Subaru WRX Forum banner

Official Information on the 2008 Impreza WRX

24K views 181 replies 62 participants last post by  20WRX04 
#1 ·
#78 ·
My predictions: The WRX sedan will be major hit. The hatch will grow after some initial slow sales. The STi: opinions witheld until super-secret-subaru actually releases information on it. I refuse to speculate based on myth and legend, and that my friends, is ALL we have on the STi to date. The only thing for sure is that it will be based on the hatch, the JDM models will still be 2.0 L. Subura hasn't even confirmed the 2.5 will be carried over for the 08. hmmmm...maybe I shouldn't have said that as the next rumour we will see will be the new 3.6 TT as the next STi engine.:bs:

#79 ·
confirmed a bunch of stuff on 2008 WRX's. SOA announced pre-ordering available. attached is the form with standard and optional stuff.

VDC is standard on all as is tilt/telescoping steering wheel, 60/40 split folding rear seats, 2.5L, side curtain air bags, ETC

couple new colors:

spark silver
dark grey metallic
lightning red

4 trim levels.

nav only available in a 5mt.

#86 ·
i think im going to puke if i look at road & track's pics of the 08 STI again..... i miss the 03-05 so much.... the 06-07 i liked tho it did take time to grow on me.... this new impreza, it just isnt subaru. imprezas thru the years always had a look all their own. the new imprezas make me think subaru is trying to follow the styles of other japanese companies. it is disappointing. i have been waiting since 2003 when i first saw an STI in person to buy one. i was planning on buying the 2008 STI when i graduated college. now i think im gonna buy an low mileage 07, or wait and hope the 09 is redesigned for the better

#87 ·
Well just looking at the speculative "photos" so far the STi looks interesting. I'm hoping they correct the pricing, as I'm not paying $35K, and I'm also hoping they stay at it regardless of hatch sales, as I'm not buying an 08 to beta test for them. With any luck 08 hatches will sell slow enough to put prospective 09 STi hatch buyers in a more acceptable situation. I might bite then but I don't want to get rid of my bugeye, and adding a hatch will put us at... five cars. We'll see.

#89 ·
I like the new WRX

I guess its no surprise I like the new WRX, I currently drive a hatchback, the main drawbacks to the WRX for me in the past have been:
1) can't get a 2 door
2) can't get a hatch
3) no 6 speed option (dont want to dump over 30g on an STi)
When i bought my 03 SVT Focus I looked at a base model Impreza because they were in similar price range, and I got way more for my money with the Focus, 6 speed trans, heated leather seats, awesome sound system, and the Focus was better in all categories: braking, accelerating, handling, comfort & economy; the only advantage the Subaru had was AWD, but that wasnt enough for me. Now I'm looking into new cars, and my orignal plan was to get a Mazda Speed 3, since the MS3 and SVTF are cousins, but after seeing the new Impreza I'm hooked; neither of them comes in a 2 door, but at least the Impreza will be AWD...still want a 6 speed though.....

#90 · (Edited)
I guess its no surprise I like the new WRX, I currently drive a hatchback, the main drawbacks to the WRX for me in the past have been:
1) can't get a 2 door
2) can't get a hatch
3) no 6 speed option (dont want to dump over 30g on an STi)
When i bought my 03 SVT Focus I looked at a base model Impreza because they were in similar price range, and I got way more for my money with the Focus, 6 speed trans, heated leather seats, awesome sound system, and the Focus was better in all categories: braking, accelerating, handling, comfort & economy; the only advantage the Subaru had was AWD, but that wasnt enough for me. Now I'm looking into new cars, and my orignal plan was to get a Mazda Speed 3, since the MS3 and SVTF are cousins, but after seeing the new Impreza I'm hooked; neither of them comes in a 2 door, but at least the Impreza will be AWD...still want a 6 speed though.....

svt has better braking,acceleration,handling? ive never heard of such a thing? please explain lol

#96 ·
I had no ownage intentions. I just felt it was worth saying something since the previous poster made fairly reasonable arguments in a detailed explanation of why the Focus was chosen over the previous Impreza. It's a personal choice. Crack coke is another personal choice IMO but not only is that another story, nobody in this thread has shown any sign I can see of using it.

#99 ·
Wonderously off topic...

Yea ford has this little thing called the Focus RS and a new driver named Marcus Grönholm. LOL.

#104 ·
The prices seem to be going up for the WRX which mean STi prices will probably rise :thumbdown .....I hope it doesn't turn into a supra.

#105 ·
The base models are cheaper than in 2007. The prices are right on target.

The WRX w/ Premium package in 2005 was $27,xxx. Now add to that Sat and Navi and its $29,xxx. Seems about right to me.

#112 ·
i can see one from my window as well (my office is actually across the street at our Pontiac/Jeep store. :)

We have 5 or 6 on order. 3 or 4 of them are due that same week. others are just saying end of august and dont have dates on them yet in the pipeline.

#116 ·
New Imprezas and WRXs are at the Oregon City dealership right now. I stopped by to pick up some parts for the Forester and noticed them as I was leaving. Very nice.

#117 ·
I drove a 2008 WRX last Friday at a dealer. I thought it was pretty good. The looks are not super and I would probably made changes if I were the designer but I think it will grow on me. It tracks really well - better than my 2003 WRX when it was bone stock and even with the really horrid 92"s (Boy talk about someone who should be fired - who keeps thinking the 92's are great tires). At any rate when the people at Cobb, TurboXS, Vishnu,etc get their go fast bits out I think it will still be a very nice car. My $0.02. JacksonWRX

#118 ·
I've read this entire thread and not one of you addressed the upcoming Evo. I've never been a Mitsubishi fan but it seems they've made changes accordingly. I would imagine this should put tremendous pressure on the upcoming STi. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I also had the opportunity to take a look at the 08' WRX. Sadly, it disappointed me even more so than the pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.