Turbo "cool down" after driving?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo "cool down" after driving? within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I've been told that I should let my WRX run idle for some time after I pull it into the ...

Turbo "cool down" after driving?

I've been told that I should let my WRX run idle for some time after I pull it into the garage after a drive to let the oil run out of the turbocharger so it doesn't crystallize and tear up the turbo. Have you heard this? How long do I need to let it idle?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    I've been told that I should let my WRX run idle
    By whom?

for some time after I pull it into the garage after a drive to let the oil run out of the turbocharger so it doesn't crystallize and tear up the turbo. Have you heard this? How long do I need to let it idle?
    There are specific instructions in your owner's manual. Follow those to the letter. Also follow the maintenance schedule to the letter, preferring authentic parts. Keep all dated receipts while under warranty.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've just been told by other owners of WRXs and various turbo cars that it's a good idea.

I don't think that it's necessary for an idle cool down with the wrx: the turbo has a coolant reservoir over top of it which will help regulate the its temperature even after the car is turned off. I don't perform the cool down and my car has 117 kMiles and seems to be fine.
    David - '05 WRX

Thanks again, Obe!

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have heard that before from random techs at different shops.
    I have never done it on either of my WRXs. I let it warm up a couple minutes.
    But I have let it idle to cool down. There bad enough on gas already, I wouldn't waste anymore cooling it down.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

You shouldn't need to as it's water cooled. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to idle it but it's not necessary
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    You shouldn't need to as it's water cooled. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to idle it but it's not necessary

+1 i owned a GST eclipse for 2 years drove it through 2 brutal winters and now ive had my rex since may in total buyt 35 k on both vehicles never had a "idle cool down" its not a bad idea but not necessary from what i know. idk anyone with a turbo vehicle who does that. thats what the water cooled part should be doing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blobeye05 View Post
    +1 i owned a GST eclipse for 2 years drove it through 2 brutal winters and now ive had my rex since may in total buyt 35 k on both vehicles never had a "idle cool down" its not a bad idea but not necessary from what i know. idk anyone with a turbo vehicle who does that. thats what the water cooled part should be doing.
    Both the GST and most turbo Imprezas in the US use Mitsubishi turbos. These are now proven reliable and should not be considered a wear item -- a turbo failure isn't an expected event, nor should it be. I've never had a problem with a Mitsubishi turbo (entire Mitsubishi cars are another story, but even in that case as I suspect you may have experienced also the other parts may fail but the turbo just keeps working).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    I've just been told by other owners of WRXs and various turbo cars that it's a good idea.

Those people don't know what they're talking about.

I appreciate all of your feedback! Thank you. This is my first turbo and I want yo make it last. I figured this was the place to get answers.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What's a lot more important than cool down is warm up.. you shouldn't ever get into boost, or rev the engine over 4000rpm until the oil is fully up to operating temperature, roughly twice as long as it takes the coolant to get warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What's a lot more important than cool down is warm up.. you shouldn't ever get into boost, or rev the engine over 4000rpm until the oil is fully up to operating temperature, roughly twice as long as it takes the coolant to get warmed up.
    I stay below 4,000 the vast majority of my driving, so that won't be an issue. I'm excited for my first winter in my WRX.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    ^This

And I myself have never "cooled down" the car during *daily driving. It's unnecessary. And if it's bad for the turbo, then I have one in great condition with 250k+ on it to prove otherwise.

I'm glad I came here, you guys are all going to save me time and gas. Have any of you seen those timers they actually sell to cool down, or let the oil run out of the turbo after driving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast