Why you may want to stay away from Forced Perfomance Turbos
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Why you may want to stay away from Forced Perfomance Turbos within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Why you may want to STAY AWAY from FP (Forced Performance) Turbo - IWSTI.com: Subaru STI Forums this thread was ...

Why you may want to stay away from Forced Perfomance Turbos

Why you may want to STAY AWAY from FP (Forced Performance) Turbo - IWSTI.com: Subaru STI Forums

this thread was submitted to and received approval from the admin and active moderators of IWSTI.com

i have kept this hush-hush for a long time until after i was able to speak with my lawyer about it, but it seems more trouble, time, and money than it's worth considering i already wasted money on FP products, so wasting more would just be asinine.

the purpose of this thread is to show you all why i find FP to be a garbage company with garbage product and atrocious customer service.

all of the following is true:

September 1, 2007: driving up to CT with my aunt and uncle in his porsche, my cousin and his GF in his porsche turbo, me and my GF in my car, the FP 20G dies on the Hutch parkway. the turbo let go after a 4th gear pull with my cousin. once i get on the gas a little, i hear this horrific buzzing noise and feel like the car is in neutral - no power. i put on the flashers, pulled over, had my cousin and uncle each pull over. they came to the car to see what was up. i was convinced it was the turbo because of the buzzing noise. i was sure that it was the blades touching the sides of the housing since nothing else to my knowledge could produce that same kind of sound under the same conditions - then there was a bit of smoke coming from the turbo itself. the weekend was completely ruined. i turned the car around and drove it home while the rest of my family went up to CT.

September 10, 2007: the car is flatbedded up to XX Tuning so that they can diagnose and repair the car. i get the following pictures sent to me after the turbo is removed from the car:

after all is said and done, i made the mistake of buying another FP turbo. this time it was a FP Green. at this point i figured, it was just one bad turbo and that since i had purchased it on July 19, 2006 - that maybe it was just "bad luck" on my part. i was wrong.

September 13, 2007: the FP Green was installed and tuned at XX Tuning. as you all know, XX Tuning is a magnificent shop with magnificent technicians that know everything about our cars. Chris tuned the car. 18 PSI on pump - 23 PSI on pump and meth.

November 3, 2007: i drive into Manhattan to pick my cousin up from school (Columbia University) and noticed a slight burnt oil smell from the car on the way in, but nothing major - just hints of the smell.

on my way into Manhattan, i was able to boost the car (18 PSI max) a few times, last time was on the Triboro bridge. as i'm driving through Harlem and stopping at the traffic lights, i start to see hints of smoke from the hood scoop. it slowly keeps getting worse.

after driving back to LI and stopping at a local diner, i popped the hood and saw some smoke coming from the area of the turbo. at this point it was the only place smoke was coming from.

after my cousin and i had a late breakfast, we got into the car. when i started it, the exhaust smoked very badly. as i was backing out of my parking spot, a very thick cloud of smoke was behind the car - like embarrassing thick. i felt like the smoke machines at a Nine Inch Nails concert were attached to my car.

we stopped in at Barnes and Noble to pick up some reading and i asked my cousin to rev the engine a little while i tried snapping off some pictures of the smoke. i wasn't able to get a good shot of it with my phone, but this is what i was able to get:

safe to say, i was pretty pissed off. i had a brand new FP Green only two months at 18 PSI before it committed suicide. i hadn't even run the car on meth since it was tuned. is it possible that all these signs are pointing to yet another GARBAGE FP turbo? yep. all signs are pointing to Failboat Performance.

November 7, 2007: i drive up to XX Tuning in vacuum. let me tell you - it's difficult driving an STi in vacuum that long (~1.7 hours) - especially when driving through cities and long stretches of uphill on the highway. i get to XX, they quickly take the car in the back and perform a list of things on the car that i had asked to do (coolant flush, motor oil and filter, tranny/front diff oil, rear diff oil, goodridge SS lines, super blue fluid). then onto diagnosing the turbo.

at first Jack thought that maybe my dual catch-can kit was not adequate enough to vent the crankcase pressure since there was almost no oil in the catch cans. he figured that there must have been a ton of oil in the APS TMIC. i let him know that when i originally bought the car, the first drive i took with it was a wicked beating on the way home. i told him the car really never had oil consumption problems and that if it does now, it must be the turbo.

after examining everything, he decided to turn the car on. the exhaust gases were TERRIBLE. blue-ish and chalk-ish. Jack said that he doesn't remember seeing exhaust that color nor with that smell (Jack is pretty amazing, too). we later realize it was the coolant and oil mixing in the Failboat Performance turbo.

anyway - he takes the car for a rip - comes back, tells me the motor seems mint. since it was still pulling over 20 vacuum it added to the indication that the engine was still good and he is convinced now it's the turbo.

we rip the turbo out, and guess what... the shaft play on it is about 3 times WORSE than my dead 20G!! to say the least, i was pissed off.

i had brought my stock VF39 with me and they installed that. i can't believe how fast the VF39 delivers power, but i had forgotten how weak it was on the road! definitely a weaksauce turbo on the road/highway, but pretty amazing for auto-X. i was kinda glad to be stage 2 "+" protuned again just to be reminded of how the VF39 is and how well made it is. something i was not inclined to with an FP turbo in my car.

after all this, i decided it was time to contact FP directly.

the following is all what was sent/received - with only personal information removed:
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm on the edge of my seat now.. how did you buy the turbos? The day when the emails took place is the day I got my WRX!
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Lbleiweiss View Post
    I'm on the edge of my seat now.. how did you buy the turbos? The day when the emails took place is the day I got my WRX!
    Didn't happen to me. It was a mod on IWSTi. Follow the link for the whole story.

I'll definitely read the link! hows your turbo working out? db superzilla still?
    Blob-Eye Syndicate #121 MY04 Stage 1 WRB STi
    Dirty Crew #89 like it dirty? Dirty Thread!
    "0-60 Faster Than Your First Sexual Experience!"
    Gettin Sideways At El Mirage
    The Best Video YouTube's Ever Seen!
    Courtesy of SomeGuy 217 Productions

Jebus Christ that is a large thread for only a few days.

I don't know what happened on EvoM, but from the standpoint of someone who also sells and warrants equipment, FP gave the guy a square deal. I can't really figure out what else you could want.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Apparently FP Robert went on EVOm and made a lot of derogatory comment towards Subaru owners in general.

DUB
    That was a great read!
    Interesting insight about after market tubular headers and their "weld dingle berries".
    I gotta say tough, I just barely side with FP on this one. A foreign object struck and destroyed the turbine fin on the 20G; not FP's fault. The failure of the Green was inconclusive, unknown oil starvation issue; they repair/replace at their discretion as they should.
    Obviously no company is going to reimburse for supplementary costs (tuning, towing, etc). You accept these expenses/risks the moment you decide to modify your vehicle.
    Granted, FP did not go the "extra mile" to make things right with this customer. But, would you have in their place? Robert/FP was basically blackmailed/threatened/bullied by Jason. I mean seriously, Jason basically came right out and said 'give me $2600 or I'll bash you on the internet'.
    I also like how Robert knew he was going to be on stage, and you can see it in his e-mails.
    Fun stuff!

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by BillFromTR View Post
    Apparently FP Robert went on EVOm and made a lot of derogatory comment towards Subaru owners in general.
    Link?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Link?
    It was inferred in his email...
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Link?
    Its on like page 20 something in the og thread.

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
    Today, 08:17 PM #59
    ForcedPerformance
    Silver Vendor
    Vendor Sales Rating: (2)

You know, this sort of incident really does act as a good test/filter/interview of sorts for potential customers. The people that a guy like this scares off never make power anyway. They end up driving around "on a safe rich toon" for years waiting for the next holy grail part that is supposed to turn them into a hero and eventually sell off their car without ever finishing what they set out to do in the first place. If I had to guess, I'd say there is a good number of Subaru guys that get manicures more often than they work on their cars, much less understand how to make power. I'll take some heat for that comment I am sure, but for some reason the Subaru guys have the most stupid ass questions and problems that I have ever heard (and I have been doing this a LONG TIME) and are always looking to blame somebody. There is a core of serious STI guys out there, and that is why we offer product. The posers can go fly a kite.

Some of you guys arent going to like my frank and politically incorrect attitude, and that is fine. FP does not equal Walmart.

Robert Young

Forced Performance Turbochargers

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by BillFromTR View Post
    Its on like page 20 something in the og thread......
    Ah, I see. I didn't read anything beyond the original post. Should I keep going? Is it equally as entertaining as that e-mail convo?

I think that fp was right not to give in to his threats. Look at that turbine. Something obviously collided with it. How on earth are they supposed to warranty that. They were gonna rebuild his Green which seemed fair.

The guy starts off talking about being a mod on a site. Why? Because it is an implied threat.

I side with fp on this one.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.