Winter Tires?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires? within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hi everyone! I just got my WRX at the end of April and live in northeastern Indiana. What are your ...

Winter Tires?

Hi everyone!

I just got my WRX at the end of April and live in northeastern Indiana. What are your suggestions for winter tires? Should I go with a dedicated snow tire or should I get an all-season tire so I don't have to keep switching them out every Spring and Fall?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lot of good winter tires out there.

I would steer clear of No-season tires because they are pretty meh in all seasons. Indiana gets hit with some decently bad winters, so opt for a dedicated set.

A lot of people will drop the coin on a spare set of wheels to throw the winters on so they can just swap em out themselves. Totally worth it. Plus, the two sets of tires will make the winters and summers both last longer (with normal rotation intervals) so that you don't have to buy a new set of regular tires as quickly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Lot of good winter tires out there.

I would steer clear of No-season tires because they are pretty meh in all seasons. Indiana gets hit with some decently bad winters, so opt for a dedicated set.

A lot of people will drop the coin on a spare set of wheels to throw the winters on so they can just swap em out themselves. Totally worth it. Plus, the two sets of tires will make the winters and summers both last longer (with normal rotation intervals) so that you don't have to buy a new set of regular tires as quickly.
    This. I ran on my stock 17's 205-50-17
    I believe it was a 50 profile at least
    General altimax arctics. Absolutely no complaints, night and day difference
    Stinkeye member 520

Thanks a lot for the advice. If I were to get an extra set of rims, do you guys know what the measurements I need to look for are for the WRX? I know it's 17", but much past that I'm not sure. I've seen a few different sizes. Are there any you recommend, or good places to look for them?

What are your thoughts on Blizzak tires? It seems like a lot of people go for those.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    General altimax arctics. Absolutely no complaints, night and day difference
    I run these. They are amazing. 4k miles, little to no visible wear after one of the worst winters snow wise the northeast has ever seen, amazing grip, not expensive. I was recommended these by many experienced forum members and would do the same for anyone looking. You cannot go wrong with these tires.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

for WRX, you'd need 5x100 bolt pattern (assuming you aren't a 2015 owner). You can fit 16s as well which would make tires cheaper, and probably run better considering they'd be thinner (better in the snow).

Popular thing is to look for used WRX wheels from older generations.

Otherwise you'd want a +40 to +53 kind of range for the offset.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    for WRX, you'd need 5x100 bolt pattern (assuming you aren't a 2015 owner). You can fit 16s as well which would make tires cheaper, and probably run better considering they'd be thinner (better in the snow).

Popular thing is to look for used WRX wheels from older generations.

Otherwise you'd want a +40 to +53 kind of range for the offset.

I'm glad you brought up the older models. I was wondering if the older WRX model rims would work on my car? I have a 2014 hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    I'm glad you brought up the older models. I was wondering if the older WRX model rims would work on my car? I have a 2014 hatchback.
    Yep. Any WRX wheels (and Legacy wheels) would fit as you do indeed have the 5x100 bolt pattern. STI wheels will not fit. Common winter wheels are 02-05 WRX wheels as well as 00-2004 Legacy "Snowflake" wheels. Both are 16in, which means tires would be on the cheaper side. You can usually find a good used set without tires for as cheap as $100.

Yep, you can. I picked up a set of 02-04 wrx wheels and am in the process of prepping them for paint. My new snow tires arrived yesterday. General Altimax Arctic in 215/55 16.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't run full winters in IN (grew up in OH). You really only need them if you live in terrain and have significant snow. Winter "Performance" tires are the way to go for me, as the difference on most days, when there is little to no actual snow on the roads, is quite an improvement. I get as much snow as you, and live in real mountains with a steep driveway, and am still kicking myself for getting "snow tires" this time out.

I liked the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II quite a bit. Looking on tirerack (who has a "winter performance" category you can search) now though, with the rebate the 2 pound difference in weight I'd like the pricing on the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 quite a bit. I don't recall them being in the same ballpark when I got mine.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I wouldn't run full winters in IN (grew up in OH). You really only need them if you live in terrain and have significant snow. Winter "Performance" tires are the way to go for me, as the difference on most days, when there is little to no actual snow on the roads, is quite an improvement. I get as much snow as you, and live in real mountains with a steep driveway, and am still kicking myself for getting "snow tires" this time out.

I liked the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II quite a bit. Looking on tirerack (who has a "winter performance" category you can search) now though, with the rebate the 2 pound difference in weight I'd like the pricing on the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 quite a bit. I don't recall them being in the same ballpark when I got mine.
    I was actually just on tire rack today and saw this category and was going to ask about it. What's the difference between snow and winter performance I wonder? Last winter was the second worst winter on record here and we had over 70" of snow from December through April. Do you think the "winter performance" could handle that if we got it again?

Also, I see a lot of you are running sizes other than the 235/45/17 that comes on the WRX. What sizes can I run? Why would I want to change tire size from the size that comes on the car from the factory?

Thanks again everyone! I'm loving all the information you're sharing.

A narrower tire will dig through deep snow better.

If you get lots of snow a performance snow tire won't be as good as a ice/snow tire.
    I put General Altimax Arctic on my wife's FXT last season and they were pretty good overall. Great in snow and not too much flex or squirm on dry. They also seemed to wear quite well.

Lots of folks go with a 16" setup for winter. The tires are cheaper and you don't loose too much in handling. I went this route. And have some 215/55 generals here ready to be mounted after I finish painting my wheels.

I believe a 205/50 will work, but I'd check on the individual tire you are looking at the stock wheel might be a bit on the wide side for it.

Quote Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
    A narrower tire will dig through deep snow better.

If you get lots of snow a performance snow tire won't be as good as a ice/snow tire.
    I put General Altimax Arctic on my wife's FXT last season and they were pretty good overall. Great in snow and not too much flex or squirm on dry. They also seemed to wear quite well.

Lots of folks go with a 16" setup for winter. The tires are cheaper and you don't loose too much in handling. I went this route. And have some 215/55 generals here ready to be mounted after I finish painting my wheels.

I believe a 205/50 will work, but I'd check on the individual tire you are looking at the stock wheel might be a bit on the wide side for it.

I appreciate the information! So if I go with the Arctics and we have a winter that doesn't get any snow, or rarely snows (you really never know), they'll hold up all right?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually just on tire rack today and saw this category and was going to ask about it. What's the difference between snow and winter performance I wonder? Last winter was the second worst winter on record here and we had over 70" of snow from December through April. Do you think the "winter performance" could handle that if we got it again?

Also, I see a lot of you are running sizes other than the 235/45/17 that comes on the WRX. What sizes can I run? Why would I want to change tire size from the size that comes on the car from the factory?

Thanks again everyone! I'm loving all the information you're sharing.
    They aren't a huge compromise and will do fine in crappy conditions. At the end of the day, a real snow tire like they are talking about (and what I have now) will get you up or down a steeper hill than a winter performance tire and will be more comforting in a really bad storm. These will pull you through all kinds of **** though just fine though. Subarus drive like kittens in the snow anyway. They are quite a bit different on dry and wet roads though - night and day IMO. So it just depends which type of day you want to plan for. IMO winter performance are considerably the best option for a performance AWD car unless you live on steep stuff that also has deep snow regularly. If it is only one or the other...?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    They aren't a huge compromise and will do fine in crappy conditions. At the end of the day, a real snow tire like they are talking about (and what I have now) will get you up or down a steeper hill than a winter performance tire and will be more comforting in a really bad storm. These will pull you through all kinds of **** though just fine though. Subarus drive like kittens in the snow anyway. They are quite a bit different on dry and wet roads though - night and day IMO. So it just depends which type of day you want to plan for. IMO winter performance are considerably the best option for a performance AWD car unless you live on steep stuff that also has deep snow regularly. If it is only one or the other...?
    I live in northern Indiana, so steep hills aren't an issue. I'd say it's dry or wet roads here more than snowy in the winter. When we get snow, it tends to be significant though. Last year was a mess. I just want to know what tire and type of tire will cover my bases the best. Most of the time there is little to no snow, but I also don't want to be stuck or spinning when we get one of our usual four or five significant snows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.