeed headers/uppipe/downpipe
    hks turbo timer
    gauges
    sparco seats

and the kicker...

PPG straight cut 1-4

should go for <7500 as it has no front bumper, etc

BTW 11400 gets it without the need to find the auction
    contact dan@i2tuning.com or i2tuning@gmail.com
    AIM: i2tuning

tell him that eric told you about his car

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    BTW 11400 gets it without the need to find the auction
    contact dan@i2tuning.com or i2tuning@gmail.com
    AIM: i2tuning

tell him that eric told you about his car
    Smeh...I'd rather just buy a whole car, not just a chunk of one lol. I don't have alot of money to spend, nor do I have the time to do that sort of thing (get a bumper, etc.) but I'll still keep him in mind.

Thanks Eric

EDIT: what does the "etc" include other than the bumper? Aaaand how many miles?
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    That WRB bugeye you found looks like a great deal. However I would be concerned with the tranny on the 02s. The clutch is a good upgrade, but the tranny will not last long, especially with the bigger turbo. Good luck.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    That WRB bugeye you found looks like a great deal. However I would be concerned with the tranny on the 02s. The clutch is a good upgrade, but the tranny will not last long, especially with the bigger turbo. Good luck.
    Yea, I asked him about the trans and he said he has babied the car. I believe him (for now) judging by the way he talked about his car. He's a real stand-up guy, and when he drove it as well, he was the biggest granny shifter I've ever seen

According to him, he's never dumped the clutch or any of those n00b things. He knows that they're a glassbox and for him it was a DD so he couldn't really afford to have the car out of commission.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    Thanks Dustin, I appreciate it. If I end up getting one, we need to get all the people at ECU to get together one night.

So far this is the tally of the ones ive seen at ECU:

White Bug WRX
    Black Blob WRX
    Black Blob STi
    Blue Bug WRX
    Blue Bug WRX
    Silver Bug WRX

and yours of course
    No prob man...Yea we definitely should. Yea I think your list about sums up the ones Ive seen except one 06-07 blue sti. I met the guy with the black blob Sti and we had talked about doing a meet but never got around to it.

As for the car...I say go for it. Maybe try to get him to come down a little because of the miles, but I would go for it. A friend of mine bought 02 Wagon with 75k on it and was in pretty bad shape and paid a couple grand more than you will be on this car.
    Last edited by ScreamnRex; 08-14-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamnRex View Post
    No prob man...Yea we definitely should. Yea I think your list about sums up the ones Ive seen except one 06-07 blue sti. I met the guy with the black blob Sti and we had talked about doing a meet but never got around to it.

As for the car...I say go for it. Maybe try to get him to come down a little because of the miles, but I would go for it. A friend of mine bought 02 Wagon with 75k on it and was in pretty bad shape and paid a couple grand more than you will be on this car.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, the car may have a little higher mileage than what I would like, but at least I can feel confident in the fact that the car has been amazingly maintained. And plus, if I can work him down on the price a tad, I'll have money left over if I ever do have to do any work on the car.

And +2 for an ECU meet!
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Quote Originally Posted by STI_KLR View Post
    Smeh...I'd rather just buy a whole car, not just a chunk of one lol. I don't have alot of money to spend, nor do I have the time to do that sort of thing (get a bumper, etc.) but I'll still keep him in mind.

Thanks Eric

EDIT: what does the "etc" include other than the bumper? Aaaand how many miles?
    the bumper and front grille were molded into one piece.
    car runs amazing and was protuned on a UTEC

as for mileage...im not sure but i think he said 60k ish

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    the bumper and front grille were molded into one piece.
    car runs amazing and was protuned on a UTEC

as for mileage...im not sure but i think he said 60k ish
    Ok, gotcha. Well that doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. I'll definitely keep him in mind while i'm looking for cars
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.