Ohio Roll Call - Page 130

This is a discussion on Ohio Roll Call within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Snowvert has some good info as usual. However, he's still the only one I've every heard talk so badly about ...

Snowvert has some good info as usual. However, he's still the only one I've every heard talk so badly about the divorced wastegate downpipes. I've never seen anything to support this view, but have seen data that shows the benefits. I do know that if given the choice, most prefer the bellmouth, but they cost more.

Snowvert- can you educate me on the statement "boost plays a small role in timing on the wrx"? You've said that a few times and I don't get it. I thought boost netted higher CR. Higher CR requires either timing adjustments or higher octane. Thanks. when you wake up since you went to sleep at like 5am...
    Last edited by fatgroundhog; 09-02-2004 at 04:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by fatgroundhog
    Snowvert has some good info as usual. However, he's still the only one I've every heard talk so badly about the divorced wastegate downpipes. I've never seen anything to support this view, but have seen data that shows the benefits. I do know that if given the choice, most prefer the bellmouth, but they cost more.

Snowvert- can you educate me on the statement "boost plays a small role in timing on the wrx"? You've said that a few times and I don't get it. I thought boost netted higher CR. Higher CR requires either timing adjustments or higher octane. Thanks.
    I'm curious too...

Also, here is a decent link to reviews of parts. Some of you have probably already seen it.

review
    spcificly engine mods

thanks a lot for the help snowvert!! i would love to talk more about it in person. unfortunately, i will be out of the state from the 4th til the 17th. if say we could plan for a big meet on the 18th (maybe far enough in advance we can plan for it) that would be great. cause i know people don't feel like getting together on friday nights.

i figured you would mention godspeed, so i looked around and found their dp wasn't cheap. i would prefer cheaper, but if i'm going to be going with a large turbo in the future, i don't think i should buy cheap here. plus it gives me another reason to look at the cobb piece. and when you said no cel's, did you have a mil eliminator on that? also since you suggest headers, would it be smarter for me to hold off on an uppipe or just get one cheap? (already know what tubby thinks). just thinking, if i go to cobb stage 2 it might be better off to get rid of the up cat. but anywys, it will be a while before i really do this upgrade.

about CR (compression ratio ) i thought you wanted lower compression ratio on a turbo car to defeat detonation. i still have a lot of learning to do on this stuff...
    Last edited by bluerex47; 09-02-2004 at 06:15 AM.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Chris, you are right about CR being lower for a turbo. As I understand it, the boost raises the CR, so you have to start a little lower. No car with 8-8.5:1 could make 300hp without boost. I'm over my head beyond that.

My Cutlass runs around 10.25:1, while race cars can be in the 13:1 or even higher. Diesels are insane- up to like 25:1.

so then wouldn't he just be saying that when you get higher boost, you have to pull timing to keep the CR where it should be? just a stab in the dark here
    - chris

Just get the Helix dp Chris. It's a nicely priced high quality piece.
    Last edited by integratowrx; 09-02-2004 at 09:20 AM.
    '02 PSM WRX
    18" P1's, TBE, and Cobb Stage 2

Originally posted by bluerex47
    so then wouldn't he just be saying that when you get higher boost, you have to pull timing to keep the CR where it should be? just a stab in the dark here
    Pulling timing doesn't alter the CR, it just changes when the spark fires in the piston cycle. Old-school distributors had springs that altered the timing of the spark based on centrifigul force. Nowadays, we have computers and no distributors, but as a car accellerates, the best "time" for a spark changes. Also, when you change the pressure in the cylinders, the time of the spark needs to change too. Did I talk in circles? I think that makes sense.

Originally posted by integratowrx
    Just get the Helix dp Chris. It's a nicely priced high quality piece.
    well, its between these:

cobb catless - $425
    helix catless - $295 shipped subydude
    helix cat - $400 (i think)
    godspeed - $400

nothing personal, but godspeeds just looks like a 3 inch pipe without a bellmouth. please correct me if i'm wrong. it just boggles my mind why god didn't put a bellmouth on there like everyone else.

the only reason cobb is on there is because its the same price as god's pipe, and same reason for the helix catted.

(secretly i think i want a cat for smog/possible police sightings.) i don't think rollin in an 1818 wrx with a stock dp for smog is a smart idea...but if i never have to go in for smog, then i still have the police problem. i would LOVE to go catless all the way, but i'm not to sure about the possibility of a ticket. maybe just get the heat shields and weld them on?

as for uppipe. i'm still at a mix. i was looking and found i can get a gruppe-s header without the uppipe but i heard their header is junk.

oh well
    Last edited by bluerex47; 09-02-2004 at 12:02 PM.
    - chris

I think the godspeed does have a bellmouth, it's just hard to tell from the pics
    '02 PSM WRX

These aren't gonna work if you want to keep a cat. Even Godspeed agrees that a cat will only eat about 5-7 hp for most apps, until you get into really high HP. I'm not sure what that number is, or if you'll be there.

A lot of us have had good dealings with Daddy's, as well as the Stromung Divorced Wastegate DP. I'm still not convinced it wouldn't work for you. You could get a setup like Nick's with the cat-delete, or you could even have a muffler shop put a high-flow cat in the midpipe for you. Either way, you'll be under your $400 mark.

Or, find a good bellmouth dp used on the forums. You could save some money.

Now to keep from buying Godspeed's VF34 package. How about you guys chip in 40% and I'll pay 60%? I'll give free rides!

hey jason,

i'll pay 40% of your VF34 if you pay 40% of my PE1818 when that time comes. (could be a serious offer too)If you are seriously thinking of getting one, I would really appreciate a ride, as this turbo is close to the 1818 and half the price.

as for downpipes, i'm aware of daddy's cat eliminator, but i'm not too sure of how well it flows compared to a full length downpipe. i guess this might be a question for a tuner.

i wouldn't mind buying used, but thats a lot of $$ and trust in someone i've never met. maybe if snowvert gets a turbo upgrade then i could buy his?....hmm.......

after adding up the numbers though, i'm looking at over $3g's for the setup i want and thats without a fmic.
    - chris

as for downpipes, i'm aware of daddy's cat eliminator, but i'm not too sure of how well it flows compared to a full length downpipe. i guess this might be a question for a tuner.

i wouldn't mind buying used, but thats a lot of $$ and trust in someone i've never met. maybe if snowvert gets a turbo upgrade then i could buy his?....hmm.......

after adding up the numbers though, i'm looking at over $3g's for the setup i want and thats without a fmic.
    Good points. You'd think Eric would be willing to do that. Makes everything easier for everyone. Eric, what say ye?

Looks like I may get to play in the desert next summer, so maybe I should wait and use the money when I get back to buy....STi, LS1 anything....put a blower and 455 in the Cutlass.
    Last edited by fatgroundhog; 09-02-2004 at 12:39 PM.

Originally posted by fatgroundhog
    Good points. You'd think Eric would be willing to do that. Makes everything easier for everyone. Eric, what say ye?
    yeah, it would save me a few bucks...

btw stromung with mad dad cat eliminator is $390, putting it with all my other choices.
    - chris

btw stromung with mad dad cat eliminator is $390, putting it with all my other choices.
    sometimes he cuts a better deal when you buy both.
    '02 PSM WRX

Nick and I are both running that setup. I'm happy, and I think Nick is too. But not sure how it plays out for you long term plans. Looks like it's $358 for both from Daddy's.

Off to Canada for the weekend. Be back tuesday. Have a great weekend all!linky
    Last edited by subisnack; 09-02-2004 at 12:50 PM.