Trade stock 05 STi recirculating valve plus cash for BOV.

This is a discussion on Trade stock 05 STi recirculating valve plus cash for BOV. within the NWS: Local For Sale Only ! forums, part of the North Western States category; Trade stock STi recirculating valve plus cash for BOV. Looking for name brand BOV Turbo xs, Perrin, Greddy, HKS, and ...

Thumbs up Trade stock 05 STi recirculating valve plus cash for BOV.

Trade stock STi recirculating valve plus cash for BOV. Looking for name brand BOV Turbo xs, Perrin, Greddy, HKS, and APS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have an aps dual vent bov for tmics

i dont use it anymore since i put my front mount on
    308whp/285tq
    Size DOES matter...
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    Proud PRE customer
    Tuned by Bobby

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey... OP. Do it, this is the only BOV that is worth your time or money. If you get any other BOV it can not be tuned w/ open/closed loop engine management (IE: enginuity, cobb, utec, etc...)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Hey... OP. Do it, this is the only BOV that is worth your time or money. If you get any other BOV it can not be tuned w/ open/closed loop engine management (IE: enginuity, cobb, utec, etc...)
    Explain please?

How much cash are you willing to put out for an HKS?

Lee
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Explain please?

Lee
    here's a quick explanation of open/closed loop engine management.

There are two types, open loop and closed loop.

open loop is used on cold starts, and at wide open throttle (WOT). It is when the computer (engine control unit - ecu) does not take any information from the sensors onboard (ie O2, IAT, MAF, etc) and uses a set map with set air and fuel parameters. It's used on cold starts to run a little rich (because cold air is soo dense) so that the car will start, and warm up. It's used at WOT because with a turbo, there is entirely too much airflow for the MAF (Mass airflow sensor) to be able to accurately read, and the computer won't have the time to adjust for variations in the readings at all the sensors.

closed loop is used with normal driving to get the best gas mileage, and performance while using fuel the most efficiently. It uses all of the sensors to be able to make fine adjustments within the engine (valve timing, ignition timing, injector flow, etc)

This is all covered elsewhere on the site, but I'd rather write my own quick explanation real quick so you don't have to run to the ends of the earth to try and figure out how this all relates to purchasing a blow off valve.

I'm sure you all have heard that with an atmospherically vented BOV that instead of the air that's built up in the intake tract going back to the inlet pipe, it gets vented to the air. So on shifts, you lose the extra air from the RBV (recirculating bypass valve). The computer has compensated for that amount of air, and so your shifts run rich, and you shoot flames, ruin catalytic converters, foul spark plugs, etc.

Now with an OPEN LOOP engine management that does not use the MAF sensor (ie hydra, or autronix) then you can tune out this problem. Well... what if you just really like the PSHHHH sound? or what if you are running in excess of 18 lbs of boost?? Then there's a solution.

Dual vent valves, such as APS's blow off valve, have a 2 stage setup. At low boost the spring allows the valve to open half way, and vent back into the intake tract like a stock RBV, but at high boost, it opens all the way and dumps the air back into the atmosphere.

Now how does this solve the problem? Well... like I said earlier, you can tune out the absence of intake air with an open loop EM, but you need the air to recirculate with closed loop. You will only be developing high boost (vent to atmosphere w/ APS) at WOT, which is also the open loop cycle, then at low boost the spring keeps the venting back into the intake tract, and maintains driveability, while not ruining cats, injectors, etc.

That's why I say, I'd only use an APS Dual Vent BOV.

if that wasn't clear, feel free to ask any ?'s.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    i have an aps dual vent bov for tmics

i dont use it anymore since i put my front mount on
    How much u want for it aaron?
    Previous owner of Rubie a 2005 WRX
    New owner of Molly a 2009 WRX
    Rally armor UR FTW/Red tail light mod w/insert
    **Catback in 2 months!