Winter Tires? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires? within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Basically what they say at tire rack is that you would float more on wider tires. It makes more sense, ...

mrd
    Basically what they say at tire rack is that you would float more on wider tires.
    It makes more sense, as your car will have stiffer surface (as it compress snow) to move and therefore more friction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Except snow
    Think of skis or snowboard. You use the edges to carve through the snow. Same effect
    Makes perfect sense! Thank you.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The little wheels pay off because you save a lot per tire too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Yeah, even staying on 17s and going with the alternate size saved $50.

If you want to stick with stock size you'll prob want 205/50 17, but double-check that.

I've only used the Arctics for one season but they held up great, granted that was only about 6-7k miles on them. My wife did travel quite a few dry roads one way and heavy snow on the way back or vice versa. She said she always felt safe and didn't feel like she gave up too much on dry so I decided to give them a shot for my WRX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ya, I'd say the majority of the time the roads will probably be wet or dry, but when we get snow we tend to get it good. As long as the Generals are ok for those conditions, I'll go that route.

The size you suggested is the same alternate size on TireRack.

I Support ClubWRX
    Eh, it just isn't how I would do it. I wonder if anyone saying they have "great dry traction" has driven winter performance tires. I have the Goodyear Ultragrip - they rate only slightly lower than the Generals on dry traction & handling. Compared to the Pirelli's - they are night and day. Squirmy, vague, and hunting. Yes, they do stick fine though. Yes, there were two days last year I would not have made it all the way up my drive if I still had the Pirellis - totally worth parking at the bottom for the difference. Studable blocky tires that are perfect for storms are not going to be able to get there. These drive as well in the cold/dry or wet as ultra high performance all seasons do in the summer.

Those stock wheels are just too big IMO. Get down to 205/55/16 and you save a bunch on each tire from now on. The early WRX wheels are perfect. Light, strong, fantastic wheels that were just too small for summer rubber. Sell yours for a profit if you don't like them for summers.

FS: (For Sale) NY: Stock 02 WRX Gold Wheels/Tires - Winter Setup - NASIOC

FS: (For Sale) FS: NJ stock 04 wheels with winter sport tires - NASIOC

This guy nails it IMO. And, I did use up an old pair one summer just like him lol.

"Truly excellent all round winter tire. So good on bare roads I used a worn set for summer tires one summer, worn down to 5 mm (6/32) due to the really excellent P Zero based carcass. The flip side of this is the severe winter conditions challenge this tire. It is a very high performance winter tire, not an ice tire. I used these on my '09 Jaguar XF and then flipped them onto my new '13 ZF V6 SC AWD where they showed their stuff. If you have a fast awd car then these tires are the perfect winter tire for you, much better than any all season and as good as many true Q rated snow tires. I used the predecessor Sottozeros on my X Type, my '09 XF and my Audi S4, the Serie II is much improved over the original Sottozero."

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Eh, it just isn't how I would do it. I wonder if anyone saying they have "great dry traction" has driven winter performance tires. I have the Goodyear Ultragrip - they rate only slightly lower than the Generals on dry traction & handling. Compared to the Pirelli's - they are night and day. Squirmy, vague, and hunting. Yes, they do stick fine though. Yes, there were two days last year I would not have made it all the way up my drive if I still had the Pirellis - totally worth parking at the bottom for the difference. Studable blocky tires that are perfect for storms are not going to be able to get there. These drive as well in the cold/dry or wet as ultra high performance all seasons do in the summer.

Those stock wheels are just too big IMO. Get down to 205/55/16 and you save a bunch on each tire from now on. The early WRX wheels are perfect. Light, strong, fantastic wheels that were just too small for summer rubber. Sell yours for a profit if you don't like them for summers.

FS: (For Sale) NY: Stock 02 WRX Gold Wheels/Tires - Winter Setup - NASIOC

FS: (For Sale) FS: NJ stock 04 wheels with winter sport tires - NASIOC

This guy nails it IMO. And, I did use up an old pair one summer just like him lol.

"Truly excellent all round winter tire. So good on bare roads I used a worn set for summer tires one summer, worn down to 5 mm (6/32) due to the really excellent P Zero based carcass. The flip side of this is the severe winter conditions challenge this tire. It is a very high performance winter tire, not an ice tire. I used these on my '09 Jaguar XF and then flipped them onto my new '13 ZF V6 SC AWD where they showed their stuff. If you have a fast awd car then these tires are the perfect winter tire for you, much better than any all season and as good as many true Q rated snow tires. I used the predecessor Sottozeros on my X Type, my '09 XF and my Audi S4, the Serie II is much improved over the original Sottozero."
    Those gold ones are so ugly that they're awesome. As I said a few posts ago, the stock rims are going to have to be how I go for at least this winter. I'm not big on the idea of buying used rims off of someone because I don't like the idea of buying something that I can't tell if there's a small leak on them until it's too late and I REALLY don't like the idea of buying used tires off of someone, even a tire shop.

I'm staying away from Goodyear. I've tried them on both my truck and my Mustang (yes, I'm embarrassed to say I owned a Mustang) in the past and they were the worst, shortest-lived tires I've ever had.

The only thing about the winter performance tires that is getting me at this point is the massive price difference. I'm not going to be racing my WRX or even driving aggressively 99.99% of the time. I just want a tire that will hold up for a few winters and will get me through the snow and ice if/when we get it. I'd hate to get performance tires, then have a winter where we get pounded like we did last winter with 70" of snow and get stuck constantly.
    Last edited by Runnikee; 09-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Base coat applied to my winter wheels today. Got these for $135, plus some work. Got my 16" general altimax artics for $344. So much cheaper than 17" tires every 3-4 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Do 16s look goofy and small after running 17s?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    Those gold ones are so ugly that they're awesome. As I said a few posts ago, the stock rims are going to have to be how I go for at least this winter. I'm not big on the idea of buying used rims off of someone because I don't like the idea of buying something that I can't tell if there's a small leak on them until it's too late and I REALLY don't like the idea of buying used tires off of someone, even a tire shop.

I'm staying away from Goodyear. I've tried them on both my truck and my Mustang (yes, I'm embarrassed to say I owned a Mustang) in the past and they were the worst, shortest-lived tires I've ever had.

The only thing about the winter performance tires that is getting me at this point is the massive price difference. I'm not going to be racing my WRX or even driving aggressively 99.99% of the time. I just want a tire that will hold up for a few winters and will get me through the snow and ice if/when we get it. I'd hate to get performance tires, then have a winter where we get pounded like we did last winter with 70" of snow and get stuck constantly.
    Well it is of course up to you.

I will only comment that it is entirely silly to write off a tire manufacturer because you had an issue with one of their tires. All tire makers have models that differ very dramatically, and all have models that suck. I was not suggesting the Goodyear tires that I have for winters and I won't be replacing them. The Eagle F1 summers, however, I am on my second consecutive set and they are my favorites so far. I can't recommend them highly enough. That they are made in the USA happens to be a bonus. You have to understand that I have had a WRX for >10 years, and I go through a set of tires in 10-15K miles. Unless they wear out weirdly I won't rate them on that, that is just me living on mountain roads driving as the car was meant to be driven. I'm certainly not going to go for bargain tires if I can tell the difference in performance significantly. If I lived somewhere they lasted longer, and I knew I'd be stuck with them for years...?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    Do 16s look goofy and small after running 17s?
    They are the same size. They have more tire, and less wheel though. Looks cool with winters IMO.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-01-2014 at 07:13 PM.

mrd
    I ran 205/60x16 on my wrx 2011, and it looked just fine. Only problem that I had on snow was that my spoiler would plowed snow as it is a low car and I would have to go reverse some times. Just for short

I Support ClubWRX
    The Goodyears do really work though - just too squirmy for me when it isn't like this. I would not have driven the Outback my wife uses with all-seasons down it at all. It is kind of like a bobsled run with a steep bank and trees between you and the bottom if you go off. I don't bother shoveling much because there are a few hundred yards once you get down on the flat to do too. If we park at the bottom for a big snow I push it out with the Outback so I don't snorkel as much up with the lip (RCE Blacks...).

Last year

I'm not trying to discount or play down your advice at all, I appreciate it greatly! I've just had bad luck with Goodyears, multiple sets, on two different vehicles. It's just personal preference.

Have you had the same WRX for all of those years or multiple cars?

So if I were to buy some used rims, what should I look for and watch out for?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast