Ohio Roll Call - Page 108

This is a discussion on Ohio Roll Call within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; We've stumbled into Business 101. Cobb has the demand they want, and for most of us, there is no substitute. ...

We've stumbled into Business 101. Cobb has the demand they want, and for most of us, there is no substitute. I don't want to tune myself. Yes, I agree they should hire some extra help, but then again, would it be worth it? Kinda like Ford discovering some of their cars exploded when rear-ended. It was cheaper to pay compensation to the victims' families than to correct it. Praise God, we are only seeing that Cobb thinks it cheaper to lose a few customers than to get their product out quickly.

Demand is higher than supply. Cobb has made the price very good, so that only increases demand. The normalization (for those of us who suffered through Economics) is from the wait. That will drive demand down some, but Cobb is still enjoying a demand rich environment. Cool, eh?

Now, let us pool our brain power and find something that is in demand and sell it, get rich, and retire early.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I agree with what you're saying Snowvert, although most of us are too poor to pay $150/hr for dyno tuning. I think the reason Cobb has focused on the VF30 and VF34 turbo's is they are both more conservative turbo's. You can produce a decent amount of power, and with their conservative tune, can hopefully still retain some reliability.

Fatgroundhog, your post kinda makes my head hurt.
    '02 PSM WRX
    18" P1's, TBE, and Cobb Stage 2

Everything I say makes heads hurt, mine included. If anyone can figure out what I said, explain it to me.

fatgroundhog, i think you just said to wait for cobb lol. if i were going with an upgraded turbo right away, i would get the utec. but since it will be a while for when i get my upgraded turbo, the accesstuner should be out and i'll get that. nothing against txs, i just like cobb
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Originally posted by integratowrx
    I agree with what you're saying Snowvert, although most of us are too poor to pay $150/hr for dyno tuning. I think the reason Cobb has focused on the VF30 and VF34 turbo's is they are both more conservative turbo's. You can produce a decent amount of power, and with their conservative tune, can hopefully still retain some reliability.
    I agree with the conservative turbo comment, but wonder why they aren't including the vf22. that's the cheapest turbo i've seen on the market lately.

I wouldn't call it you or soandso are too poor, I would call it you and anyone else just chooses to keep their car the way it is, at least for now. we've talked many times about this and from what I gather from you, you don't plan to upgrade the turbo at all. shibby has said the same thing, he's going with the reflash and he's done. I fully understand going with cobb in that case, as it's a reflash it and forget type of scenario.

I obviously don't have the cobb reflash, but their so-called conservative tune is right up there with the utec's base map's. I would think that the cobb maps are a little more aggressive actually, but cobb does have a history of being conservative. neither is bad, but they are leaving a lot on the table, which I personally wouldn't consider to be that harmful.

my setup is not tuned to the edge, so like I said I understand wanting to get more power and keep it in the safe area for what you've done, I just have to wonder how much hp/tq you could get out of something as simple as a basic stage2 reflash from cobb. with tuning, i'll bet a good 15/15 increase within safe levels. anyway, just bs'ing with all this of course. purely speculation on my part.

kilkare today? meet saturday?

damn my posts are rediculously long these days.

edit: I obviously need to take a ride in a stage1 and stage2 cobb reflash'ed car. I took a tide in justin's around the corner, and while it was fun, it didn't really let me get a feel for it. nick, you're stage2? could I get a ride one of these days to get a feel for it? gladly give you a ride in mine since you asked a while back and haven't had the chance to do it yet.

edit2: where the hell is dave? haven't seen him post or heard a word from him lately. also, midnightflat4 (who had the black 02 with the loud as sht muffler) I guess has the sti ra gears. would like for him to chime in here, etc.
    Last edited by Snowvert; 07-29-2004 at 03:41 AM.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

I just have to wonder how much hp/tq you could get out of something as simple as a basic stage2 reflash from cobb. with tuning, i'll bet a good 15/15 increase within safe levels.
    Stage 2 93OCT from Cobb is: 277HP 316 Torque. Thats a increase of +39HP and 68 lb/ft TQ.

I believe the WRX had similar increases if not better.

This is why everyone needs multiple cars. I have three, Kev has a whole car lot, Nick has two (like me, some of his run)...

I have ONE freaking car and I can't even get it waxed right or keep it clean! What a joy!

I'm down with going to the track tonight. I have PT from 5:00-6:00 but will be down there afterwards, YES I will be there this time. Should be a cooler night, great for tracking.

I think Snowvert's right. If you are going Stage4, you need some seriously customizable UTEC or EcuTEK tuning package, Cobb's stuff just won't cut it right now. In addition, we all know Cobb's not done the best job of quality control when releasing something new, so even when their StreetTUNER stuff comes out, it will take a while to get the "kinks" out. This means that the UTEC and EcuTEK will have the upper hand for a good while, especially with the new upgrades they have.

Hope to see some of you guys tonight, it's been a long while.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

Snowvert, I hear where you're coming from, and I agree with what you are saying about Cobb. At this point in time, I don't plan to get a new turbo because I still want to wait out the warranty a bit longer. I was also holding off because I considered upgrading to an STi or Legacy GT at some point. But lately I've been leaning towards keeping the wrx for a while, because I'm so happy with it. So I'd say it's only a matter of time until I end up with a new turbo. As I said before, I'm thinking of picking up EDM headlights to make myself hold off on the turbo a bit longer.

Who knows though, my opinions change everyday. I've seen Dave at the gym a few times this week and he's doing allright. I'd say it's only a matter of time before he gets a new turboback, especially since Kevin has taken the plunge. Eric, I'll give you a ride next time we meet up at the church or somethin. And of course I'm interested in a ride.

Not sure about KilKare yet, as I'm getting a little sick of going.

man that was a long post too. sorry
    '02 PSM WRX
    18" P1's, TBE, and Cobb Stage 2

Bored, and I've never used these guys before, so I thought I'd try. Quiet group today.

Yes, your posts are too long.

Yo, I'm back. I was blind for a little bit. i could bare read the comp screen. Dropped some serious dough on a car trailer + accessories for the race car so the sti is taking a back seat. Sorry. Doing another HPDE this weekend in virginia. Yah far again but remember the guy I share the car with is in DC. Anyone up for kilkare? Bored and haven't been in a while.

killpaulhogan do you have a digital camera? i'd love to see some pics of this spec miata those things are sweet
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

7pm now, and just getting home from doing a few things. I won't be able to make it up to kilkare tonight. not like anyone is going to see this till you all get home and it's over, but I would definalty like to meet up on saturday. 12pm or something good for people?

I have to watch this show, redline tv at 11:30am (yes courtney day is the host, but the show is also pretty good and interesting), so I could meet up at the church at 12pm, but if we're meeting somewhere further away, I wouldn't be able to make it till like 12:30pm. just a fyi.

definalty taking you up on the ride, nick. thanks.

have a good day ppl.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

man 24 hrs at home and back out again at least I'm taking the subi with me on the next two trips I never realized how much I missed my turbo until I heard it cry.
    from the outside looking in you don't understand from the inside looking out you can't explaine

Snowvert - I'll do a ride swap as well!! Don't ride with him, I can smoke the pants off Nick's WRX, he's got nothin! Then I'll get a ride in the STG4...

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)