intake question on used 2005 wrx

This is a discussion on intake question on used 2005 wrx within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Intake question I'm a car newby and currently looking to buy a used 2005 wrx, and the one I'm interested ...

intake question on used 2005 wrx

Intake question

I'm a car newby and currently looking to buy a used 2005 wrx, and the one I'm interested in has a modified intake and exhaust system. Also, the guy wants to sell it at slightly above blue book value.

Now I have read on these forums that its bad to modify the intake early on a wrx, causing the engine to run too lean? (excuse me if my terminology is wrong) How much of an issue is this? Is it possible to modify it back to stock?

I intend to drive my car casually and not modify anything in the near future.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off Welcome to ClubWRX
    Thank you for doing the research, and your terminology is correct.

It it's true that an intake will cause a WRX to run lean.
    Do you know how much of the exhaust has been modified? Do you know if the cars computer has been tuned to handle the exhaust and intake?
    Is the check engine light on?

Quote Originally Posted by eggplanter View Post
    Intake question

I'm a car newby and currently looking to buy a used 2005 wrx, and the one I'm interested in has a modified intake and exhaust system. Also, the guy wants to sell it at slightly above blue book value.

Now I have read on these forums that its bad to modify the intake early on a wrx, causing the engine to run too lean? (excuse me if my terminology is wrong) How much of an issue is this? Is it possible to modify it back to stock?

I intend to drive my car casually and not modify anything in the near future.
    If you want a stock car, find a car that is already stock. Most modified cars are abused. Also I wouldn't pay a premium above KBB especially if the car isn't stock.

How can you be sure more significant parts of the car weren't upgraded. Ask the owner if he ever installed a BOV (Blow Off Valve). This is a popular mod, but can be harmful to the car.
    Last edited by LIV 2 RLY; 07-09-2008 at 04:23 PM.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Also, ask if the stock parts come with the car.

LIV 2 RLY, is right, don't pay more than KBB.

thanks for the replies

My dad went and test drove the car/talked to the guy for me (they're in the bay area, I'm not).

My dad doesn't really know the specifics, but he said "the intake" is modified. Does the specifically mean that its a cold air intake? Are there other types of intakes? Also, he had whatever he did to the intake installed at a subaru dealership. Does this mean anything (in terms of quality of the modification)?

As a general rule, unless you're buying a race-prepped car, mods should detract from a dealership's asking price. I recently bought a car from a dealership that had a few mods done and it absolutely factored into my final closing price.

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

the parts are the SPT exhaust and intake set.

what do you guys think of them?

Subaru Drive Performance Magazine : SPT High Flow Air Intake And Exhaust Systems