Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Official Southern Oregon Thread

195K views 3K replies 59 participants last post by  rally02wrx 
#1 ·
Any ideas?

:cool:

(I just spent the last 30 minutes laughing my ass of at the medfordtuners.com web site.)

I am actually still laughing..

still..

okay..

I'm done now.

#1,452 ·
rally02wrx said:
i think i might go watch the rally in hillsboro...
get a job you bastard [expressing my frustration of having to work evey damn weekend.] :mad:

So... I've got a choice here between 02 wrx rims w/ bridgestone RE950s (not re92s) at somewhere over half tread-- $470 shipped

or

01 RS rims (I think that's the year - the one w/ the skinny straight spokes) w/ cheap kumho solus allseasons w/ over 80% tread-- $450 picked up in salem

...Any thoughts? I'm leaning toward the second option cause I like the rims so much more, and I don't like the idea of paying $100 to ship the other ones...

#1,454 ·
That's pretty much my view- I've had wrx rims- and yeah, pretty bland. The rs rims have sharper cuts on them and would look much better on a lowered GF wagon, imo. Also, the rs rims are 16x7 which allows for a wider tire if I want to (the kumhos on there now are only 205/55/16)... not much protection from curbs...

So you can fit 215 width tires on 6.5" rims- what can 7"ers handle (I think I can only run up to 215 w/out rubbing issues... but the offset on these may make a difference in that- who knows.

Wade-0 said:
If it were me, I'd take the RS rims and put different rubber on them. Those are one of the few 16" rims that will clear the subaru 4pots, if you ever happen to go that route. And the WRX rims are just plain boring.

#1,456 ·
hey- i work, just weird hours. as we speak im covered in a shatty kind of primer that WILL NOT come off my hands, and its been like 4 hrs since i painted. time to break out some ammonia. anyways, i have never been to a rally before, hopefully i can go. are there any sort of rallyX events in the southern oregon region? we should find a lot and start our own!

#1,457 ·
Noelle and I are planning on going to the Oregon Trail rally. We went 2 years ago, and it was pretty fun. Cold and muddy, but fun.

If you plan on doing a lot of RallyX or gravel driving, you might want to pass on that front sway bar. Big bars take the independence out of your suspension, and basically cause your car to bounce over uneven terrain. But it's a good upgrade if you plan on AutoX'ing.

#1,458 ·
oh yeah *. the gravel/rally driving is for the 1992 Loyale Wagon. The wrx needs some TLC for a while, only occasional gravel drifting.

#1,459 ·
rally02wrx said:
we should find a lot and start our own!
I've always thought the rogue valley should have somesort of organized rally scene- even if it was just a rallyx lot for sanctioned ORG events... But hell, there are plenty of roads worthy of closing off temporarily for a stage rally - I'm sure we could put together quite the course w/ tarmac, dirt and/or gravel...

Maybe just start asking people out in the sticks w/ huge empty lots whether they'd be interested... I'm not sure if private land can be used though anyway- there are probably somekind of regulatrions or somethin'. I'm sure attending a rallycross in hillsboro would give me a better idea what's needed in a site.

I'm sure it's a matter or logistics, organization, and initiative, rather than lack of potential interested competitors. ... though they did get over 120 cars at the last one in p-town

#1,461 ·
has anybody done the install of steering rack bushings? I've heard it's quite a ***** and have been hesitant to get some, but I've also heard they make quite a difference...

I got a high-flow cat today and will be having a shop fab up a replica cat section to finish off my exhaust- should help the gas mileage on the freeway... I hope

#1,462 ·
Hey guys I dont know if any of you would be interested but I have a friend selling an
03 Subaru 2.5rs Sedan
you know what the car has
it has the big fog lights, premium sound, wrx spoiler and splash guards, it is a 5 speed manual trans. 38,000 miles, it has been well serviced, the 30k was completed on the car. He says he wants around $16k obo for it, probably pretty negotiable because he did buy the car brand new and has been the only owner, it is also adult owned. The car is dark blue. Shane- 541-944-8460

#1,463 ·
the_black_one said:
has anybody done the install of steering rack bushings? I've heard it's quite a ***** and have been hesitant to get some, but I've also heard they make quite a difference...
Yup, and yup. Passenger side takes about 5 minutes. I fought with the driver side for about 45, until in a fit of anger I just decided to "force" the power steering lines out of the way, which actually had a lot more give than I expected, and it slipped right in. So I guess you just have to be aggressive with it ;)

#1,465 ·
chowder said:
just have competitors sign a waiver releasing the land owners of liability. we do this at my friends cousin's house when we paintball, and it was written by the cousin who is a lawyer.
yeah, wouldnt something like that work? nobody really gets hurt in rallyX (normally), im not talking about full out stage rally. i just found out we own this field in front of my house, but its on a hill and wouldnt look great for our B&B customers....:rolleyes:

my friends and i sometimes rally around the lot adjacent to Shop N Kart, behind OilStop.. We call it 'hobo rally' because hobos are always next to the abandoned building and we joke about bonus points for hitting them (kidding, seriously) and stuff like that. anyways i have only done it in the Xterra when its either rained or a little bit of slush so i can drift in RWD on tarmac around the building....what boredom brings in Ashland. So if you see an Xterra, 86 Accord and a volvo wagon in the middle of the night....

#1,466 ·
haha i google earthed it. i've only done it liek twice but heres what it is, just to clarify:
red for first time aorund building, then goes into blue second to the end. :rotfl: :rotfl:

#1,469 ·
kinda pointless in the Rex though, except maybe the whole dirt lot. the building is fun to drift in the xterra in rain, but i always come really close to touching the nose of the car on the last corner of the building.

#1,470 ·
rally02wrx said:
yeah, wouldnt something like that work? nobody really gets hurt in rallyX (normally), im not talking about full out stage rally. i just found out we own this field in front of my house, but its on a hill and wouldnt look great for our B&B customers....:rolleyes:
The big grassy field between clay and mary jane? With the clothesline on the clay st. side? I thought my landlord said he owned that... :confused: Or are you further up the hill? ...

Oh, and why I'm up at this hour on tues. morning? ...at work. :( :sleepy:

#1,471 · (Edited)
For anyone interested in a nice set of strut bars, Aaron Brown up in Portland is selling his:

Cusco type OS front and rear strut bars $80.00 each or $150 for both.

Same guy who sold Andy his Prodrive wheels, I bought my springs off him too. Nice guy. ou can email him at: aaron_brown_71 at yahoo dot com.

#1,472 ·
Wade-0 said:
For anyone interested in a nice set of strut bars, Aaron Brown up in Portland is selling his:

Same guy who sold Andy his Prodrive wheels, I bought my springs off him too. Nice guy. ou can email him at: aaron_brown_71 at yahoo dot com.
80 bucks sounds cheap, but... no money.:sadwave:

umm i dont think there is a clotheline anywhere, we are at the top of the hill. the horses. my neighbour's horses are in the field.

#1,473 ·
ya- i think clay goes up quite a bit further...

Just thought I'd ask- Would anyone possibly be interested in buying a flat panel display (Dell 17" ultrasharp w/ height adj. stand)... I was going to put it on ebay if I can't find someone local- It's in excellent condition and I'm looking for $190. PM me if you're interested...

#1,474 ·
okay i went for a drive today, hit up 1/4 mile of buckthorn road- wrx's are so rally-bred its not even funny! ahh! too fast! i'm too scared to take any corner at speed because i would be able to carry to much speed, and without experience, crash.
anyways my cutout broke, the screws that hold the flange were minus one and the internal valve that looks like a throttle plate was completely loose...so when i came home, everyone knew.

#1,475 ·
Wade-0 said:

possibly going to pick these up from him on sat.
does anyone have these installed?
will i absolutely LOVE the feeling after their installed?
how much difference will they make?
price is good, but is it really worth it?
any other things i should know before i get them from him?

#1,476 ·
chowder said:
pwill i absolutely LOVE the feeling after their installed?
how much difference will they make?
price is good, but is it really worth it?
It really depends on what other suspension upgrades you have done. Most likely, you won't notice much of a diference, if at all. Some people swear by them, some say there are better ways to spend your money. I'm just doing a rear brace in my wagon (if I can ever find anyone that actually has them in stock that is!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.