How to do a perfect launch for 1/4 mile!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to do a perfect launch for 1/4 mile!!! within the North Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey everyone! This summer would be my first time at the track and i need to know how to launch ...

How to do a perfect launch for 1/4 mile!!!

Hey everyone! This summer would be my first time at the track and i need to know how to launch my car. I never try it out yet but my launching is pretty good. What rpm should we be launching WRX at? Any perfect launching story that you want to tell? Please help me out thanks. I want to put down my best 1/4 mile time this summer.

2007 WRX Limited Crystal Gray Metallic.
    PROTUNED VF39 (285/300)
    Tuned by BOBBY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #112
    F T W

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

depends how long you want your tranny to last
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2
    '67 camaro (my dad's, but hopefully one day i can delete these parenthesis)

bugeye mafia #161

Just for track day only. I don't launch it on the street.

PROTUNED VF39 (285/300)
    Tuned by BOBBY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #112
    F T W

haha sorry didnt mean to come off a little blunt, im just bitter and paranoid about my glassbox, im the wrong person to answer your question, i dont have a clue wen it comes to launching AWD
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2

bugeye mafia #161

well, do you have a warranty on the car still? what you do is, launch that mother at 7000, dump the clutch about 6-7 times, and if anything breaks explain to the dealership you dont know wtf happend. new parts, u got good times, youre on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian STi View Post
    well, do you have a warranty on the car still? what you do is, launch that mother at 7000, dump the clutch about 6-7 times, and if anything breaks explain to the dealership you dont know wtf happend. new parts, u got good times, youre on your way.
    +1 sounds more like some great times to me
    '02 PSM WRX stg 2

bugeye mafia #161

Quote Originally Posted by Damian STi View Post

Anyways, there are plenty of different ways to do it. Some people swear by dumping the clutch hard at 5-6k, others say rev a couple of times, catch it on the third upswing around 4-5k, and let it slip while still letting it out as quickly as possible.

Either way, your clutch is going to cry. I tried the slip method a couple of times, but the burnt clutch smell was starting to scare me, and I try not to do it anymore These cars really take off though from a stop, the acceleration was crazy.

Really it comes down to whether you want the energy to be burnt up in your clutch or slammed into your drivetrain. I prefer clutch, cheaper than transmissions. Or not launching at all

Edit:
    Brock, with the WHP you are putting down, I have a feeling the slip method would be better for you. Dumping the clutch on a non-STi transmission with 285 whp...:
    Last edited by vecdran; 01-24-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Prodrive addict...

practice makes perfect

Quote Originally Posted by kallmebrock View Post
    Hey everyone! This summer would be my first time at the track and i need to know how to launch my car. I never try it out yet but my launching is pretty good. What rpm should we be launching WRX at? Any perfect launching story that you want to tell? Please help me out thanks. I want to put down my best 1/4 mile time this summer.
    i forgot to ask, why would you wait til this summer? now is the perfect time to do your 1/4 mile run. with the weather now you could get about an extra 1/2 a second even a whole second if possible on your times. i live in florida, with all this damn humidity and 97 degrees in summer, cars run horrible around summer time.

unlike florida, the weather isn't always so nice. Tracks are closed.

and unlike florida we dont have the humidty problems like you have down there. also we race the late night drags and during are racing time here we average rigth around the 70 degree mark and some times we get a nice cool night and are cars run great in it
    2002 WRX
    14.8 @ 91.1mph 1/4mile @ 189WHP (stock)
    Looking for another car soon

PROUD PRE CUSTOMER Different strokes (crew member)

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, ok

yep currently ~29 outside. Any sign of moisture on the tack = ice rink

Just to be safe, i'm not gonna dump it. I did catch it around 3.2rpm just to get my turbo kick in then let go of the clutch slowly (not dump). It seems to woik out good.

PROTUNED VF39 (285/300)
    Tuned by BOBBY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #112
    F T W

Ice+practice Launch=WTF

PROTUNED VF39 (285/300)
    Tuned by BOBBY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #112
    F T W

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.