2015 Reveal on on 11/20 at 10:30 a.m. PT at LA Auto show - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 Reveal on on 11/20 at 10:30 a.m. PT at LA Auto show within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax Looks aside, the motor and drivetrain in the new WRX will far outperform the motor and ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Looks aside, the motor and drivetrain in the new WRX will far outperform the motor and drivetrain in your '12, I can promise you this. I'd expect a small price bump, though.

I'd still expect this drawing is not close to the actual design.
    The performance with a 6 speed manual and chassis improvements could be better. But I feel the current gens 2.5 will have an low end torque advantage compared to the new gen's 2.0. More displacement being one of them. Then again, i can be wrong.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    07 Mazda 3 S Touring 5 MT - SOLD
    12 Charger R/T Red pearl triple coat , wheels and tunes group - SOLD
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hopefully it looks nothing like that rendering. Anyone else notice the lack of a WRX badge on the grill

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
    The performance with a 6 speed manual and chassis improvements could be better. But I feel the current gens 2.5 will have an low end torque advantage compared to the new gen's 2.0. More displacement being one of them. Then again, i can be wrong.
    Are you a 1970s Muscle car guy? Ain't no replacement for displacement?

I can't argue with that statement in entirety, but I can promise you a turbocharged FA20 will boast similar torque to the outgoing EJ25x. Direct injection, higher compression ratio, and a square engine geometry will all lend to off-boost performance. The square bore:stroke being key here: this motor is bound to put down considerably more torque than the outgoing 2L and likely more than the 2.5L. Frankly, the EJ series is way behind the times: it's time for an update. Ever wonder how the 2L EcoBoost in the Ford Focus ST puts down 270 ft-lbs of torque? Sure, the smaller K03 plays it's part, but the motor is much more suited for turbo duty.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I'm not hearing anything as far as a major power boost. I've heard everything to the same(265) up to 295 The current model is pretty damn quick anyways. The 6-speed can be geared to make up for any lack in torque that the 2.0 may have.

I can't argue with that statement in entirety, but I can promise you a turbocharged FA20 will boast similar torque to the outgoing EJ25x. Direct injection, higher compression ratio, and a square engine geometry will all lend to off-boost performance. The square bore:stroke being key here: this motor is bound to put down considerably more torque than the outgoing 2L and likely more than the 2.5L. Frankly, the EJ series is way behind the times: it's time for an update. Ever wonder how the 2L EcoBoost in the Ford Focus ST puts down 270 ft-lbs of torque? Sure, the smaller K03 plays it's part, but the motor is much more suited for turbo duty.
    Glad to hear about the DI.That should really help with fuel economy as well

I agree with your statement that its not just the displacement. There are other factors too (undersq vs oversq) in generating low end numbers. I do like muscle cars and have the opinion that displacement do have a well played role in generating low end torque. But I like turbos too at the same time, which is why I am getting the Rex. I agree with the ST. It generates much low end torque @ 2500 RPM.The Ford ecoboosts V6 generate much more power than the old GT's V8. But the torque unfortunately comes a little later on V6 compared to the V8.
    Stink eye mob #682
    Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy race car parts.... that'll make me happy
    14 WRB WRX Hatch premium SPT STS, SPT CBE, SPT BG, Sub, RA Mudflaps,front plate delete, KB shifter bushings , Tic Pivot bushings , Enkei RPF1s 17x8

I think you are, for two reasons, one of which is because Zax says so

The other is this:

Current WRX with 2.5 = 265 hp @ 6000 rpms, 244 tq @ 4000 rpms

Forester XT 2.0 = 250 hp @ 5,600 rpms, 258 tq @ 2000 rpms

Looks to me like the 2.0 actually kicks the 2.5's ass when it comes to low end power.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Found this. Not sure which Subaru model it is for though..

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Forester XT 2.0 = 250 hp @ 5,600 rpms, 258 tq @ 2000 rpms

Looks to me like the 2.0 actually kicks the 2.5's ass when it comes to low end power.
    Is that 2.0 a newer motor? If so, that's very impressive ! Proved me wrong !!
    Last edited by velociraptor; 11-12-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Stink eye mob #682

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  68.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  68.1 KB

Front is ok but I do not like the back or the rims!! And seems like exhaust tip is smaller!!

Is that 2.0 a newer motor? If so, that's very impressive ! Proved me wrong !!
    Yeah, sorry I didn't put a year next to the Forester. That's the current Fozie XT engine, the turbocharged FA20 that Zax referred to.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I can promise you that the WRX and STi will likely ship with more aggressive cam profiles. I'd guess that the WRX specs will be slightly more power at the expense of torque. Subaru has no need to jump the torque on the outgoing WRX, so my guess is they'd target the outgoing 244 lb-ft with a slight increase in horsepower. 270/245 should be sufficient.

Facebook me here

Assuming the 2.0 matches or exceeds the output of the 2.5, what would the downsides be for the smaller displacement? Would there be any reason to go for the outgoing engine?

As for the looks, the current version never looked quite right to me. If the new car looks like the renderings then I think it is a great improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post
    Assuming the 2.0 matches or exceeds the output of the 2.5, what would the downsides be for the smaller displacement? Would there be any reason to go for the outgoing engine?

As for the looks, the current version never looked quite right to me. If the new car looks like the renderings then I think it is a great improvement!
    Isn't the 2.0 L because they can come back to WRC?
    Stink eye mob #682

zax
    Isn't the 2.0 L because they can come back to WRC?
    No, the rules changed when the WRC moved from Group A homologation requirements to "World Rally Car" requirements: World Rally Car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.