Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Subaru debuts third-generation boxer four-cylinder engine within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus They could still use FI on this motor if it has higher compression, just with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
    They could still use FI on this motor if it has higher compression, just with a lower boost pressure than we're used to seeing on our high strung versions.
    I suppose, do you have any idea what the c/r is on this motor? And they may get rid of the turbo Forester randomly, they dropped it and standards off the Outbacks... I was so pissed.
    Fey
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX
    ~RalliTek 22mm front+rear swaybars
    (RalliTek and Whiteline endlinks)
    ~Tanabe Springs
    The Svex 1994 SVX; Going to rally it until it or I die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't have a clue, but I'd like to see 10:1 or better, personally. 12:1 would be nice, but one probably wouldn't be able to run much boost on it. Maybe you wouldn't need to if the rev limit was high enough.
    2002 MBP 5SP WRX sedan.
    Mods: OEM short throw, Kartboy shifter bushings and Rallyarmor mudflaps.

mmmm....direct injection maybe??

For the person previous who would want the engine mounts behind the rear axle...there's no chance, the way the AWD system works in the subaru's makes it impossible, would have to have a transfer case of sorts and id rather just have the beast 6 speed in it. Maybe some trick electronic front and rear diff's to give us independent wheel control, THAT would be a nice upgrade

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    So if the bore and stroke have increased, how come it has the same displacements?
    The press release doesn't specify an increase or decrease unless I missed it. On the flip side the Autoblog article did claim that they had increased both, BUT another site seems to see it a bit different, "The bore and stroke of both displacements has been 'reviewed,' by which Subaru means they've decreased the bore and lengthened the stroke to improve mid-range torque. Subaru's also bumped up the compression slightly from 10.2:1 to 10.5:1." Automobilemag

I would tend to agree I don't know that I would want to own the first year (or maybe two) but with the world economy being so fragile right now do you really think they wouldn't have tested the engine quite heavily? (yea that voice in the back of my head is reminding me of the glued in replacement A-Pillar to door glass rubber seals Honda had to add to my Del Sol way back when I was "smart enough" to have bought a first year model...)

Now back to the numbers, a free-er (sp??) reving engine isn't a bad thing by any means and the compression ratio (though I am not sure where they pulled the numbers from) isn't that far from the previous, at least according to the automobilemag article...

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.