Official Information on the 2008 Impreza WRX - Page 10
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on Official Information on the 2008 Impreza WRX within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sinister It's still ugly At least your being honest. I think a lot of you need to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

It's still ugly
    At least your being honest. I think a lot of you need to stop convincing yourself to like it just because it's the next generation Impreza.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's ugly and I don't like it.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

If he's not even a car guy, and he realizes how ugly it is... then I can see why us car guys on the forum are btching and moaning.

That's what is funny. Half of the time he was arguing that it wasn't ugly enough! And then he complains that it doesn't look like a "true sports car"! Besides, I thought the type of car guys that bought funky little sedans prioritize performance over appearance. I sure as hell didn't trade in my blue '99rs coupe in on a wagon for looks. I did it for performance and utility.

I'm not trying to convince you that you should like it. It is a subjective opinion so by definition it is your own. I'm just pointing out that the new car is not a huge change in direction from the old ones. It is a hopped up economy car that performs great for what it is, so what is there to complain about? That it doesn't look like an M3?

That drama queen is all bent out of shape, yet I can't remember one valid point that this joker made in the entire article. The wheels don't have enough "character" for him. Well, the ones that came on my funky '02 weren't exactly Advan knock-offs.

He is reacting like I would if they made the car FWD and NA. Performance is the heart of this car, not looks. He is a loser trying to fill two pages when he has nothing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a huge fan of this guy or his writing style, frankly.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    Oh... my... god.

That guy whines more than my two kids combined. The exhaust isn't prominent enough? Is he kidding? Maybe he'll like the fake dual exhaust on the sedan. Poser.

Nothing like reading an entire article of merciless *****ing. Nice writing skills. He even whines when he complements something. That makes for a great article. What a baby.

He contradicts himself so many times it made my head spin. He only likes funky cars, but he hates all of the awkward styling cues on the car? The new car is too homogenized but lacks the style of the other cars in the market? He does this over and over. Stretching for things to piss about are we?

How many of you said "Oh no, the finger indents are touching the horizontal body line!" when you saw the pictures? Who even talks like that? This guy is more like a cross between a high fashion clothes designer and Simon Cowell than a car guy. I wonder if he even drove the car. "This third side glass destroys any hope of haveing the body percieved as that of a true performance car." Um, it's not. It is a fun, cheap, economy hatch, not a Corvette. He admits that the new car is "superior in performance and comfort" but isn't funky enough for him. Nice priorities. He should check out the convertable VW new beetle, it's cute. This is not a car for fashion queens who are only interested in style. Never has been.

Sure, the car is boring. So what? Like the lauded GC Imprezas that the original STis were based on were so exiting and stylish? Bish please. The blobeyes were made to mellow the car out after everyone cried about how funny the '02s looked. And then everyone freaked when the Vageye's (I also like to call them pigsnouts) came out for being too wierd looking. It's the end of the world every time.

I've seen the '08s in person and they look good. I like the hatch shape. The back seat looked roomy. I didn't find my self asking if the grill was sagging or any of that bull crap. Like any stock car, they will look even better w/ aftermarket performance wheels, a small drop and some tint. Not to mention that the speculative pics we've seen of the new STI (like the one on the cover of R&T a couple of months ago) look down right sexy in my opinion.

This clown is blatantly just trying to make waves by writing a scathing article about the new body style of a legendary car. Pathetic. The end.
    Cumberford was a car designer and his job at Automobile magazine is to critique car designs, not the way the car performs,or how well it mods etc. they have other people that write those articles. It's strictly an article on the way the car looks which is why everything about it's looks is broken down and nit-picked. You can't expect them to write an article on car design and just say well the car looks ok the end. Sure 90% of people won't even notice that the finger indents obstruct the feature line, but those kind of things are though about by the designers and it makes sense that it would be noticed in a design article.

I've never understood why it is that people always feel that you either care solely about the performance of a car or your a sissy/not a car guy.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 09-02-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    I've never understood why it is that people always feel that you either care solely about the performance of a car or your a sissy/not a car guy.
    Sooooo... You saying that you're a sissy car guy?... ...J/K
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STiDood View Post
    At least your being honest. I think a lot of you need to stop convincing yourself to like it just because it's the next generation Impreza.
    I think a lot of the fanboi-come-latelies need to stop hating the new imprezas just because it doesn't look like the impreza they came to know playing GranTurismo video games when they were kids.... 5 years ago.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Cumberford was a car designer and his job at Automobile magazine is to critique car designs, not the way the car performs,or how well it mods etc.
    Great. Is it too much to expect him to make sense or not contradict himself a dozen or so times? Or relate something that readers and consumers actually give a crap about? "curved line sweeping above the passengers knees is nice"? Yeah, I was just thinking that. What?

He even whines about features that are carried over from the previous incredibly stylish models like the clock hole. The steering wheel isn't performance enough. Since when has the WRX interior screamed performance?

I've never understood why it is that people always feel that you either car solely about the performance of a car or your a sissy/not a car guy.
    I appreciate the appearance of cars. There are many beautiful cars and many car guys that collect them and build show cars, build hot rods, and restore classics, but you have to consider the type of car we are talking about. An econo-box that was up-engineered to qualify for and compete in WRC, not an Austin Martin.
    200,000 mile club.

Quote Originally Posted by STiDood View Post
    I do like it because it is the next generation WRX. Honestly, it has all of the same elements that make me love my car, and then some. I don't consider the car to be ruined because some hack doesn't like the front spoiler treatment.

By the way. I like the exhaust and the rear diffuser. The back end looks nice overall. Sure the taillights could be better (or swapped out?). But I don't know if I consider them any worse than the vageye taillights.
    200,000 mile club.

I appreciate the appearance of cars. There are many beautiful cars and many car guys that collect them and build show cars, build hot rods, and restore classics, but you have to consider the type of car we are talking about. An econo-box that was up-engineered to qualify for and compete in WRC, not an Austin Martin.
    There a plenty of cheap cars that look decent or make an effort to look nice. Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it needs to look crappy. I realize that'll never trump a Ferrari in the looks department but that doesn't meant its all or nothing.

Personally I enjoy the design section that Automobile and it's part of the reason why I subscribe to the magazine. I Get sick of reading about cargo capacity and 0-60 time over and over and I like the fact that they print and article that actually breaks down the design and critiques it rather than just saying "the interior is plasticy or it looks dull". While I don't always agree with it, it does make me notice things that I might have missed on my own. Just because you may not car about the finger indents or sweeping lines in the interior doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

At this point I've drifted far off topic so I'll leave it at that and we'll agree to disagree.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 09-02-2007 at 01:11 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

There a plenty of cheap cars that look decent or make an effort to look nice. Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it needs to look crappy. I realize that'll never trump a Ferrari in the looks department but that doesn't meant its all or nothing. At this point I've drifted off topic so I'll leave it at that and we'll agree to disagree.
    So does the '08 look crappy, or just like everything else? Can't be both. Don't worry, the author couldn't seem to decide what he thought either. In my opinion the sedan looks very similar to the other cars on the market, particularly the Corolla. It looks decent. Hardly offensive, and not more bland than the GC Impreza or blobeye that everyone love.

Did you think that it was a good article? So the car is uninspiring. Fine. I think that the author went out of his way to write an over the top, negative article. He was stretching and looking all over the place for something to say. I was offended by how poor his article was, not whether or not he likes the car.
    200,000 mile club.

Banned
    +1

See my sig
    You got it. This things are going to a road hazard for this reason.

So does the '08 look crappy, or just like everything else? Can't be both. Don't worry, the author couldn't seem to decide what he thought either. In my opinion the sedan looks very similar to the other cars on the market, particularly the Corolla. It looks decent. Hardly offensive, and not more bland than the GC Impreza or blobeye that everyone love.

Did you think that it was a good article? So the car is uninspiring. Fine. I think that the author went out of his way to write an over the top, negative article. He was stretching and looking all over the place for something to say. I was offended by how poor his article was, not whether or not he likes the car.
    I think the 08 looks crappy and dull at best but its certainly not alone. Whether or not other cars looks crappy has no bearing on whether or not this car is good. The new ones has a lot of small things that just look awkward.

I didn't find the article as contradictory as you did, I think the older interior looked more sporty, and the 04/05 looked cheaper but less awkward. The only things thats really happened with the 08 is its lost all its unique quirks but its kept all the little awkward areas so your left with a less pleasing car.

To be fair the 08 will probably sell more as it takes less risks and probably most people don't give a crap what it looks like.
    FORZA FERRARI

That is fine.

Personally, I think it looks good. As good as anything since the bugeye. But that is just my opinion, not a good reason for other people to like it. I guess I have a hard time w/ the people who seem upset that a cheap car looks like a cheap car.

Peace out, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually just commenting to respond to Jay.
    The car actually reminds me of the way I feel when I look at most any completely stock WRX. Kinda bland, no big deal, but lower it a tad, add a couple of cosmetic tweaks (grill, and maybe someone in the aftermarket will have a solution for those tail lights), and it could look great. :shrug:

Springs to tighten up the suspension a bit and a reflash/exhaust would probably yield a very fun car, with a nice dose of refinement.

Why does everyone continue to pretend like the 2002-2007 WRX is a beauty contest winner?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Road and Track has a pretty good article on the upcoming WRX. Do you guys want me to post it on here...or do most of you get R&T?