Alaska bound in december
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Alaska bound in december within the North Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys/gals, the army is moving me to Ft. Wainright alaska here in december, and I wanted to ask a ...

Alaska bound in december

Hey guys/gals, the army is moving me to Ft. Wainright alaska here in december, and I wanted to ask a few questions to anyone up in that area. I have an 04 wrx wagon and I am concerned about the amount of snow that happens on a regular basis up there, is it going to be too much for some winter tires on the AWD grocery getter to get around normally? Its only lowered maybe an inch by some kyb excel g shocks and some swift sport wagon springs. If the snow gets high enough i was debating looking into some forester struts to raise it up a bit to be able to clear more snow. Just looking for some insight please

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Almost 100 views and no replies... I see how the Subaru scene is gonna be in Fairbanks... Sweet

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I thought this was something different. The title caught my interest. Forester struts will definitely make your car more capable while off roading and snow driving. As for an Alaskan anecdote, i can't give you one. Have fun up there, Alaska is an awesome place.

I had a friend stationed in Alaska and he bought his wrx wagon there and he had no problems. It was on stock suspension though. His did come with the engine block warmer and all that fancy stuff though...oil warmer not sure...it had something on it that he could plug in over night so **** didn't freeze.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Ya, I just got in the block heater yesterday, gonna install that soon, also have a battery heater on the way, my main concern was height issues cause I know they don't salt the roads up there bc of the moose, it's gonna be a cool new experience up there but it's gonna be hard getting used to the cold at first I think

With a good set of winter tires, block heater, and battery heater you'll be just fine. I would also recommend getting a heater to slap on your oil pan. Fairbanks doesn't usually get a lot of snow at once and if it does it'll be really light fluffy stuff that you can just plow right through. They are also really good about getting the roads cleared quickly when it does snow. Long story short you'll be fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.