To Tune or Not To Tune...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on To Tune or Not To Tune... within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Well, my factory warranty has expired (already) on my WRX and I am tossing around the idea of putting a ...

To Tune or Not To Tune...

Well, my factory warranty has expired (already) on my WRX and I am tossing around the idea of putting a tune on the car. I've done some (very little) research on tuning and it sounds like it will address some of the issues I have with the current power output on the car (mid-range acceleration leaves a lot to be desired). Anyhow, upon talking to a professional tuner, he was telling me that the current stock tune on WRXs is actually rough on the motor and is only set the way it is to meet EPA requirements. He went on to tell me that a tune would also help mpg, while seeing a significant increase in horsepower. Aside from any "Why would you need more power in this car?" types of posts, do any of you have information about tuning, either pro or con? Will it hurt the motor? Was the information he was providing me inaccurate? Have any of you had it done? I'm not wanting to tune the car to anything extreme, just want it to be more efficient and last longer. OK, the extra horsepower sounds nice too

Thanks in advance! Everyone on here always gives great feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A proper tune will not hurt the motor. Everything your tuner said is correct. However, I don't agree with him claiming the stock tune is rough on the motor. If it was, why would subaru have it flashed? There are some things to meet EPA requirements, but overall it's just a conservative tune. Otherwise, you will notice a big difference in the feel and delivery of power after a tune and your MPG should go up just a little.
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

Without question get it tuned!

As long as your tuner is reputable
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the Cobb access port and am using Cobb's 93 octane performance tune in my 2013 WRX. I am pleased with this stage 1 tune. The car runs more smoothly and pulls harder, most notably in 5th gear. I did have Cobb's air box in place, put I replaced it with the original air box. I didn't care much for the overly loud induction noise. Also, I get my car oil sprayed and didn't want to have to remove Cobb's intake twice a year. I didn't notice an increase in power using Cobb's air box. The rep at Cobb admitted to me that it is mainly a noise maker that didn't add much to the mix. The tune, however, is money well spent in my opinion.

As always, you guys are the best! For both the tune and the access port to be installed, I think it was just a bit over $1100. Does that sound to be in about the right ballpark?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.