Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Boxer lovers, the next chapter in your love affair has just begun. Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, has ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Post Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine

Boxer lovers, the next chapter in your love affair has just begun. Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, has introduced the latest, third-generation boxer engine that will relieve the second-gen after 21 years of service. This is a brand new lump, not a rework, and FHI has built a factory just to produce it.

The bore and stroke have been increased, and it will be available with four cylinders in 2.0- and 2.5-liter displacements. The intake ports have been redesigned, lighter pistons and connecting rods offer reduced internal friction, and separate cooling circuitry for the block and the head are some of the changes that have resulted in a lower emissions and a ten percent increase in fuel efficiency. No power figures are being quoted yet, so we'll have to see how it measures up when it finds its way into production engine bays.

This new boxer will be Subaru's primary engine, and will first be seen in the Forester. Follow the jump for the press release, and you can have a closer look at it the high-res image below.

Click: autoblog.com/2010/09/23/subaru-debuts-third-generation-boxer-four-cylinder-engine/
    Last edited by Weasel 555; 09-23-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    The bore and stroke have been increased, and it will be available with four cylinders in 2.0- and 2.5-liter displacements.
    So if the bore and stroke have increased, how come it has the same displacements?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    The New-generation Subaru Boxer engine
    ・ The bore and stroke, the basic structure of this engine, have been reviewed to achieve a compact combustion chamber as well as a long stroke, which was difficult previously due to chassis mounting conditions in boxer gasoline engines. This allows high combustion efficiency, and generates a sufficient mid-low speed torque with improved fuel efficiency and practicality.
    ・ Improved fuel efficiency has been achieved through optimization of intake port configuration and the addition of partitions inside ports, the use of TGV (Tumble Generated Valve), and the use of an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) cooler.
    ・ AVCS (Active Valve Control System) is used on both intake and exhaust valves. For the intake side in particular, an intermediate lock system allows valve timing to be advanced or delayed for precise control over intake and exhaust valve timing, allowing maximum engine performance in output, fuel efficiency, and exhaust emission.
    ・ The use of lightweight primary moving parts, such as pistons and connecting rods, and a highly efficient and compact oil pump provides an approximately 30% reduction in friction loss and improves fuel efficiency and revolution response.
    ・ Cooling has been optimized by using separate engine cooling circuitry for the block and the head, resulting in improvements in fuel efficiency and output characteristics.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Now lets just hope they mount the new boxer fully behind the front axle, and do a complete redesign on the 5MT or get rid of it entirely.

They could ship all wrx's with the STI 6spd with no DCCD and a fixed split center diff.

That way they still have their "performance jump" in the STI with the tranny.

They could also offer a flappy paddle STI transmission. I know it would be perfect for me since teh wife doesn't drive stick so well.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 09-23-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I hope that it is a success for Subaru. I probably won't be a Year 1 buyer...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Nor I... Which is why I'm glad they are debuting it now as I'm a solid 2 years away from a new car at least.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I wanted to buy a 2011 in half a year or so, this makes me wonder if I should still go through with it or not.

This wait is already killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I absolutely, positively will not buy the first year, either. They can't keep their motors running with only a bearing material change (e.g. '09 WRXs), can't imagine what will happen with a complete rework.

Interesting. I like the idea. I wonder if they'll include chain-driven cams this time instead of belts. Mounting the turbo underneath the motor like on the Legacy would be nice to see as well.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.
    Mods: OEM short throw, Kartboy shifter bushings and Rallyarmor mudflaps.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    So if the bore and stroke have increased, how come it has the same displacements?
    I was wonerding the exact same thing.

Compression ratio maybe? Could be a small change in displacement to keep the 2.0/2.5 designations.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.

Any1 notice that all 4 cams have a sensor of some kind maybe Variable valve timing sensors of some kind?
    "STTI" Is for Subaru Twin Turbo Impreza.
    Since My EJ20R says 2 stage twin turbo, does that mean I am already at stage 2?

From the press release in post above...
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    ・ AVCS (Active Valve Control System) is used on both intake and exhaust valves. For the intake side in particular, an intermediate lock system allows valve timing to be advanced or delayed for precise control over intake and exhaust valve timing, allowing maximum engine performance in output, fuel efficiency, and exhaust emission.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
    Interesting.... Mounting the turbo underneath the motor like on the Legacy would be nice to see as well.
    I doubt they are planning on turbo-ing this new motor. With the changes in bore and stroke I assume they compression ratio is much higher. For example the c/r in an STi is around 8.5? The 3.3 SVX is 10.5. It looks like they upped the compression ratio a lot to achieve a more efficient burn. But this would not have been achieved if they didn't reduce the friction inside the engine by 30%. Further more they would be getting worse emissions because when you increase the compression that much you increase the temperature of the flame front, so to get noticeably better emissions they made the cooling system more effective.

This looks like an impressive engine but sadly I doubt it will get forced induction on any production models, at least not for a while after its introduction.

I wouldn't buy it until after the first two years, not until all the hype is gone and bugs worked out. It is inevitable that there will be some kind of recall on it.
    Fey
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX
    ~RalliTek 22mm front+rear swaybars
    (RalliTek and Whiteline endlinks)
    ~Tanabe Springs
    The Svex 1994 SVX; Going to rally it until it or I die.

They could still use FI on this motor if it has higher compression, just with a lower boost pressure than we're used to seeing on our high strung versions.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.