The Official Southern Oregon Thread - Page 112

This is a discussion on The Official Southern Oregon Thread within the North Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by HONSUBY my rex is in at sosvm. they think that we may have lost something in the ...

Quote Originally Posted by HONSUBY
    my rex is in at sosvm. they think that we may have lost something in the bottom end.................still waiting for the prognosis..............they also dont know if our warranty is going to cover the repairs or not.
    Any updates on this yet?
    '02 Alpine White WRX Wagon - PDXTuning EcuTek Stage 2 + TMIC
    Some stuff that makes it cooler, unless you work for Subaru, in which case it's completely stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nope, i went in on friday on my lunch and the motor was out of the car, but he hadnt torn it
    down yet. They are thinking that if its a spun rod bearing or a oil starved bearing then warranty would cover it, however if its a melted or cracked piston then im screwed. i emailed pdx about
    a built short block, but still no response. me and the wife discussed trading the rex in on a new car, but after she turned on the water works i was like: (in that totally married, ***** wupped and ***** ass voice) its ok honey if warranty doesnt cover it we'll get a built short block and i'll have the thing tuned at pdx...................................GOD IM A SUCKER so if warranty does cover it there goes the funds for a new project. Oh speaking of new project does anyone around here know of a datsun 510 that is laying around
    or that someone has for sale? Im selling my integra--completely fed up with honduhs. i want something that is different and some thing that you dont see every day, whats more different that a 510 with a twin cam 2.0 on boost? or maybe a 3.0 v6 twin turbo? if i could id try a suby motor i would but, the things are to wide to fine between the strut towers=)

Exclamation Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gentlemen let me warn you, if you have any shred of integrity or an honest bone in your body leave it a home when you take your car in for warranty work. That means put your stock **** on your car, and i mean everything back to stock including the ecu. The tech found that the #4 rod was shot which caused the cyl to go out of round by 3000 of an inch. causing excessive piston slap and rod knock. The district subaru rep told me and i qoute " because your car has no cats in the exhaust system it is no longer legal to drive on public roads, there fore we cannot and will not warranty your motor or any other drive train part, whether the failure is caused by an aftermarket part that you installed, a dealer installed, or by a factory defect in you motor". I then said " so the tech just told me that nothing we have done to the car caused this issue and he believes that the issue was due to a factory defect in the motor, your going to hide behide some bull**** " your car doesnt have cats" excuse and basically take my ass rammin' and like it.? He then repeated his statement above. At this point I was so pissed off that i nearly decked him. I dont hold this situation against the guys at sosvm, as they tried as hard as they could to convince the rep that this was a bunch of B.S. and that the damage was not due to any of the stuff that we did. The pecker just didnt give a f*&^. So if you think that there is any way that subaru is going to cut you any slack with warranty stuff--think again. Guys please learn from my f-up and play it safe!! This is like a 5 grand oops on my part, just cause i tried to do the right thing and be honest. So now i have to find out if they will cover any thing on the car if it breaks, after i put the car back to stock, because they now know that the car has been modded in the past. If they void the warranty on the car ---then shes going down the road. So if you see our car on a lot somewhere its probably not a good idea to buy it ---plus i will probably be selling the hks uppipe, downpipe, turboback and the access port. I'll keep you posted if im going to sell the parts and how much if anyone wants them.

if i'm wrong correct me, but through numerous threads on this board, and nasioc...SOA is bad about covering warranties, but if the part cannot be directly linked to the problem (e.g. ecu dying because you had reflashed, or your turbo goes out and you have a mbc or something like that) they must honor the warranty. in this case, the problem was internal and unless the excessive piston slap was liked to something crazy like too little pressure because of a free-flowing exhaust, they still have to warranty the car. just like if your power windows go out, they have to warranty it even if you had a fully built race motor put in your car.

am i incorrect?

from my experience of the last five years working at dealerships, you are correct about the warranty covering other systems in the car. My concern is not the other systems-**** anyone can afford/replace a window regulator or something along those lines, im more concerned with the motor/drivetrain systems. What im worried about is if i put all the stock stuff back on and reflash the ecu so that everything is stock, will warranty then cover a parts or system failure----im thinking no............just because of the fact that they know the car was modded at one time or another. So if i replace the motor and in two months the same b.s. happens will they cover it this time? or if the trans starts grinding or popping out of gear will they cover the trans or say, well you had modds on the car before and they could have caused damage to the trans so now we arent going to cover the trans issues. I mean hell they already turned down a claim on a motor failure that thier own tech said had no connection with the mods done to the car. So at what point does the coverage start or stop?......................sorry for the ***** fit im still just a tad pissed off.-----does anyone have a white 05 sti that wants to trade for a 05 rex that may or may not still have a warranty?

Time to call SOA. This BS has been tried in the past against people, and it's not the way warranty is supposed to work.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803106
    Last edited by carrman; 06-20-2006 at 06:08 PM.

do you have their phone # or address ( i want to send them a strongly worded letter) i just had to go to the bank and get a friggen loan on my integra for 4500. ---thank god for Bo he hooked me up with parts at his cost, so now ive got it down to 3500 for parts and labor. I talked to the guys at sosvm and they believe that if anything else happens drivetrain wise im screwed, because they know that the car has been modded in the past--just another reason for them to stick me in the ass. This whole situation has left me with a serious lack of trust in subaru. I dont know if i can justify getting the another subaru for my wife. she really wants something another rex ( cause its was friggen quik, before it took a ****) and she wont really like a stock rex, cause it was kind of a dog before the upgrades. And after this crap im kinda tapped out on funds --so i dont really know if i could afford or even want an sti. what kind of crap would i have to go through to get a repair done on that car? or how much would it cost to repair?------------------sorry for the rant, between work and this i think im having a mental melt down

oh, also to clarify i am aware of the fact that the other systems of the car will be covered on the warranty, its the drive-train that they will likely decline all new claims on, due to the fact that they know that the car has a history of mods and that in thier minds ( if they have one) that means that the car has been rode hard and put away wet, there fore due to the mods the drivetrain systems could have been affected by the aftermarket parts, the key word in that sentence is "could"--thats all they need to deny a claim. i dont know about you guys but with a morgage, bills and a 400.00 car payment its hard to fork out money on a new trans if it dies

Quote Originally Posted by HONSUBY
    oh, also to clarify i am aware of the fact that the other systems of the car will be covered on the warranty, its the drive-train that they will likely decline all new claims on, due to the fact that they know that the car has a history of mods and that in thier minds ( if they have one) that means that the car has been rode hard and put away wet, there fore due to the mods the drivetrain systems could have been affected by the aftermarket parts, the key word in that sentence is "could"--thats all they need to deny a claim.
    i'm thinking you may have misunderstood me. sorry if this is what you thought though.

what i meant when i used an example of a window switch going out and being repaired under warranty even if you had a TBE is to illustrate the fact that the tbe has nothing to do with a window switch going out. just like your mods have nothing to do with piston slap

I think you're pretty much hosed if they can prove you altered the factory ECU. That's one of the biggest benefits of getting an AccessPort: you can return the ECU to the stock parameters and unmarry AccessPort before taking it to the dealership.

Edit: one more thing that worries me about their choice of words (assuming you quoted them accurately) is that they seem to be implying that since you have removed all the cats in your exhaust, which is a violation of federal law, they are refusing to warranty your vehicle. Not necessarily because the car was modified, but because that particular mod is actually a federal offense. and something that would possibly be brought up if you took any type of legal action. This may be the kind of situation that if you push back too hard, you might get burnt. Especially considering that they have all the evidence they need locked up in their garage.
    Last edited by Wade-0; 06-20-2006 at 11:28 PM.
    Some stuff that makes it cooler, unless you work for Subaru, in which case it's completely stock.

Check this post out in that "they voided my warranty" thread over at NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&postcount=79

The dude is a lawyer who specializes in dealer fraud and lemon laws, and is offering free advice. You might shoot him a PM and see if he can steer you in the right direction.

hey guys, its been a while. so the subie has been not so good lately, i've been on a few runs up Green Springs or Dead Indian and since the 'mom hitting curb' ordeal, the car is noticeably worse anythign above 6/10ths. Braking hard makes the car a little squirelly, accelerating too. Stuff that you can't explain also, just the feel of the car will never be true i dont think.

Anyways so i bought a car last week. For a while i had been researchign BMWs, and had spotted a nice one a few months back in La Jolla SoCal. Last week i flew down, test drove and bought the car for 1800 bucks. It's a 1991 318is. the 1991 was the only year with this engine, its a four cylinder, chain driven, dual cam, etc.. Actually a very high-tech engine, despite only a 1.8 liter, about 138hp/127tq. It weighs 2525 lbs, and i think i can get that down to a little under 2500. With a chip i am ordering tonight i will redline at 7. I plan on suspension and Azenis as my mods, and a clutch and LWFW after that, as my stock clutch is showing some age at 150k.

I figured this will keep me occupied for a while and i can finally say i have my OWN car, which is pretty nice. So i will probably be frequenting this site less, but I still have the subie to drive with you guys in the mountains. my goal is to take you all on in my NA, tiny displacement bimmer....(on a downhill, of course.)

cheers
    bmw addict. often a practicing rwd purist.
    still coping with how ready the impreza platform is to outperform my skillset with its own.
    out there in the forests...

oh yeah, and police suck. so i drove up from the LA area with my brother in his e30 bmw, and we went rather slow in case my car had any trouble. once in Ashland, a buddy of mine comes over and i take him for a test drive, heading out towards the lake from my house on CLay. I have no registration, plates or insurance on the car. I figured, i just made it up form LA, passing cops that didnt care, so what the heck. so im heading out toward the lake and hit 110 on that long sweeping right. then i slow down, sign says suggested 35 on the next left (by Reiten Road on the right), then there is another Left after that. I slow down to a cruising pace and easily corner....a cop is in the oncoming lane, kinda far away..i slow a little but i was doing about 60 so i didnt really worry much, only about my plates. I stare in my mirror, and to my dismay see a cloud of dust and flashing lights. Not again! So i keep going, and pull in Mavericks to be a nice little boy and wait for the officer. He talks to me a while and writes me a ticket for 64 in a Suggested 35. I tell him thats not legit, he says it is, and goes to his car. I had told him (without arguing) that you cant give a ticket for the suggested, maybe he could make it 64 in a 55. Then, he realizes i am right, and scribbles over the ticket. NIce. Then he gives me a citation for the registration, a non-moving violation for 97 bucks. I got lucky, i guess. So the car actually cost me $1897.
    still coping with how ready the impreza platform is to outperform my skillset with its own.

Quote Originally Posted by rally02wrx
    He talks to me a while and writes me a ticket for 64 in a Suggested 35. I tell him thats not legit, he says it is, and goes to his car. I had told him (without arguing) that you cant give a ticket for the suggested, maybe he could make it 64 in a 55. Then, he realizes i am right, and scribbles over the ticket. NIce. Then he gives me a citation for the registration, a non-moving violation for 97 bucks. I got lucky, i guess. So the car actually cost me $1897.
    You should have just taken the ticket, then had it thrown out in court. His only chance to fix it would be if he realized his mistake on his own before your court appearance, and that sounds unlikely. Oh well, live and learn. I had my fair share of encounters with cops when I was your age, and it didn't really seem to matter what I said or did. They just seem to have it out for young guys. I got so many speeding tickets that I was dropped from my insurance when I was 20.

understood, and i thought about just taking it, but i was glad when he changed it to a non-moving violation, which would have further slaughtered my insurance. 97 bucks isnt too bad. If i took it to court, (and it was a state trooper, btw) i feared more stuff would be brought up, like me not having the car registered or insured at the time....which could have ended up costly. plus, i was speeding either way. or do they throw that with one mistake?