02 wrx 5 speed NO spark =( No sspark issue at end of thread
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 wrx 5 speed NO spark =( No sspark issue at end of thread within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; 2002 wrx 2.0 turbo 5 speed. Just rebuilt the engine and i am having issues getting it to rev past ...

02 wrx 5 speed NO spark =( No sspark issue at end of thread

2002 wrx 2.0 turbo 5 speed.

Just rebuilt the engine and i am having issues getting it to rev past 3k rpm.

Car will rev all the way to redline if i wanted on initial start. then it will die down to 3k rpm and wont rev past there. it idles fine at 800 and i can drive it but i have to shift at 2k rpm. while im driving in 4th and get up to 2krpm it cuts power intill i push in the clutch and let it out to continue under 2k rpm.
    cars is mostly stock besides a knock off bov to atmosphere and a 3inch exhaust all the way back. and a cone filter. Car is not throwing cel. it has b4 and it was neatrual switch changed that.

things ive tried
    different
    tps
    o2 sensor
    ecu
    fuel pump
    maf
    fuel filter
    cam sensor
    crank sensor

ive been researching this for quite some time and am very confused on what it could be.

things i may try soon
    map sensor?
    timing ?
    any ideas i would really appreciate. thankyou

Had car check by mechanic and he towed it back to my shop, with no spark ! pretty upset. drove the car like this for a couple months. Any ideas for no spark? Car has power to coils. no spark at all. Things i may try
    cam sensor
    Crank sensor
    Crank pulley teeth
    Is there a way to test the ECU, i dunno if he fried it somehow or disabled something in it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi again, thanks for starting your own thread.

I've been thinking more about this, and I'm confused by your last statement. The mechanic towed the car to your shop with no spark. Then you state you've been driving it "like this." Like what? There's no spark, right? Does the car turn over now?

I think my initial guesses aren't unreasonable. Check not just the crank sensor but the teeth that it's supposed to read; check that the pulley is indexed correctly (although I suspect there's a one-way slot on the shaft to only allow correct orientation but I have forgotten how mine looked), check that the sensors are actually connected tight, and figure out whether the coils themselves are getting power. If the coils aren't getting power see if the ECU is OK -- but then again you say you've swapped that already?

About the neutral switch CEL: Was the switch actually defective or was the harness clip to the gearbox loose? Did you reconnected the ground (earth) connection strap to the gearbox? Also the one to the motor?

If the car does have spark and I misunderstood your last paragraph, is the exhaust obstructed?

Recommend you get your hands on a factory service manual. They are available online etc. They explain how to test ECM input and output voltages.

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

I would start with the turbo engine PDF, and go to page EN(DOHC-TURBO)-69.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-11-2015 at 11:09 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thankyou kindly for the advice Sir.

I should have made 2 threads.
    Problem one: I wasn't able to rev above 3 grand. (so i drove it like that for awhile just around town.) On first intial start i could rev it up high like 4-5 times not letting it below 3 as the rpms came down and pepped it back up to 6 or so. Sound really healthy till it would drop rpm by itself(hence not letting go of gas pedal) down to 3 grand and kinda bounce right there off 3k rpm.
    Tried a bunch of things tps
    o2 sensor
    ecu
    fuel pump
    maf
    fuel filter
    cam sensor
    crank sensor
    Should i try map sensor? there only $399

So i had a Nissan mechanic look at it. And he replaced the bov to a stock one, and switched some fuel lines. He also stated that he scanned it, and found something about the injectors. (that something is unknown-great mechanic huh =/ He also mentioned he unplugged the throttle position cable to the TB. and there was no difference. which i thought was weird! Then he stated it would not run and said it had no spark. He has no idea why. and towed it back to me.

There is power to the coils, but no spark. Thinking the ecu is messed up. ( I don't believe their is a theft mode on this car) It has a new crank sensor in it. And would run with a bad cam sensor. Im just stumped on how many problems this subaru has that are unknown. Usually u get a CEL and go from there. but none here.
    I Checked the cat in the up pipe b4 installing. it was fine. Grounds seem to be good and are both they're. I sanded them all down and cleaned them before install. Car does turn over good. I wasnt able to swap ecu yet for the no spark problem =/ Ur help is truly appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK I think I understand a bit better.

My initial guesses are no worse now than they were last night... I'd get a scan tool and check the ECU for any codes saved. The injector issue may be a clue you're overlooking I suppose. If there are no codes, I'd reset the ECU by removing the neg battery connection, pressing the brake pedal for a minute or so, and waiting while I check every single harness clip to and from the ECU and engine.

Also, you mentioned a BOV. This means the car was modified. Please list all modifications. It could be something simpler than we think.

Is the MAF harness clip facing the nose of the car? Is the intake intact and authentic Subaru? Is the down pipe obstructed? Etc. Start simple though, see if there are codes and see what a reset plus a thorough electrical once-over does for you.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I will stick with this thread to the end, and will post my fix. (staying positive ) This raises a good question ive had, The maf plug is facing the firewall. When i looked at the maf i thought weird it didn't look right. Did some research and it looks like it should be facing the front of the car. Tried that way and my car would not even start. So i put it back facing the firewall.

Only mods are
    cone filter
    3inch exhaust from turbo
    Tgv plates deleted, but left everything else. (sensors and actuator rod)

I Support ClubWRX
    The MAF harness should face the nose of the car, not the firewall. I don't think the car is metering air correctly. that may explain hesitation at higher RPMs when you need actual, factual data for the ECU to run the car.

The TGV deletion should generate at least one CEL and should throw the car into limp mode.

In fact, with the MAF reversed as you had it, and the TGVs deleted, I see no reason the car should be running at all.

TGV Delete FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

The cone filter is not the only mod since it won't fit on the correct intake. This means the car has an incorrect intake. The exhaust itself, alone, would have been fine. However the intake and the TGVs are where you could focus your attention now. Again, I now don't understand how and why the car ran at all once the ECU had to switch loops, and the RPM limits you describe could certainly be from the TGVs I suppose.

See what happens when you fit a correct intake and correct filter, and have the MAF installed correctly so the engine can measure air as it expects. I still wonder about not getting a TGV CEL though.

EDIT: Unless you left the MOTORS in place along with the TGV rod thingies I suppose?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-12-2015 at 03:15 PM.

The motors and rods are in the intake itself still. just the flaps were deleted. the intake has a small maf aluminum pipe attached to the stock intake. And like i said it points to the firewall which looked weird in my eyes but the car wouldn't run with it the correct way. Its really weird ill have to trouble shoot that issue, that seems like it could be the problem. only reason it would rev up is probably because of a rich start up ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by saab_story View Post
    The motors and rods are in the intake itself still. just the flaps were deleted. the intake has a small maf aluminum pipe attached to the stock intake. And like i said it points to the firewall which looked weird in my eyes but the car wouldn't run with it the correct way. Its really weird ill have to trouble shoot that issue, that seems like it could be the problem. only reason it would rev up is probably because of a rich start up ?
    Given this my THEORY is that the car can idle and manage to run on stored tables for a bit, but once presented with a load and/or the need to gather actual data it receives nonsense. I've seen it before where a car that isn't getting actual air data from the MAF will run with the MAF disconnected at idle but once connected and once the engine sees a load, goodnight. For example:
    What I assume is "limp mode" issue

His problem may be different to yours, and I'm still wondering why you're not seeing a CEL anyway -- does your physical CEL lamp on the dash work? In any case:

The TGVs are no longer an issue in my mind as your solution should work and should not produce a CEL or throw the car into limping.

I now suspect the intake is an issue, but can't say if it's the only issue. Assuming (if, and ONLY if) the car is not tuned for the current intake (and I doubt it is from what you've said) then one course would be to beg, borrow, or steal a correct Subaru intake, complete with filter and housing, install it, install the MAF correctly, and see what happens.

Incidentally, when you rebuilt the motor:
    1. What had gone wrong initially?
    2. Did you use a 2,0L or a 2,5L short block, or did you simply re-use the block you had?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-12-2015 at 07:56 PM.

The cel does work.
    I have checked just about everything.
    my crank sensor is brand new.
    I wonder why ive got no spark
    Im on to testing the ecu. Ran a obd2 on it and nothing came up.

on rebuild/ it had jumped timming and blew a head. I used same block and different heads. 2.0 block

Ok ! Good news and bad lol. swaped in an 03 ecu in it along with a new battery presto. car seems to run great, getting on the hwy and idles fine. Thats the good news. bad news is the maf plug is still facing fire wall !!!!!

Car will not run with it the correct way ?

car only makes 7 psi =0.5 mpa
    No cel beside p0037

atleast im getting back to my thread for everyone
    Last edited by saab_story; 04-20-2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: grammer

anyone ? backwards maf ?

I Support ClubWRX
    There seems to be a fundamental problem with the air flow data the car is receiving. I don't know why though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.