CEL stage 1 in Portland

This is a discussion on CEL stage 1 in Portland within the North Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Looking for recommendations in Pdx to help tune my 2002 and delete the po420 from existence. Car is stock other ...

CEL stage 1 in Portland

Looking for recommendations in Pdx to help tune my 2002 and delete the po420 from existence. Car is stock other than 3" COBB turbo back. Just picked up the car and sorting it out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Horizontal Motorsports has a great reputation and very good prices.

Thanks will look them up!

Sounds like you should get a tune. Isn't P&L up around there too?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Horizontal does everything Subie, they tuned my car and it is amazing. They have the best reputation of any NW tuning shop by far. It says a lot about a shop when employees from other shops call the main guy at HMS ''amazing''.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUPATROOPA View Post
    They have the best reputation of any NW tuning shop by far.
    Sorry, but I'm inclined to be skeptical of that claim. They just opened that shop about a year ago (it's literally a mile from my work), and there are several other Portland-based tuners with decades of excellent work in the Subaru community that I'd recommend first.

To the OP, what part of PDX are you in? Since you have a Cobb turboback, my first recommendation would be to just go see Cobb Surgeline, which is just off I-5 near the Bridgeport mall. Tim Bailey has been tuning Subarus for more than a decade, and he does most of the GTR R&D for Cobb HQ. They're all great guys and I've bought a lot of stuff there, but they only tune through the AccessPort, being a direct Cobb shop. Cobb Tuning Surgeline

If you're farther north, near the airport, I'd highly recommend PRE, which is a vendor on this site. They also have an excellent reputation, and can tune via OpenSource or AccessPort. I haven't been there as much since Surgeline is much closer to me, but the few times I have been there were great. Check out PRE on the vendor forums here, and you might be able to score a deal. Performance Race Car Parts & Services | Portland, OR - PRE Racing

Also, welcome! I'm down in Newberg.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    For the record, I've never heard of Horizontal Motorsports...they must not be very well-known outside of the immediate PDX area.

I second Rambos advice. Cobb Surgeline, PDX Tuning (if they're still around), or PRE would be my recommendation for shops in the area.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds like you should get a tune. Isn't P&L up around there too?
    My mistake...P&L is Chicago...it was PRE that I was thinking.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Great advice and I thank you all... PRE us just about a mile from where I work so I will stop by. Looking for a uppipe and daliy driver tune. I did talk to the HZ motor people and they were very helpful and appeard to be knowlegeble. Just getting started and there a LOTS of opinions out there. We are in Vancouver Wa

Just stopped by PRE... Bill will be 1K yikes to replace uppipe and tune... May need to rethink doing the uppipe myself or continue to shop around. They seem high to me... just saying.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon1959
    Just stopped by PRE... Bill will be 1K yikes to replace uppipe and tune... May need to rethink doing the uppipe myself or continue to shop around. They seem high to me... just saying.
    Uppipe: $200
    Labor: 2-3 hours @ $100/hr
    Tune: $400-500

Pretty standard price.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon1959 View Post
    As EJ said, that's pretty standard. Doing the uppipe myself with a floor jack and stands took all day, so it will take a few hours even for an experienced shop to do it. Dyno tunes will be in the $400+ range pretty much everywhere. If you want to pay less, consider an e-tune (Typically in the $150-200 range), but you'll need the ability to collect log files (so buy a Tactrix OP2.0 or Cobb Accessport). So even then, you'd be in the dyno-tune price range, considering up front equipment costs.

Cobb is offering a sale on tunes right now. $599 for an AP2.0, pre-dyno inspection, and dyno tune. That's the price of an Accessport with a $5 inspection and tune.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Damn that's a pretty darn good price for all that. Wish we had a Cobb around here.

I will start saving...