New Subie coming soon! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New Subie coming soon! within the North Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; what's TMIC? edit: nm, found it =) also, the thing is all parts (except porterfield) are local companies. GP Moto, ...

what's TMIC?

edit: nm, found it =)

also, the thing is all parts (except porterfield) are local companies. GP Moto, SSI, and Unichip.It's nice that if i ever had problems, be easy to get a hold of someone

from gpmototech.com:

Silicon MAF Hose:
    Made of 4 ply silicon this pieces replaces the stock plastic tube and locates the your shortram pod closer to the fender well for more, cooler air, The MAF hose is also larger in diameter for better air flow.

Coilover Suspension: Now Available!
    04 STI - PN 11453
    05 STI - PN 11456

No serious suspension is complete without a quality set of coilovers and that is why GPMoto now offers it's new line of fully adjustable coilovers. These inverse coilover systems are 15-way adjustable for height, damping and rebound and spring pre-load and feature camber adjustable pillowball upper mounts.

http://www.gpmototech.com
    http://subysolutions.com
    http://www.unichip.us/
    Last edited by chowder; 02-10-2006 at 06:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Top Mount Intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by MDwrx
    Top Mount Intercooler
    hehe, i edited the post...i figured it out. thanks thoug!

I'm still concerned about the larger than standard maf housing, though it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

As for the unichip, like I said I know nothing about them. I barely ever hear about them which leads me to believe that there are much better options out there for the price.

Do you have a wideband in your car?

Quote Originally Posted by chowder
    what's TMIC?

edit: nm, found it =)

also, the thing is all parts (except porterfield) are local companies. GP Moto, SSI, and Unichip.It's nice that if i ever had problems, be easy to get a hold of someone

from gpmototech.com:

Silicon MAF Hose:
    Made of 4 ply silicon this pieces replaces the stock plastic tube and locates the your shortram pod closer to the fender well for more, cooler air, The MAF hose is also larger in diameter for better air flow.

Coilover Suspension: Now Available!
    04 STI - PN 11453
    05 STI - PN 11456

No serious suspension is complete without a quality set of coilovers and that is why GPMoto now offers it's new line of fully adjustable coilovers. These inverse coilover systems are 15-way adjustable for height, damping and rebound and spring pre-load and feature camber adjustable pillowball upper mounts.

http://www.gpmototech.com
    http://subysolutions.com
    http://www.unichip.us/

I agree with BrianH... that intake looks like trouble but it might just be because its BRIGHT YELLOW making it stand out more / look larger, every other mod looks fine though
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

tell me what your concern is, i thought a larger MAF with engine management is a good thing?...i'm concerned now.

it has been tuned, and the engine management has been mapped (i dunno if that's the correct term...).

If it's tuned correctly for it then it shouldn't be a problem. . . I don't even know if it's possible do it. . .

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=477393

Click it ^^^^

Is the stock WRX/STi system adequate? Yes. The majority of major Subaru tuners agree that the stock intake is adequate to power levels in the 400HP range. It also has the following advantages:
    1. The standard air scoop is mounted high in the engine bay. This makes it resistant to ingress of water. The design of the fender snorkel helps to remove any water that is drawn in by this scoop.
    2. Air drawn in is cool, since the air comes from the edge of the engine bay, and at speed, all air will be drawn from outside.
    3. The standard system is quiet since the resonator in the fender helps filter out noise from the air flow.
    4. The stock ECU is calibrated to work perfectly with the stock intake system.

Are there any downsides to aftermarket intakes? There are potential problems with some intake systems. Most manufacturers utilize less dense filtration media in their filters. This equates to increased pariculate matter injestion via the intake. This depends on the manufacturer's choice of filter media and is something to be taken into consideration. CAI can be suseptible to water injestion. This is because through their design the filter media is quite low in the fenderwell. Extreme caution should be used when driving through standing water or other areas where water is present. The major downside of intakes are problems with the air/fuel ratio.

Do intakes cause problems with the air/fuel ratio?Many seem to believe that since their XXX intake does not cause a CEL or exhibit any driveability problems, then their XXX intake must be good. Though the apparent increase in power gives them peace of mind, what they don't take into account is their intake is actually causing unseen harm to their engine. This is generally due to two reasons:
    1. The intake piping diameter is incorrect. This can cause a lean condition in the case of larger than stock diameter piping or a rich condition with decreased diameter piping.
    2. The air flow is not laminar. The stock piping, through it's apparent unusual design, is constructed to smooth out turbulent air flow. Aftermarket systems do not take this into consideration. When turbulence occurs, the MAF sensor will suddenly see more or less air then it had previously. This will cause the ECU to respond by making the engine run leaner or richer for as long as the error from turbulence occurs.

Can the intake problems be corrected through aftermarket engine management? Yes. There are a wide variety of engine management systems that have the capability of modifying the mass air flow values to correct intake piping that is non-OEM size. Some intakes have especially troublesome turbulence problems. Since this turbulence can occur at different points in the power band, based on both engine RPM and engine load, all that can be done to make the engine run safely is to recalibrate the engine with a relatively rich overall tune to compensate.

But who the hell uses Unichips anymore? Accessport or UTEC is much better imho.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

i appreciate the information, but i'm hesitant to change anything as it is all tuned for the parts on the car, and is running optimally (as far as i know). I need to get the front plate from the guy, so i'll ask him about the tuning for the larger diameter maf and check on the tmic.

thanks for helping a suby noobie

anything else you could tell me or help me out with would be greatly appreciated. but i still love the car, and think it looks great! (until i got pooped on by a bird today )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12