Subaru WRX Forum banner

Official Information on the 2008 Impreza WRX

24K views 181 replies 62 participants last post by  20WRX04 
#1 ·
#38 ·
224hp

226 ft lbs @ 2800rpm (was 3600 rpm for 2007)

10% better fuel economy

STI steering ratio (15.0:1) (was 16.5:1)

3.7 in longer wheelbase and no front subframe (allows engine to be mounted 10mm lower)

unequal length rear control arms replae multilink

3150-3200 lbs

6 air bags

dual exhaust on sedan version only.

#45 · (Edited)
Is it me or does the front look similar to a toyota or something?
You are far, far, far from alone. Although some would say the attractions are within.

They should have stuck with the look of the 07. :confused1
Uh Uh. Subaru is in the business of selling cars to the whims of a world market for goodness sake.

#47 ·
ugh

i love the subaru impreza wrx/sti. It is probably one of my favorite cars, i was planning on buying one in about 3 years or something. BUT. the 2008 impreza wrx is such a dissapointment. It looks like a mazda 3 hatchback with a hood scoop. They must have been on crack while designing this car. They should have just stuck with the 06-07 look. No:whoa: t some ugly ass hatchback.

#51 ·
to reiterate...the 2008 WRX is beautiful and I cant wait to own an STi in March 08!

#52 ·
I completely agree...the new 08 is...I cant even think of a word...i wish i could slap the crap outa the people who thought of it! UH!!! Hope they decide to change them back to beauty when they realize how many people stop buyin the ugly beasts...

At least they are still Subaru on the inside lol :p

#53 ·
Hope they decide to change them back to beauty when they realize how many people stop buyin the ugly beasts...
I highly doubt that this will be the case. The whole point appears to be to make the car more "mainstream" looking and attract a broader demographic.

#55 ·
I think the design towards something more mainstream has been affected by the fact that the Tribeca didn't do so well with it's more or less "unique" design. Personally I like the Tribeca B9's grill and headlights, it's the way the trunk slanted back out was a major turnoff. When it was first released I couldn't really tell if it was a minivan or an SUV. Anyways... I'm sure Subaru did enough research to justify their styling for the 08 WRXs.

After seeing more videos of the 08 WRXs I started to get a feeling that the car will grow on a lot of us. I guess we'll all have to get a test drive before jumping into conclusion.

#56 ·
After seeing more videos of the 08 WRXs I started to get a feeling that the car will grow on a lot of us. I guess we'll all have to get a test drive before jumping into conclusion.
I was initially lukewarm towards it, but I like the car more each time I see it.
It was the same OMGENDOFTHEWORLD! reaction in 2001, when the '02 models were announced. This too will pass, and we will welcome a new generation of WRX owner to the site.

#64 · (Edited)
looks like they got rid of the nice red brakes and put back the ****ty gray ones. imo this is not a wrx. its a completely new car with a hood scoop and impreza badge on the back. **** you Subaru i hate you now. ill never buy your stupid car.

edited to remove potty words -- Rayolita

#67 ·
I actually love the butt on the new WRX...it has a shape and looks all shiny and futurey...I could do without the chrome thing on the back though.

The front it ok but, for some weird reason, every time I see the grill...I find the front end looking like a pt cruiser...makes me cry. And even though the scoop is now all aerodymagical...I still like my scoop better.

My initial reaction was something like "WTF IS THIS PIECE OF **** DOING IN THE ****** *** ***** ******* ****************************"

That sounds about right...but it isn't bad enough for me to hate it just yet. It all depends on what the 2010 models end up looking like whether or not I will go with the 09 or 2010 STI...or maybe the evo if I am sick of manual in 2 years. (I always liked paddle shifters.)

#68 ·
Sti hatch

I just went to my local dealer today, and he told me that the 08 STi will only come in a hatch version, so I was like WTF!:eek: I don't know if someone put a pic of it on here already but here it is.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2270

The 2008 STi Japanese version will come in both hatch and sedan.

I think I might sell my 02 bugeye and buy a 2007 STi in a few months. Something tells me that trying to get a used version of these in the next few years will be hard to do, b/c people will be hanging on to them b/c all they can get is a hatch STi.

#70 ·
#69 ·
i am in on the hatch. I was initially going to get a wrx wagon, but will wait for the hatch STI.

I can use the extra space for stuff, especially now that there is a little one in the house and getting the driving experience of an STI with a more Family friendly space is very appealing to me.

i am sure a lot of people will not like the new style, but since when has subaru been all about looks? it is about the driving experience.

most people hated the 2006 + style, but it has grown on most, including me. i think that the new style will grow on people as well once they have been driven, modified, and the experience of how the new models drive is shared.

#72 · (Edited)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=5211

More pics. Not sure if these were posted here yet.

Dare I say the STI looks BETTER than the EVO in that pic?:eek: The EVO X has always looked great to me, very aggressive. Next to the STI in that pic. the EVO looks almost silly, like it is over done.

Looks like a five door version of the first gen. focas SVT, which looks great imo. This picture is why I LOVE hatchbacks.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

#73 ·
Very nice. I havent seen that one yet....... the more suttle spoiler is cool..... although I'm not sure if I like it more than the larger one in previous pics.
hmmmmm........they both make a big difference in accomplishing a more agressive look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.