Ohio Roll Call - Page 132

This is a discussion on Ohio Roll Call within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally posted by fatgroundhog Anybody have the short version of a complete 2.5 engine swap? A short block only runs ...

Originally posted by fatgroundhog
    Anybody have the short version of a complete 2.5 engine swap? A short block only runs about $1k used, and I thought the heads from the WRX would fit. What else is involved, other than the ECU and turbo?
    you can do just the short block, and keep the wrx heads. they are very limiting for a lot of power, so people usually just do the long block since the engine is coming out anyway and it will save time/money, plus will give you more of what you want. the shortblock is a good deal, and if you're looing for 300-330whp on pump fuel with nice spool up, a sti shortblock is the way to go. on the flip side, going with a vf30/34 or something is a waste. either of those turbos aren't going to match well. with a turbo as small as the vf30/34. with either one of those, you're going to get spool incredibly early and have zero top end. it will be somewhat like the stock turbo. while that's not necesarily a bad thing, not worth the time money to go through putting in a shortblock for measly power goals. this is an an opinionative thing, some will disagree, and some will also agree.

the stock wrx ic actually can handle about 300whp without many problems, it flows very well in fact. to get those kind of results, you're going to need extensive dyno tuning and plan on many many hours for it. the wrx stock ic has a pressure drop problem at those levels, i.e. it heats up incredibly fast with that power, obviously, which is why people just go with a fmic to alievate that.

the stock wrx cr is 8.0, while that's ok, that's not the sweet spot for a turbo car. depending on want, need or whatever else, you'd want either an 8.5 cr, whcih most people shoot for, or some with a 9.0 cr. there are just practical limits to pump gas, and once you reach them, the only way to make more power is to have a higher cr, therfore needing less timing and less boost to achieve the same or higher results. race gas would be the other exception, as you can advance the timing a good 3 degrees across the board. getting a larger turbo, that flows more, is another way, but in the end you are either sacrificing spool (to get large power on pump, 5000+ spool), and who wants that with a redline of 7000. it's really an illusion, there is just so much you can do with pump fuel. sure, a green can make around 375whp on pump, but have you seen a dyno of it? it's horrid. this is why I went with an 1818, and nothin bigger. got the spool I wanted, with some top end. the 1818/1820 also respond better to pump fuel then the 18g does, although the 18g/20g series respond better with race fuel.

did I miss something?

hth.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good info E.

I think I need to either a)start working on handling since I don't even max my stage 2 or b) work on my other car. Anybody want to fab me a turbo kit for a V-8?

Hi, I live in Yorktown Colony Apts. Down by the Air Force museum if you know where that is. I hang out at NASIOC mostly but got invited over to this thread. Nice to meet you all!
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.
    Le Car

Originally posted by Lachlan
    Hi, I live in Yorktown Colony Apts. Down by the Air Force museum if you know where that is. I hang out at NASIOC mostly but got invited over to this thread. Nice to meet you all!
    We usually try and meet up 1 or 2 Saturday's a month. Welcome to the club.

Give us some info on your car.....and mods if you have any
    '02 PSM WRX
    18" P1's, TBE, and Cobb Stage 2

Ok well, I have a 2002 WRB WRX. I have:

Performance
    taco express catless turboback
    stage 2 unichip from days of yore
    removed resonator and velocity stack
    Samco intercooler hoses

Interior
    Speedhut Blue on black gauge face
    Blue stereo leds
    Proform shift light
    Momo shift knob
    ISSPRO gauges

Exterior
    De-ambered front end

This fall I hope to sell some books and parts and possibly my soul to put in a VF-22, big intercooler, UTEC, uppipe, and supporting whatnot. I'll let you know when I start if anybody wants to help!
    Le Car

Howdy. We love to help! Let us know...

Your turbo upgrade may motivate Integratowrx to do the same.

we do love to help, but you must pay back with free rides

most of the guys are at least cobb stage 2, theres an sti, and a pe1818 stage 4 and me (cobb stage 1)

speaking of meets, can we plan ahead to sept 18? i'll be coming home and it would be cool if we could get a lot of people out for a lunch/meet type thing.

so far, i've seen about 10 or so wrx's in dallas/fort worth. they've all been bugeye models, and no sti's. i did, however, see a stage 4. dunno what turbo though.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Most definately for Sept 18th. I want to plan a "Ride n Cruise" event where we BBQ as well as take a planned cruise around some back roads and all. I'm going to map out a route fairly soon so we'll all have maps printed for our cars and all. Should be a fun time. Who's got those 2-way CB radios that we can use in case folks get split up?

If anyone wants to help me plan out a route (ie: folks who really know some good backroads around here) PM me and we'll work together on something fun for Sept 18th.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Lachlan: good to meet you. Hopefully we can all catch up here in a few weeks!

Back from Canada. Cool place, but would not want to live there. Very nice though. No cool cars to speak of on the trip

Originally posted by subisnack

Back from Canada. Cool place, but would not want to live there. Very nice though. No cool cars to speak of on the trip
    You mean they have cars for their one road? (Southpark joke)

Also, there's a Clark County Car show/ swap meet next weekend. Probably all domestic muscle, but cool is cool, right? I'm looking at going late Saturday morning. Anyway interested in watching me waste money?

I think the 18th is free for me. Sounds fun!
    Le Car

sounds like a sweet plan tubby. now lets just hope the weather gods keep it nice for that day. we'll need a head count of who all can come so you can let us know how much the food will cost. i'm in

btw, canada is cool. they are really nice and drive cars with square tires. that is the epitamy (sp) of performance (yet another south park reference)
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

btw, canada is cool. they are really nice and drive cars with square tires. that is the epitamy (sp) of performance (yet another south park reference)
    Seriously, they are some of the nicest people. Never experienced such hospitality. We tried to find the Prime Minister, but like the s.p. kids, we wound up going the wrong way on the one road and ended up in Newfoundland or something like that. Mkay!

howdy all, have not been home in a month and hotel beds are getting comfortable. Got my subi down here and have seen only 3 in the past week...but a lot of dirty looks from the po po's. Put a IC sprayer on last week and going to do the grounding mod tomorrow. Glad I brought my car down and that I have a buddy with a garage and tools!!. Debadged it also...and get this...I'm thinking of ghosting SUBARU with the 5 star circle on the decklid where the badging was. With just clear mixed with a black or graphite flake. I've got the equipment and resources down here and figure I might as well take advantage of it. If I get it done I'll post some pics.
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

NEW COBB MAPPING FOR THE WRX OUT!

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...1;t=000819;p=1
    Last edited by tubbytreats; 09-07-2004 at 06:31 AM.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)