Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Official Southern Oregon Thread

195K views 3K replies 59 participants last post by  rally02wrx 
#1 ·
Any ideas?

:cool:

(I just spent the last 30 minutes laughing my ass of at the medfordtuners.com web site.)

I am actually still laughing..

still..

okay..

I'm done now.

#1,202 ·
The VF22 is a tranny killer. Make sure you have enough money left over for a new (or rebuilt) tranny. I have a friend in Eugene who swapped his VF22 for a VF39 (STI take off) and loves it. You also might check out the Mitsu turbos, like a Super 16G. That's probably the route I'll go whenever I get around to it.

#1,203 ·
tranny killer..yes i know... i think i could be nice to it, like be very cautious in the 1-2 before gears. i would have to allow for gears within a few months, youre right. im researching the cost of putting in RA 1, 2 and 3 gears.

it seems the easiest way for me to upgrade is the vf34, as tuning is provided by a simple download onto my AP. They dont offer a map of the 22, i would have to go to PDX or something, which costs more money. i really think the 22 is the turbo i want, but what you want isnt always feasible. i would also want a new intercooler with the 22. we'll see. i love how excited i get and freak out over which turbo to buy before i even have a chance to buy it....

Wade, why did he swap a vf22 for a 39? was it the fear of the tranny? the "prick" at my school is getting a vf39, and i know it looks like i'm upgrading to compete with himn, but i really could care less. i think i'll be much faster with a vf34 though..

and after all this, by about that time i think he may have crashed so i can buy his sway bars for cheap!

#1,204 · (Edited)
Wade-0 said:
You also might check out the Mitsu turbos, like a Super 16G. That's probably the route I'll go whenever I get around to it.
Super 16 is the way i'm going too... except with an APS (black) FMIC instead of a larger TMIC

Also Marty, regardless of the turbo you pick, you'll need to upgrade your IC, Injectors and FP... PDX does Protunes for 150+Dyno time if you want (highly suggested for turbo tunes)

#1,205 ·
rally02wrx said:
tWade, why did he swap a vf22 for a 39? was it the fear of the tranny? the "prick" at my school is getting a vf39, and i know it looks like i'm upgrading to compete with himn, but i really could care less. i think i'll be much faster with a vf34 though..
Partially because he didn't like it around town, partially because you can get them relatively cheap, and partially because he talked it over with Tim Bailey at PDXTuning and was told that the VF39 is actually a great turbo for the 2.0. He installed a Perrin FMIC at the same time as the VF39 and got a custom EcuTek dyno tune from PDX. He recently upgraded to RA gears because he wanted to, not because he had to.

#1,206 ·
i know everything i need, but i dont plan on a new IC yet. it's not required on a vf34. Highly recommended on a vf22 though. So how does the Super 16 compare with teh vf34? if they are relatively equal i would still go with teh IHI cause of ease of tuning.

I know some dyno time really helps, but i dont htink i'll have the money for it yet. The kid at my school has had time on a dyno (well i know he has a ProTune at least) as well as more mods and i still pull on him slightly on the highway..

btw the package from Gruppe-S a company i went to a lot when i lived in cali sells for 1250- including vf34, Wallbro FP and STi pinks. When i see a used STi IC i may spring for it and some hoses, but its still a chunk of money i might want to put towards sways, insurance, fixing stuff, etc..

#1,207 ·
rally02wrx said:
So how does the Super 16 compare with teh vf34? if they are relatively equal i would still go with teh IHI cause of ease of tuning.
They're pretty close. For your needs (and budget), you'd probably be happier with a VF series turbo. I don't think there's any significant difference between the 30/34/39 turbos, but if you're running an off the shelf map for a VF34, you should probably stick to that turbo.

#1,208 · (Edited)
the super 16 costs as much as a vf-34 package with fp and injectors. plus i would need a tune.

If i get the vf-34 with a COBB map, down the road when i am done modding more (or done for the time) like a new TMIC, IC hoses and whatnot, i can get a protune from PDX, when i have more things to benefit from and more cash.

#1,209 ·
I would seriously do an IC with the new turbo regardless of which one you go for. Just from speaking with Owen at PDX he pushes the limits of his aftermarket top mount with a 16g, not the super16 but the FP16 which is smaller. If nothing else put that in your budget.

#1,210 ·
PDXtuning.com

For those who are interested, I just spoke with Travis at PDX... and he said that a guy up north who wanted to dyno his stage2 before and after protune. A PDXtuning protuned accessport made 30whp and 27wtq over the COBB stage2 map.

A Protune alone w/o dyno time is only 150 bucks.... so for those of you with the COBB stage 2 maps.... 150 bucks and you've got 30 more WHP.... that's HUGE :) anyway, that's all.

#1,211 ·
Essvar said:
For those who are interested, I just spoke with Travis at PDX... and he said that a guy up north who wanted to dyno his stage2 before and after protune. A PDXtuning protuned accessport made 30whp and 27wtq over the COBB stage2 map.

A Protune alone w/o dyno time is only 150 bucks.... so for those of you with the COBB stage 2 maps.... 150 bucks and you've got 30 more WHP.... that's HUGE :) anyway, that's all.
I was actually going to recommend that Marty check with PDX about getting a stage 4 map for the VF39, since you can get them for much less than a 34, and Doc Bailey thinks they are the best VF turbo you can put on a 2.0 liter. The turbo savings should pay for the Pro map, and maybe even part of an IC upgrade.

#1,212 ·
30 whp from a tune on an already 'tuned' car? thats amazing, i doubt its normal, but it shows how important that is, even if it was 20 thats impressive at the least...

so i talked to Owen at PDX and figured some thing out. for me to get the 16G, it would cost me about 2,300 for everything, including a used STi IC that he said would probably be adequate. That includes installation, as i cant really limp up there with it all installed, or some of it installed. So its pretty much out of the question.

My budget isnt like around 1500 and could go up to 2300, its more like im still in high school and a vf34 wont kill the bank. 1250 for a kit, or i might try and find em separately if i choose to go with modified stock injectors, but i doubt i will cause mine are almost 90k old.

once i feel comforatble spending again, i think i will buy an STi IC or whatever i can find that is good for around 350, and maybe a protune with some dyno time, which is about 450 bucks...and i still want sway bars..

so as far as my choices, i uess its just down to the vf34, unless i find out enough info that the sleeve-type bearing vf30 is any better..

#1,213 ·
rally02wrx said:
so i talked to Owen at PDX and figured some thing out. for me to get the 16G, it would cost me about 2,300 for everything, including a used STi IC that he said would probably be adequate. That includes installation, as i cant really limp up there with it all installed, or some of it installed. So its pretty much out of the question.
I think you should ask Owen about the cost of a VF39 STI takeoff turbo, STI pinks, Walbro FP, and a PDX Tuning staged map for your AP (off the shelf) for a 2.0l with a VF39. I see the VF39's with low mileage going for $4-500 all the time. It's practically the same turbo as the VF34.

#1,214 ·
I think i'm going with the 16G. (theres a 4 page thread on me on fanatics, too)
i called PDX again and this time talked to tyler (i think), and asked abotu what maps they could send me. I would order the turbo, modded injectors and Walbro from them, all for less than the price of a vf34 package, plus a new TurboXS TMIC....then they said they would throw in a off the shelf map for it. i know its not a ProTune, but im sure its less conservative than COBB's vf34... and all for about 350 more than the vf package with pinks and no new TMIC, and a better tune.... sounds good to me.

i just have to research teh Super 16G....

#1,216 ·
Hey guys!!

Haven't been on here in forever. Hope everyone is doing well.

Been super busy with work, etc..

Anyways, for an update, I am still stock. :(

I still have seen quite a few wrx around town. I see the blue STI with the rally stickers all over it constantly, and I always wave.

I also saw the black wagon with exhaust the other day (Yes, I do know your name, it just ins't coming to me right now)

Also someone in a blue STI had jury duty the other day, I spotted him parked outside my office.

Other then that, I hope to post a little more soon!

#1,217 ·
Essvar said:

Troy knock it off..... You're gonna make me spend more money.........:tongue:

#1,219 ·
so if i need to install injectors, fuel pump and turbo, do you think you guys could help? i mean, if you plan on it in the future, i'll let you practice on my car. i'll buy pizza and anything like that... it would be early April i hope..

#1,220 ·
rally02wrx said:
so if i need to install injectors, fuel pump and turbo, do you think you guys could help? i mean, if you plan on it in the future, i'll let you practice on my car. i'll buy pizza and anything like that... it would be early April i hope..
I think I might be willing to give it a shot. I've heard the injector install is a real PITA though.

#1,221 ·
yeah, injector and turbo are both rated around 2hrs, fuel pump 1. i'm def. going to do some research on all this. anyone else want to help? free lunch...and dinner maybe if it takes that long haha
i cant really install (or have a shop install) the injectors and then drive around before the new turbo/fp and map are in, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.