Winter Tires? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires? within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Mycologists, you have some beautiful property. Definitely makes me jealous! I need a better job haha...

Mycologists, you have some beautiful property. Definitely makes me jealous! I need a better job haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    I'm not trying to discount or play down your advice at all, I appreciate it greatly! I've just had bad luck with Goodyears, multiple sets, on two different vehicles. It's just personal preference.

Have you had the same WRX for all of those years or multiple cars?

So if I were to buy some used rims, what should I look for and watch out for?
    So you should discount my advice if it doesn't suit you - I'd prefer not to talk you into anything you end up regretting.

I have only bought one set of used wheels and I did end up having an odd issue with the lug holes being out of round on one that I had to replace. That was a specific deal with BBS wheels that were not the '04 STi ones needing different nuts but people using the ones that were on the car though. For stock take-offs, basically if they aren't rashed badly then they are likely sound. I also would get them without the tires as it is better on shipping etc. and I agree on that. Mostly just if they were rotated correctly though.

What year is it? I'm not sure if all 16" clear the brakes...
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know - these are cheaper than all the old stock wheels I see at $100 ea. and they look pretty darn good and light. They are the cheapest ones that are only 7" wide (the others are too wide for winters IMO). You can get your tires mounted by them free and they use the hunter machine to balance (sweet) and save time there too. That almost covers your shipping.
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Price
    Funny, this info wasn't from Tire Rack's site, and these are clearly listed as "manufactured in China"..., but here it is:
    "Sport Edition is one of Tire Rack's in-house brands, offering customized wheels by Japanese manufacturer Kosei. Its wheels are less expensive than most of its aftermarket counterparts, but offer improved quality and durability. Kosei uses a series of strict quality tests to make sure each Sport Edition wheel delivers reliable performance. Its wheels are produced using advanced low-pressure casting processes. The wheel's rim, disc, and spokes are tested separately for strength, air retention, and resistance to cracking and deformation"

Comes to a grand all said and done with the Pirellis. I'd consider that a bargain.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-02-2014 at 05:38 AM.

If I were to get rims I'd save up and get some nice ones. I don't want to go cheap on rims or tires, which is why I'm going to hold off on rims this year and get better tires.

Are the stock rims that bad in the snow that it's necessary to replace them with some older ones for winter driving?

I Support ClubWRX
    No, they are not. It is just once you put tires on them you have used up some of the savings for getting smaller wheels. Now that I think about it, if you're only saving $150 per set it takes 3 sets to make it up. That is well down the road.

I plan on driving this car until it won't run anymore, so I figured the stock rims will get me through this winter at least. That way I can get some nice winter tires to buy me some time (at least a year or two) to where I can save up for some nice winter rims. If we have a typical winter, I can probably get through most of it with the stock tires even. It's just those few times when we'll get pounded that I KNOW the stock tires won't get me through the snow.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, so I guess the thing I was thinking but didn't convey - if you don't think the stock wheels are ideal and you plan on replacing them, they are worth more now when they are newer in appearance. I was factoring that in, i.e. they are probably worth more than either of the wheels options I was suggesting. Winter is hard on wheels - a lot of people even just get steel wheels. So there is that, and that is also why the suggestions haven't been toward "nice" wheels.

I was kind of ruminating on this today driving home and I was thinking you know on a dry day, with winter performance tires, the difference between 215/17 over 205/16 would be appreciable and worth the difference in money to me. So maybe the stock size wheel with some nice winter performance tires would be the bee's knees.... I don't know I don't have 17" winter wheels to play with.

Ya, I love the stock wheels on it. I think other than the hood scoop they're probably my favorite feature. They just look mean. I'm looking more towards winter performance tires, just hope that if I go that way and we get another deep snow winter that they can keep me from getting stuck...

I Support ClubWRX

Those all look solid, with the Dunlops just slightly behind

The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 don't even come up on TireRack as options for my car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do they even make that size? What size are you looking at?

Tire rack is really frustrating for not doing reviews that are cross comparable, and then having tires that sound promising but aren't in your size. E.g. looking at the winter performance they give on set of measurements (0-60' foot time), then state that they don't quite come up to the studable or studless but give no numbers for a standard of comparison. Then they test those categories and give completely different metrics.

Personally, the user ratings have always served me very well. I think that within a category they do reflect actual differences in the tires. I don't think you can compare them as well across categories. but then they don't have those for the new ones

Here is how I end up at Pirelli again for your car. Take the size first - I'd go 215/50/17 for winter performance tires. Deselect everything but winters. Select all of the winters that have survey results and hit compare. The WS-70 is 26 freakin' pounds - Unacceptable so toss it. Tire weight matters to me a lot - it is further out rotationally than the wheel and has more effect therefore. Do we take a set of wheels that weighs 6 extra pound each - hell no. Now look at steering response, dry traction, and cornering stability. Only two choices left as the winter sport 3d and the sotozerro are in a class distinctly ahead of the rest. Now, the 3d are 23 pounds each, the sottozero are 20 pounds each. That is the selling point for me. The 3D might be a little better in the snow though - not worth it for 3#, not at all IMO. Now you have to consider the sottozero 3 that has no reviews. It is better than the II very very likely. It costs more. You nave no surveys to look at. The other brands new offerings might be on par. But, the series II is on closeout and it is a great light tire that is known. $50 rebate helps too. What I do is I take that price with shipping and I go to my tire guy, and he will match it at his shop for cash and give me a break on mounting for not going internet. Keeps the money local and he is a great guy with a bunch of people he supports by offering employment in the shop. I tuned a friend of a former employee's car for free years ago and I've had excellent rapport ever since.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know if your area is part of the "snow belt" or not, but if you're not looking at large ice/snow accumulations, you're asinine for not going with performance winters.

My opinion on performance snows has always been the Dunlop WinterSport series. I have no personal ownership experience with these tires, but I have ridden in vehicles with them on mild (little/no snow) and they are fantastic. Personally, I run studded Nokian tires (you can't buy better), but I also see >30' of snow per year, and deal with a lot of ice.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I don't know if your area is part of the "snow belt" or not, but if you're not looking at large ice/snow accumulations, you're asinine for not going with performance winters.

My opinion on performance snows has always been the Dunlop WinterSport series. I have no personal ownership experience with these tires, but I have ridden in vehicles with them on mild (little/no snow) and they are fantastic. Personally, I run studded Nokian tires (you can't buy better), but I also see >30' of snow per year, and deal with a lot of ice.
    My whole issue is most of the time we have three or four snowstorms a season, but last year it was constant deep snow. I just don't want to get the winter performance tires, have another winter like last year, and not be able to get through anything. If I'm not racing or driving aggressively, do I really need the performance tires in the winter?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee
    My whole issue is most of the time we have three or four snowstorms a season, but last year it was constant deep snow. I just don't want to get the winter performance tires, have another winter like last year, and not be able to get through anything. If I'm not racing or driving aggressively, do I really need the performance tires in the winter?
    It's highly unlikely you need anything more than performance winters...I see 4' accumulation in 24 hrs (two times last year).

Performance snows will be better than anything else with the exception of an ice storm or large snow accumulation.

I don't know IN enough to tell you what's best from personal experience, but my geography experience tells me you don't need dedicated winters.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast