The Official Idaho Thread - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Official Idaho Thread within the North Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; You are welcome. The main thing I do not understand is I was supposed to be their first big subaru ...

You are welcome. The main thing I do not understand is I was supposed to be their first big subaru build and be used to promote their shop. What do they think is impressive about maybe eventually getting the car to run? Being way over budget and past schedule is a disaster in my book.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trollarc View Post
    You are welcome. The main thing I do not understand is I was supposed to be their first big subaru build and be used to promote their shop. What do they think is impressive about maybe eventually getting the car to run? Being way over budget and past schedule is a disaster in my book.
    Thanks for the heads up Tollarc. I messaged them on Facebook and they never responded, so it would appear that they are slow all around.

Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Tollarc. I messaged them on Facebook and they never responded, so it would appear that they are slow all around.
    ya, my buddy looked them up on facebook as well, sent a friend request and they accepted like right then, he then messaged them, but they still havent responded. soooo, i really think it'd be best to try to avoid them all around.

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1997 S-10 zr2- work/quad hauler
    1991 crx si-r- all motor B16
    1989 crx si- beater

"It looks like Scarface sneezed on you car!"

Quote Originally Posted by eddie-mondo View Post
    ya, my buddy looked them up on facebook as well, sent a friend request and they accepted like right then, he then messaged them, but they still havent responded. soooo, i really think it'd be best to try to avoid them all around.
    Open source here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by rc_wizard View Post
    Open source here I come!
    Ya. Exactly... Need to find a tactrix cable.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

Hi Idaho WRX owners new to the forum work out of state but i still go home to the LC valley. Anyone from that area?

Spitfire tuning was given my car on the 21st of November, 2011.
    Here is a log of the text messages between me and spitfire:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hZlXgzjG8/edit
    Here is a little bit of a summary of my experience with spitfire:
    I have not got my car back yet.

It is not properly tuned, I have to get it towed to topspeed tuning to get it actually completed properly.
    If you are getting work done to a subaru and are considering them, I recommend ANY better known subaru tuner instead.

They told me it was going to take one week- so I left the car with them.
    They had issues. They told me it was due to the holidays (thanksgiving was that week). They said it was going to be an additional week.
    So I ordered a few additional parts/had some parts show up (I ordered a new drivers side mirror because the old one was damaged, and I had the kstech scoop delete I previously ordered show up).

This is a short summary of the back and forth communications via text I had with them- I have not gotten to posting the complete logs yet, please bare with me:

December 10th they informed me they needed to buy additional parts for the water meth kit

December 17th they told me those parts would not arrive until monday december 19th

December 19th they informed me they had a problem fitting the turbo/manifold setup on.

December 22nd I sent them additional money because they had additional coating work to do/they needed money to pay for the additional water meth parts.

December 29th they promised to have it done by the following Thursday (which was the 5th of January, 2012)

January 2nd I felt it was pretty clear they were not going to have it done on time because of pictures sent to me- So I filed a paypal dispute thinking they were never going to finish the car.

January 6th (the day after the previously promised delivery date) they informed me they had a problem with the coating guy and they didnt get the parts back.

January 11th they told me it would be tuned that friday (the 13th).

The 12th I asked them if they were going to finish the car and who the tuner in New Zealand they were working with was (I eventually switched the tuner they were working with to Jessie because his hours working better).

January 13th I ask if the car is running they pretty much say no.

January 16th I tell them to get it ready to be shipped across country. They tell me to "chill"
    (there had been a problem with the hubs because they had left the car sitting on its wheels with no axles- and they were replacing the hubs at their expense).

January 21st they manage to convince me to stupidly withdraw my paypal disputes (should have brought these to claims to force the issue, but I did not).

January 22nd-25th I personally helped finding a replacement starter.
    They had an issue with the aquamist wiring that caused an injector to be always open flooding the cylinder.
    I was present when they troubleshot it down to wiring.
    I asked them to do a compression check because I thought it may have blown fuel across the rings.
    They changed the oil and got 2 gallons of gas with the oil.
    They did not do a compression test until we were unable to get the car even running- the head gaskets were blown.

January 31st they told me the retune would begin that saturday (4th of febuary 2012)

Febuary 4th they told me to stick with the plan (which was too put up with them lieing to me).

Febuary 8th they said they would have it on the way that week (ended on the 11th).

Febuary 11th they told me their computer got screwed up so they needed me to tell them the correct version of ecuflash to use (I had previously got their computer a working version when it was a problem before).

Since then, they "finished" my car and started shipping it (It was supossedly turned over to the shipping company two weeks ago (which would be febuary 28th, 2012) and the shipper had a problem with their card/did not contact them- so it sat in storage for a week.
    The whole time I was bothering them to get the shipper's info, which they did not release to me until I told them I was considering legal action and if they did not tell me my lawyer would have to go through them to get the information.

The shipper has told me I should be expecting the car Wednesday.

Before I can drive it, it needs a tune to make it safe. Spitfire refused to work with Jessie by not communicating ahead of time to arrange a tune. I do not trust their tune because they told me it throws multiple codes and the car runs rich.
    I am also going to get a compression/leakdown check because I do not know if they have done this since replacing the headgaskets.

Spitfire has claimed to me that they cost less and do better than other shops.
    Since it has been >3 months and the job is not really done:
    They will cost WAY MORE due to:
    Expensive rework on tune ($700 + $200 paid to Jessie who was not used)
    Rental car time (I spent $800 on a rental car. If I had not had another less than ideal way of getting around, this figure would have been $2500+).
    Checking that they actually did the job right (probably only $150 or so, depends on results).

Other shops have:
    More experience.
    More proven track record.

I made a mistake going to them, I did not learn that going to a shop that has a history makes more sense than going to a local shop who claims they will do a good job (I believed them too).
    I hope someone else learns from my mistakes.
    Last edited by trollarc; 03-13-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Yeah i'm definitely no going to them now. And certainly won't recommend them.

I know the following about Spitfire Tuning in Pocatello, Idaho:
    They will use your cars "parts" to "fix" other cars that need to be done immediately, then your car will sit and wait for another car of the same or similar enough type to swap parts on comes in to "donate" parts for your car. They even do this with dealership cars they get to fix for the small dealership they work with here in Pocatello. Resulting in your car being very late on delivery.
    Funds are mismanaged and beer parties abound...hmmm, a correlation?
    They repeatedly rev the engines on the cars they work on at very high rpms, and race the cars. If an engine is running rough, they rev it up over and over in order to "clean it up." I know of at least one engine they have blown this way.
    They are not reputable at all, and don't care if they rake you over the coals and empty your wallet until you wizen up and no longer trust them.
    They are only college kids who started their own shop so they would not have to do a "real" internship at a real shop in order to pass their courses.
    Be forewarned!
    As a side note, I am in no way affiliated with Spitfire Tuning or with any of their customers...satisfied or unsatisfied, nor have I ever been. I am just tired of seeing innocent people being taken advantage of, their nice cars ruined, and their wallets emptied. As none of Spitfire's unsatisfied customers have pressed charges, Spitfire is still pulling the same bad treatment on unsuspecting car owners who go to Spitfire hoping for a "cool" car and end up very sad indeed. Please...Please spread the word and warn others.

In Coeur D Alene reppin 208

Here is a closer to complete rehash of what has happened between me and Spitfire Tuning (Pocatello, Idaho).

11/15/2011 I paid Drew Hennesey (acting on behalf of Spitfire Tuning, LLC) $2500 for parts to modify the engine in my 2004 Subaru Impreza. They ordered the parts and I brought the car in 11/21/11. 11/24/2011 they informed me I needed to pay an additional $980 for the engine build- which I paid (I paid for additional work at the same time).

I came in to the shop to try to get them to finish around 1/16/2012 as I was getting ready to leave the state for work. They attempted to start the engine for hours to no avail. I was present when it was determined to be a wiring problem that caused one of the injectors to stick open, hydro-locking the engine. I told them to do a compression check (they ignored me).They fixed the wiring problem, changed the oil (2 gallons of gasoline came out with the old oil), then restarted attempts to get the car running. After five hours of not being able to get the car to idle properly, they did a compression check revealing blown headgaskets.

Upon finding out it would take more than a week to replace the head gaskets, we agreed that the car would be shipped. 1/26/2012 I sent Drew Hennesey another $600 to cover shipping and some additional parts.

Spitfire Tuning replaced the gasket set at cost to the shop,
    When I received the car in March, the additional work covered by the $600 was not completed and I had to pay the truck driver $800 (full cost of the shipping).

I took the car to Draco Performance in North Carolina, where they found a major oil leak from the rear main seal (which I brought up to Matthew Williams from Spitfire Tuning- he reported it as “normal”), They also preformed a compression check that came out bad. Engine teardown revealed that the crank was damaged. This damage caused debris in the engine oil which damaged the cylinders, pistons, cams, and other engine components.

Yo. Im Jason from up in Coeur d'alene

wife has a 04 wrx. Im a diesel guy but im actually enjoying driving the car more then my truck. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	470678_10150779002977532_354720164_o.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	105742

Idaho Falls,

Stage1 02 Bugeye WRX, waiting for my DP to ship so I can go Stage2.

Anyone gone to Redshift on Lewisville Highway to dyno yet??

Ya, I know of one guy who went there, but just for dyno only. Not tuning services. Heard their tuning services are no Bueno. But if your just looking to dyno then sure.

Not sure if the guy that went there is on this forum or not. He is on IDSubaruclub.com, and nasioc. His s/n is mert34, if u wanted to ask him about them

2003 WRX- Newbie
    1989 crx si- beater

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.