Light Bar
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Light Bar within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Has anyone installed a light bar onto his/her WRX? I have a 2014 and was considering putting a LED light ...

Light Bar

Has anyone installed a light bar onto his/her WRX? I have a 2014 and was considering putting a LED light bar on the front like in the pictures below. I'm not talking about a metal pipe with those huge circular Hella lights. I am looking for some advice on which ones to use, sizes, and any install advice I can get. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_23218_62347c17236a60bfc5cf47f7053a5a50f8e8effb.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	242553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1391816990916.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	242561

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My first question, is what do you need one for?
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

They are actually illegal and for off road use only. I was going to do this as well, but i cant see spending $1,000+ on a light bar. If you do proceed with this, you'll need a cover on it. I was going to use the yellow lens cover. Pretty dope! It'll be all function in my opinion-- weather function in heavy snow/ rain use.
    "What is power without control?" - Keiichi Tsuchiya

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As for size, I believe a 20" is perfect for the bottom grille section. Good luck! Post pictures if you get this done!

Are they illegal in all states? I see them on trucks constantly. I would set it up so it would only come on when my brights were engaged, therefore I wouldn't be blasting oncoming traffic off the road with it.

Most likely in all states. Everything now a days about lighting is for "off-road" use. I'd further look into it if I were you, but that's me assuming. All aftermarket lights are dubbed for off road use, so no matter what if you tied them in with the brights, just having them on is what the problem is. If you still do it, I highly suggest you getting a cover for them. That's how it is here, in IL.

Laws like that are frustrating. People can have those damn blue lights that burn my retinas and countless different colored lights all over their cars, but something I'd only use to enhance my night vision when no one is around is illegal...

I Support ClubWRX
    They're not illegal to own. Just illegal to use on public roads. However, I'm sure if you use the LED bar like high beams and turn it off when someone is approaching, you'll be fine.
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB - Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    ...reminds me of buckteeth.

Quote Originally Posted by strudinox View Post
    They're not illegal to own. Just illegal to use on public roads. However, I'm sure if you use the LED bar like high beams and turn it off when someone is approaching, you'll be fine.
    That was my intention.

Just got off the phone with the officials, they ARE NOT illegal!

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, these are a waste of money unless you live in the middle of absolute nowhere and need them to see around corners and on mountainous or forest like roads with little to no visibility. The stock bright lights are way past bright enough to illuminate the whole road at night.
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Personally, these are a waste of money unless you live in the middle of absolute nowhere and need them to see around corners and on mountainous or forest like roads with little to no visibility. The stock bright lights are way past bright enough to illuminate the whole road at night.
    But rallykar bruh...!

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Haha, is the turbo on the WRX a waste of money too? Do any of us NEED to get from 0-60 in under 5 seconds when a stock Impreza will get us to the same place? Replacing the stock stereo and speakers was probably a waste of money too.

I appreciate the feedback, but the initial question wasn't "How would you like me to spend my money?" I was asking for any advice on installation and recommendations on brands, etc., not for anyone's approval. Sheesh, I feel like I did as a kid when my parents would blow me smoke about buying an iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    Just got off the phone with the officials, they ARE NOT illegal!
    They lied to you because they are not dot legal therefore they are illegal everywhere. The blinding blue lights are typically aftermarket hid kits that are also illegal. A good hid has a hard defined light cut off that prevents glare above oncoming traffic hood level.

If you do one be sure its aimed down, the led bars project forward very intensely and will blind the heck out of everyone. Rigid industries made a quality bar I would start there. Most bars should have an install kit that will have a lot of what you need to get installed. You can modify some of the brackets to mount it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    All? NO ALL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.