Winter Tires? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Winter Tires? within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Let me ask this, how much snow (what depth) would you say winter performance tires can handle? How are they ...

Let me ask this, how much snow (what depth) would you say winter performance tires can handle? How are they on ice? Why do I need them instead of the cheaper dedicated winters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee
    Let me ask this, how much snow (what depth) would you say winter performance tires can handle? How are they on ice? Why do I need them instead of the cheaper dedicated winters?
    Rubber on ice sucks; if you want ice traction, you buy studded tires or get chains.

The reason you buy performance winters vs regular winters is traction.

Matthew
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Rubber on ice sucks; if you want ice traction, you buy studded tires or get chains.

The reason you buy performance winters vs regular winters is traction.

Matthew
    Alright, sorry if these are dumb questions but this is my first performance vehicle that can be used in the winter, but winter performance tires are better for snow than just plain snow tires?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No, that isn't what he is saying. It is the dry/wet traction you pay for, and particularly the non-squirmy handling as well. They will not have better traction than full winters in snow or ice. He is also challenging your idea that even those will get you anywhere. If you want to go up over Donner pass after a big dump it is going to be chains or studs or they won't let you even try. Trying to just put a number of inches on it is hard too. You have to consider how wet/slushy/sticky, is there ice under it, etc. Just snow and not too wet I'd say you could push through well over a foot depending on how low the car is with winter performance not studs or studable etc. and on the flat.

The tires are the most important thing on the whole car. Nothing you can do to the suspension will make as much difference as good vs. poor tires. I understand that people buy various cars for various vastly different reasons. If you never intend to take spirited drives when it is <40 degrees out you don't need winter performance tires. The part we get stuck on, is, why then did you want this car? I don't mean to sound derogatory - I mean there are other options that are more fun in the summer if that is the only time you really want to use it.

At the end of the day the Generals may suit you fine. I will say though that I face this decision financially as often or more than anyone here, but I will not buy tires that are not pretty near the top of the heap for what I really want to do to save money. It isn't a savings when you turn a car that you pay $500 a month for into one that drives like you pay $350. Just my .02 - you're going to have to take it from here and make a personal call.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I think I see what you are both saying. I'm not saying I don't get on the car from time to time, I just don't beat on it or race it constantly. I want it to last for a couple hundred thousand miles at least. I bought it to have something that is great in the snow, better on gas than my truck, and can really move when I want it to. Will we get a foot of snow here or have a foot of snow on the roads at any one time? Not likely. If we have a foot of snow on the roads they usually close them down.

I Support ClubWRX
    You don't have to tear it up to notice this difference. It makes the whole car feel more precise IMO. It makes not having summer tires on just barely not unbearable. I don't ever "race" for sure. I love going around corners though and I at least aspire for it to be a graceful but gripping event, like a nice carve on some good skis. I don't consider it aggressive at all it is just what my comfort level has built up to. That is what these are for during the time that summer compounds don't work IMO. I happen to live in a place that has literally no straight roads, and I consider myself blessed for that, but everywhere I have lived I have found places to be able to enjoy my cars like that.

But yeah, if anyone who isn't lifted can get to work or the store that day you can.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    You don't have to tear it up to notice this difference. It makes the whole car feel more precise IMO. It makes not having summer tires on just barely not unbearable. I don't ever "race" for sure. I love going around corners though and I at least aspire for it to be a graceful but gripping event, like a nice carve on some good skis. I don't consider it aggressive at all it is just what my comfort level has built up to. That is what these are for during the time that summer compounds don't work IMO. I happen to live in a place that has literally no straight roads, and I consider myself blessed for that, but everywhere I have lived I have found places to be able to enjoy my cars like that.

But yeah, if anyone who isn't lifted can get to work or the store that day you can.
    Excellent, that all makes sense. I'll look into some of the tires suggested above.

After writing that I don't race or really beat on it too much last night, I did end up getting on it pretty good this morning when some moron in a Chevy Avalanche tried to get me off the line and cut me off before the onramp onto the highway. That was over before it began. On the SAME drive in, I had some punk high school kid really try to take me with his Hyundai Velociter. It's fun being able to put people in their places, but most of the time I just let them go. No need to beat on my car to prove what I already know. 2 + 2 = 4, but I don't have to break out my calculator to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    My opinion on performance snows has always been the Dunlop WinterSport series.
    Any idea what the difference is between the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and the Winter Sport 4D?

I Support ClubWRX
    Cool, give it a try.

A while back you asked if it was only one WRX - yup. This was 3 years ago, but here it is without the snow on my summer BBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    Any idea what the difference is between the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and the Winter Sport 4D?
    I will find out this year; the wintersport 3d tires which came with my car (and are worn out) will be replaced by the wintersport 4d version (since it is newer and available).

Although the wintersport 3Ds were good, the dry and wet road traction was not quite as high as I would have liked (I slid going around roundabouts and once even when a stoplight suddenly changed). That being said, in spite of the large amount of snow in MI during the 2013/2014 winter I managed somehow not to crash during 300 mile/week commutes. There were some uncomfortable times (complete brake overtake by the ABS), but even in snow which could rub on the bottom of the car, I was able to keep moving. There was even one time on the freeway when I went across a strikingly smooth looking section of banked road in packed traffic without issue, only to see in my rear view mirror the car immediately behind me slide perfectly parallel, blocking both lanes of traffic due to the nearly invisible ice.
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Cool, give it a try.

A while back you asked if it was only one WRX - yup. This was 3 years ago, but here it is without the snow on my summer BBS.

I love the look of your car! Have you ever had any mechanical or other issues with it in all that time of owning it?

Obiesance, so would you recommend those Dunlops or would you say to go with the Pirellis or another brand? Also, do you fly RC planes? I did up until last year when my parents ended up destroying my runway. Couldn't fly much this year and sold a lot of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.