Winter Tires? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Winter Tires? within the North Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; If they will allow you on the roads in IN, you can get down them. The other guys will have ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If they will allow you on the roads in IN, you can get down them. The other guys will have more fun on those few days though. Hell I grew up in Cleveland with a RWD estate wagon and it would spin up some tires.... Ever since trying some, I've felt the WRX communities' adherence to full winters has something to do with the "rally heritage" thing or something.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    If they will allow you on the roads in IN, you can get down them. The other guys will have more fun on those few days though. Hell I grew up in Cleveland with a RWD estate wagon and it would spin up some tires.... Ever since trying some, I've felt the WRX communities' adherence to full winters has something to do with the "rally heritage" thing or something.
    Haha, could be! I'll look into the winter performance tires. That seem to be more expensive from what I've seen.

I've been driving a RWD Dodge Dakota for the past twelve years and have never been stuck in it. I've never had a 4WD so I'm looking forward to some bad weather haha!

mrd
    I'd say for wrx 16x7 wheels and Michelin pilot alpin pa3 205/60x16 would do the job. With this set of winter tires you will be able to hold on your performance but no snow or rain would slow you down. Keep in mind that you will use them at least 3 years and same time for summer tires. Its around 30k miles per set. I am able to use my winter set one more season, but summer tires had to go after 3 years and they will go on my BRZ this winter, but for STi I will have to buy new winter set tires and wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by mrd View Post
    I'd say for wrx 16x7 wheels and Michelin pilot alpin pa3 205/60x16 would do the job. With this set of winter tires you will be able to hold on your performance but no snow or rain would slow you down. Keep in mind that you will use them at least 3 years and same time for summer tires. Its around 30k miles per set. I am able to use my winter set one more season, but summer tires had to go after 3 years and they will go on my BRZ this winter, but for STi I will have to buy new winter set tires and wheels.
    I'm going to be using my stock 17" rims, so the 16x7 wheels aren't an option for me.

mrd
    Then go with Mich pilot alpine pa3 205/55x17 they will rise your car for 7mm, but this is not a big deal.
    You can say that I'm Michelin fan.

I've seen people talking about running different tire sizes and didn't know what the difference was, the advantage of different sizes, or what sizes I could run?

The thinner the tire the betyer it cuts into the snow. I used general altimax 205 on a 17. Cheap and amazing wet and dry traction. Absolutely amazing in blizzatds

205/55? What do the different numbers mean? Why did you choose that over the stock size?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Tire sizes are all messed up. The first is the width (205 mm) and the second is the profile as a proportion of that. So the second isn't an actual measurement or anything you can compare across.

Just look at the overall circumference for the particular tire and find the closest one.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

mrd
    205 width
    55% is geometrical hight of tire, so for 205mm height is 205mm*55%=112.75mm
    now geometrical radius is: (17"*25.4/2)mm+205mm*0.55=328.65mm
    stock tire radius is:321.65mm and then geometrical difference is 7mm.

There is a dynamical coefficient that is multiplied with geometrical height to determine real clearance of the vehicle. Therefore the difference in height is not 7mm but less.
    There are many web sites with tire dimension calculators.

Quote Originally Posted by mrd View Post
    205 width
    55% is geometrical hight of tire, so for 205mm height is 205mm*55%=112.75mm
    now geometrical radius is: (17"*25.4/2)mm+205mm*0.55=328.65mm
    stock tire radius is:321.65mm and then geometrical difference is 7mm.

There is a dynamical coefficient that is multiplied with geometrical height to determine real clearance of the vehicle. Therefore the difference in height is not 7mm but less.
    There are many web sites with tire dimension calculators.
    Haha, wow! I'll probably stay with stock size to avoid any possibilities of making a bad guess on what size I want.

mrd
    No guesses this is pure geometry.

I guess I'm just confused because I've always thought a wider tire (more surface area) would give you better grip in all conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
    I guess I'm just confused because I've always thought a wider tire (more surface area) would give you better grip in all conditions.
    Except snow
    Think of skis or snowboard. You use the edges to carve through the snow. Same effect

And I got my alternate size from tire rack when they had it

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast