Ohio Roll Call - Page 131
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ohio Roll Call within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; UPPIPE: Please add the Crucial Racing uppipe to your listing. It's honestly getting the most amount of positive attention on ...

UPPIPE: Please add the Crucial Racing uppipe to your listing. It's honestly getting the most amount of positive attention on WRXFanatics.com It's brand new and has thermal coating and is of high quality 324 Stainless Steel construction. Check it out, it's the one I'd get now if I were in the market: http://www.crucialracing.com/products/uppipe.php

DOWNPIPE: I understand your worries about the midpipe cat being removed. I would go with a "short downpipe" then, either Stromung, ScoobySport, or one of the other vendors that make them. That way you can keep the midpipe cat for emissions days. (Then again, you could always get the replacement catless race pipe and only run the midpipe cat for e-check days)

HEADERS: Yes, if you get aftermarket headers, you have your choice of "equal length" (ie: no boxer rumble, loads of torque and good turbo spool) or "unequal length" (ie: great boxer rumble, better flow than the stock piping) Personally, you can easily run a STG4 WRX without headers, but with new headers you can unlock loads of free power. (Only about 10 WHP on a stock setup, but up to 30 WHP with a STG 4 FMIC setup)

Hope this helps

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

don't worry my friend, crucial racing is on the uppipe list along with turboxs and godspeed.

crucial racing - $250
    godspeed - $200
    txs - $???

i'm just debating about getting one now and then selling it when i get the headers or not. i'll probly get it now though cause it'll be a while before the turbo
    Last edited by bluerex47; 09-02-2004 at 02:04 PM.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

I'm still not sold on an up-pipe minus flex. I don't want to deal w/ leaks, and a lot of folks who complain about leaks blame it on not having a flex joint.

p.s. this is a good deal on the new V2 Invidia dp
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615786
    Last edited by integratowrx; 09-02-2004 at 02:34 PM.
    '02 PSM WRX
    18" P1's, TBE, and Cobb Stage 2

thx nick, consider it added.
    - chris

Originally posted by integratowrx
    I'm still not sold on an up-pipe minus flex. I don't want to deal w/ leaks, and a lot of folks who complain about leaks blame it on not having a flex joint.

p.s. this is a good deal on the new V2 Invidia dp
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615786
    i was just thinking, isn't the stock downpipe non flex? i don't know if it makes any kind of difference or not in performance. i just assumed it might have a better chance at falling apart, thats why the helix isn't on my list.

and the invidia dp, isn't it just a cheap knockoff of the helix? do i need to worry about cheap knockoffs in my later plans? (this is why cobb and godspeed are on my list)

P.S. check this out helix catted downpipe with vf34 passes smog check http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588607

just might pay the extra $$ and forget about switching race pipe to midpipe cat - $550 shipped for catted dp and up
    Last edited by bluerex47; 09-02-2004 at 05:36 PM.
    - chris

No the stock downpipe itself doesn't have a flex, but that is what the spring bolts are for between the 3rd cat and catback. That's the flex spot in the turboback exhaust. Dude, just get a bellmouth dowpipe of some sort that's 3". If you're stressed about e-check at some point, all you have to do is spend a few hours and swap the stocker back in.
    '02 PSM WRX

Originally posted by integratowrx
    No the stock downpipe itself doesn't have a flex, but that is what the spring bolts are for between the 3rd cat and catback. That's the flex spot in the turboback exhaust. Dude, just get a bellmouth dowpipe of some sort that's 3". If you're stressed about e-check at some point, all you have to do is spend a few hours and swap the stocker back in.
    oops my bad, i meant stock uppipe. i'm an idiot......i think i've got it figured out tho. thanks for all the help
    - chris

and yes the stock up-pipe has a flex.
    '02 PSM WRX

Anybody have the short version of a complete 2.5 engine swap? A short block only runs about $1k used, and I thought the heads from the WRX would fit. What else is involved, other than the ECU and turbo?

Don't you need a larger intercooler as well? I mean, sure there are guys running VF30/34's on the stock WRX intercooler, so the STI's VF39 shouldn't be a huge problem, but still you're gonna want to cool that air down in the intake manifold.

Injectors/fuel rails are different between the two, but I'm assuming you are including that stuff in the STI 2.5L block swap cost.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Originally posted by fatgroundhog
    Anybody have the short version of a complete 2.5 engine swap? A short block only runs about $1k used, and I thought the heads from the WRX would fit. What else is involved, other than the ECU and turbo?
    was reading up on this, people say the wrx stock heads fit, but get a little knock and higher compression (8.6:1 i think i saw). but if you want to push to 400 whp it sounds like you should just get the whole engine. i dunno, i'm still a n00b
    - chris

P.S. check this out helix catted downpipe with vf34 passes smog check http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588607
    Just wanted to point out here that that smog check was done in CA on 91 Octane fuel with the added Ethanol. Here in OH, we get the more powerful/more polluting 93 Octane fuel which won't net those results. Comparing my results to those posted on Nabisco, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

For Instance:
    The CA guy with the larger injectors, VF34, fuel pump, etc had 52PPM @2500RPM on the HC (hydrocarbons) test, I had 28.8PPM @ 2500RPM on my HC test. On the CO (carbon monoxide) test, I had .47% @ 2500RPM and he had .48% @ 2500RPM

I still think you'd pass OH emissions seeing how our limits are significantly higher in every single category. Who knows?

2002 WRX Mods:

in the end i think its not worth the hassle. i haven't heard of anyone getting pulled over and being checked for cats. i'm just going to go catless and put in the old downpipe when i have to do e-checks. (sorry if i wasted your time) but thanks so much for the advice
    - chris

Word.

BORED?
    On a side note, I've recently been working on a large project over at WRXFanatics.com I've uploaded about 4 GB of Top Gear videos into their Videos forum. There are some pretty awesome videos that I've found and I wanted to share them.

You can see them here:
    http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=19611

(You'll need to create an account if you don't already have one)

2002 WRX Mods:

More info on Compression Ratios from HowStuffWorks.com (very interesting)

Producing More Power
    Horsepower
    For a complete explanation of what horsepower is and what horsepower means, check out How Horsepower Works!

Using all of this information, you can begin to see that there are lots of different ways to make an engine perform better. Car manufacturers are constantly playing with all of the following variables to make an engine more powerful and/or more fuel efficient.

Increase displacement - More displacement means more power because you can burn more gas during each revolution of the engine. You can increase displacement by making the cylinders bigger or by adding more cylinders. Twelve cylinders seems to be the practical limit.

Increase the compression ratio - Higher compression ratios produce more power, up to a point. The more you compress the air/fuel mixture, however, the more likely it is to spontaneously burst into flame (before the spark plug ignites it). Higher-octane gasolines prevent this sort of early combustion. That is why high-performance cars generally need high-octane gasoline -- their engines are using higher compression ratios to get more power.

** TUBBY COMMENT ** - By compressing anything, whether gas or liquid, the temperatures rise astronomically, thus the chance for instant combustion without spark or what is termed "pre-combustion" or "detonation". High octane will retard this process as described by Subisnack.

Stuff more into each cylinder - If you can cram more air (and therefore fuel) into a cylinder of a given size, you can get more power from the cylinder (in the same way that you would by increasing the size of the cylinder). Turbochargers and superchargers pressurize the incoming air to effectively cram more air into a cylinder. See How Turbochargers Work for details.

Cool the incoming air - Compressing air raises its temperature. However, you would like to have the coolest air possible in the cylinder because the hotter the air is, the less it will expand when combustion takes place. Therefore, many turbocharged and supercharged cars have an intercooler. An intercooler is a special radiator through which the compressed air passes to cool it off before it enters the cylinder. See How Car Cooling Systems Work for details.

Let air come in more easily - As a piston moves down in the intake stroke, air resistance can rob power from the engine. Air resistance can be lessened dramatically by putting two intake valves in each cylinder. Some newer cars are also using polished intake manifolds to eliminate air resistance there. Bigger air filters can also improve air flow.

Let exhaust exit more easily - If air resistance makes it hard for exhaust to exit a cylinder, it robs the engine of power. Air resistance can be lessened by adding a second exhaust valve to each cylinder (a car with two intake and two exhaust valves has four valves per cylinder, which improves performance -- when you hear a car ad tell you the car has four cylinders and 16 valves, what the ad is saying is that the engine has four valves per cylinder). If the exhaust pipe is too small or the muffler has a lot of air resistance, this can cause back-pressure, which has the same effect. High-performance exhaust systems use headers, big tail pipes and free-flowing mufflers to eliminate back-pressure in the exhaust system. When you hear that a car has "dual exhaust," the goal is to improve the flow of exhaust by having two exhaust pipes instead of one.

Make everything lighter - Lightweight parts help the engine perform better. Each time a piston changes direction, it uses up energy to stop the travel in one direction and start it in another. The lighter the piston, the less energy it takes.

Inject the fuel - Fuel injection allows very precise metering of fuel to each cylinder. This improves performance and fuel economy. See How Fuel Injection Systems Work for details.

2002 WRX Mods:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.