Subaru obliterates Isle of Man lap record with stock WRX STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru obliterates Isle of Man lap record with stock WRX STI within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We talk about the Nürburgring a lot, but perhaps it's time we start devoting more ink to the Isle of ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Subaru obliterates Isle of Man lap record with stock WRX STI

We talk about the Nürburgring a lot, but perhaps it's time we start devoting more ink to the Isle of Man. Located between Great Britain and Ireland, the tiny bit of green plays host to one of the most impressive displays of speed on the planet.

The annual Isle of Man TT plays out on a 37.8-mile course made up of public roads, which are closed down during race days. It's run by motorcyclists, and crazy sonsof*****es skilled pilots can complete the loop in under 18 minutes. Curious how long it would take an automobile to run the same course? Back in 1990, driver Tony Pond was curious as well, and he pushed a Rover 827 Vitesse around the island in 21 minutes, becoming the first driver to average 100 miles per hour in a car on the course.

Subaru decided to have a go at that record, and sent a WRX STI sedan and driver Mark Higgins to the Isle of Man. The car is a stock STI, with the exception of a roll-cage, race harness, fire extinguisher and adjusted springs and dampers to handle the various bumps found on the public roadway. How'd Higgins do? He smashed Pond's record by two minutes, with a time of 19:56.7 and an average speed of 113 miles per hour. Higgins stated, "Setting the record was both the most exhilarating and the most frightening thing I have ever done." We believe you, and we salute you Mr. Higgins, on a rather impressive bit of driving.

Read More/Subaru Press Release: autoblog.com/2011/06/09/subaru-obliterates-isle-of-man-lap-record

subaru.co.uk/news/isle-of-man-lap-record

Last edited by Weasel 555; 06-09-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    " The peak speed achieved during the lap was 162mph."

And they nearly crashed!!!Why does he have a co-pilot who is not reading notes,did they have him onboard for extra ballast?

Maybe this will encourage Subaru to get back into WRC ?
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 06-09-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    " The peak speed achieved during the lap was 162mph."

Why does he have a co-pilot who is not reading notes,did they have him onboard for extra ballast?
    Maybe this will encourage Subaru to get back into WRC ?
    1. A:Yes probably for balance /weight distribution.

2. A: I hope you mean the MFR Team as subaru is clearly running PWRC and has never stopped its support / enthusiasm. click: wrc.com/pwrc/news/=14090

hope that helps
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I Support ClubWRX
    I did mean the manufacturer team.Would have been nice to see them back in action.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    I did mean the manufacturer team.Would have been nice to see them back in action.
    +1 definitely agree
    "All We'll Drive"

while impressive, i'd like to see other cars do this. 22 year record?

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I'll be honest.. after seeing how a professional driver was workin that wheel to keep the car inline after that bump/loss of traction.. I'd have wrecked it for sure if I was driving. .. not that I'd even have the balls to carry that much speed through there either. lol There's a reason why pro's are pro's..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I'll be honest.. after seeing how a professional driver was workin that wheel to keep the car inline after that bump/loss of traction.. I'd have wrecked it for sure if I was driving. .. not that I'd even have the balls to carry that much speed through there either. lol There's a reason why pro's are pro's..
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Isn't he a local? He'd campaigned a Honda at one point, right?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    He has Ohio license plates.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Sick how he held that after the turn. Pro fo sho!
    06 WRX TR CGM {stock} Hawke-Eye #28
    Raysfield- "We don't get much snow, and I don't drive aggressively in the rain, so kind of irrelevant."
    .:Truth:.

I love seeing how much the shifter moves through this. Perfect example of why we shouldn't keep our hand on it while driving.
    Bryan | Stink-Eye Mob #265

07 Impreza Outback Sport, 5spd
    Sad I don't have this anymore:
    2012 WRX Premium, Plasma Blue Pearl hatch, Stage 1+
    check out my build thread

Crazy fast, lucky he recovered like he did or he would have been in someone's livingroom!

...Why does he have a co-pilot who is not reading notes,did they have him onboard for extra ballast?..
    They needed to have somebody to scream "Ohhhh shh*******t!" for the camera, and Higgins was too busy driving to be able to speak.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast