Ohio Roll Call - Page 129
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ohio Roll Call within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; oh. i agree, the smoke u guy was a little "undereducated" running 17 psi on stock turbo and such. but ...

oh. i agree, the smoke u guy was a little "undereducated" running 17 psi on stock turbo and such.

but shaved door handles on a wrx?! now this i HAVE to see.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by bluerex47
    oh. i agree, the smoke u guy was a little "undereducated" running 17 psi on stock turbo and such.

but shaved door handles on a wrx?! now this i HAVE to see.
    Here ya go: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621134

For me, I'm done with Boostd. You can tell he's not a "true subaru enthusiast" He talks like some of the folks on the honda and other similar "ricer sites" He's a badass streetracer fo' life yo! His posts are the equivalent of a 3rd grader's (or worse).
    '02 PSM WRX
    18" P1's, TBE, and Cobb Stage 2

Wow... Thats harsh yo
    But I blew the pipe off my IC street racing yo!

I like saying yo....

Did you guys see these pics of Jamie (BoostedSubaru) himself?

http://client.webshots.com/photo/159...59996348TVckZc

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

"rollin' in my five point O..."

aha i was gonna say something about him drivin around in his bondo colored door suby listenin to vanilla ice....now i'm sure of it, yo.

w3rd t0 yo motha
    - chris

Only 4 or 5 pics of his kids and none of the wife (That I saw). Impressive yo.
    I would understand on a car website. But on your quote unquote homepage? Dang yo. Oh well. To each his own I guess.

to eric or anyone in here:

my plans way down the road is to do a turbo upgrade. I would love to have spool but when i think of it more, its not that big of a deal. i would prefer 4k or less, and from what i've read and felt, the PE1818 would be pretty nice. (although i am still waiting to see godspeed's new spec series). i am going to get an up/dp very soon (hopefully by christmas) and i need to know if i need to buy special up/dp to fit to an 1818 or a spec series turbo? another question about large fmic came up also. i hear aps is the best to get. but the different sizes like dr500, dr650, etc. - do those make a difference in spool up time? i know the dr500 isn't made anymore so i would look for used if i would need it.

also, eric specifically, if you don't mind could you post up the $$ you spent for all the needed mods for your setup? how long has your setup run on the stock tranny? and now a stupid question...does the UTEC regulate and hold boost pressure or do you need some kind of boost controller?

i know i won't get the larger turbo until the car is out of warranty, but i feel that i should be buying the right parts now so i don't have to repurchase something when the time arrives for a larger turbo.

thx

btw, i'm looking to have ~300-320 whp and when/if the time comes, STI RA gears and a rebuilt engine

edit--one other thing, whats the difference between an 1818 and the 1818F?
    Last edited by bluerex47; 09-01-2004 at 09:34 AM.
    - chris

Sounds like you should just get a used STi....

but then again, that's my answer to everything. If you buy the parts now, I'll let you put them on my car until you are out of warranty.

Originally posted by fatgroundhog
    Sounds like you should just get a used STi....

but then again, that's my answer to everything. If you buy the parts now, I'll let you put them on my car until you are out of warranty.
    lol there will probably actually be another wrx in my future. one for stage 4 to have fun, and one that will probably max out at a stage 2, whether it be an old bugeye wrx or a used sti. but for now, insurance will be ungodly for an sti

and as for putting the parts on your car, i would so then i'd blow your engine and tranny

....but i don't have THAT much money sitting around.

just enough for up/dp and front/rear sway bars. i'm planning ahead...i'm an engineer and thats what engineers do lol
    - chris

Sounding kinda rich, my man. You're buying lunch Saturday.

Bluerex47,

As far as Uppipes go, I'd go with the new Crucial Racing Uppipe. It's thermal coated, and has a very small inner diameter (allowing more hot gas flow to the turbo) and will spool much better than even other aftermarket uppipes.

Although, if you plan on getting headers someday, the uppipe purchase might be a waste. MOST headers come with an uppipe replacement that is part of the header setup, so you might want to save your money there.

If I were you and I were building a nice WRX with an upgraded PE1818 or VF34, I'd go with the (long) downpipe (replacing the midpipe cat and downpipe cat). I'd wait on the uppipe unless I knew I wasn't going to do headers.

w00t!

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

thx tubby. so if i were to interpret your post, did you say i don't necessarily need headers with a turbo upgrade? i kinda like my boxer rumble how it is
    - chris

to eric or anyone in here:

my plans way down the road is to do a turbo upgrade. I would love to have spool but when i think of it more, its not that big of a deal. i would prefer 4k or less, and from what i've read and felt, the PE1818 would be pretty nice. (although i am still waiting to see godspeed's new spec series). i am going to get an up/dp very soon (hopefully by christmas) and i need to know if i need to buy special up/dp to fit to an 1818 or a spec series turbo? another question about large fmic came up also. i hear aps is the best to get. but the different sizes like dr500, dr650, etc. - do those make a difference in spool up time? i know the dr500 isn't made anymore so i would look for used if i would need it.

also, eric specifically, if you don't mind could you post up the $$ you spent for all the needed mods for your setup? how long has your setup run on the stock tranny? and now a stupid question...does the UTEC regulate and hold boost pressure or do you need some kind of boost controller?

i know i won't get the larger turbo until the car is out of warranty, but i feel that i should be buying the right parts now so i don't have to repurchase something when the time arrives for a larger turbo.

thx

btw, i'm looking to have ~300-320 whp and when/if the time comes, STI RA gears and a rebuilt engine

edit--one other thing, whats the difference between an 1818 and the 1818F?
    any up/dp combo you choose will be fine. do not get a divorced wastegate downpipe, it does nothing in the short of it, but can actually hurt you when you get to big power. I am partial to godspeed for things, so I would suggest his downpipe. lots have it, and it works. no cel's either.

aps is who I would go with. the new turbo xs fmic is crap, just look at the design. the old one was a lot better, and if you could find one, that would be a decent choice in my book. greddy and blitz are cheap, smaller cores and frankly not worth the time or money if you ask me. you have an 04, so you may want to look at perrin, but aps still holds the top spot. their products are top notch. yes, the dr500 is no longer made, although it's possible to find one around even new if you tried. I would skip that. it's tube/fin, and I don't see the point in spending all this money for a fmic and then sel yourself short on the design. bar and plate is a lot better. the dr650, with some pe650 injectors even at 0, they are a good combo, hence why I have it. the dr725 is the same design as the dr650, but has a larger presure drop. if you are running anything less then a fp green with race gas, I don't see the need. the dr650 is superior to the dr500 in every aspect, while the dr725 just a more cooling capacity and a larger presure drop. in short, the dr725 is pure overkill.

i'd be willing to discuss numbers with you in person, i'm not going to post them for a variety of reasons. the utec will hold boost fine, but I did go with a sbc-id because it does hold boost better to redline. also, since you can change the psi you're running from inside the car, rather then having to get out and pop the hood to change the abc for the utec. get the remote map switch for sure, it makes things easy and is a cheap add-on.

I made 301.xx whp on dan's dyno. since he has the dynapack 5000 with larger rear pods, the readings are a little low. I also didn't have him tune it to the edge. I do have a race map tuned at 354whp, so mabye one day I can show you that so it'd be plainly obvious that the 1818 is capable of a lot of power, just needs more timing, something race gas allows. boost plays a small role in relation to timing on a wrx.

i've had this setup since october last year and the tranny is fine. it's not as stiff a it once was, but in any car, over a year of having fun with it, it's going to weaken some. the sti ra gears are a peffect addition to any turbo 1818+. longer first, shorter 2nd, 3rd and 4th (which is a power gear with the ra gears) and the sti 5th. with that setup, you're going to be at around 4500rpms or mabye a little less at 80mph in 5th, so you may want to opt for the regular final drive ratio.

there are two 1818's. the 1818F and the 1818R. the current line up, which most people have are the F series, and this also applies to the 1820F and 1820R. the older R series had a different sweet spot, around 1.4bar. this was tough selling point for them, so they redesigned the turbo for a sweet spot requiring less boost to make the power people wanted.

hope this helps.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

thx tubby. so if i were to interpret your post, did you say i don't necessarily need headers with a turbo upgrade? i kinda like my boxer rumble how it is
    you will retain the boxer sound with headers so long as they are not equal length. an example of equal length headers are the maxim works. it gave me wood when I saw it. it's around $1800 though and clearly worth it if you have the money. the torque from the maxim wroks is amazing.

headers are a good idea on a high end turbo setup. anyone who screams boost onset is full of it. one pull through one gear after the car is warmed up will eliminate any boost onset.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.