Subaru WRX Forum banner

BEHOLD Armin, the bringer of bad news...Deadbolt Turbo is no more

16K views 52 replies 25 participants last post by  Crb03 
#1 ·
Well, unfortunately no press release or anything for this announcement...just that Deadbolt went a little AWOL for awhile (for both their retail and wholesale customers) and now the latest news is that Deadbolt has closed its doors and has no plans to re-open :( No matter what anyone's experience has been with Deadbolt (mine has been quite good), this is quite a blow to the industry and Subarus in particular, with one less line of turbo choices available :sadwave:

#6 ·
That's a really tough question, that I don't even think the folks at Deadbolt have an answer for at this time. I doubt there's any provision for the company going under in the Free Rebuilds for Life warranty. The sad thing is that I'm sure someone 5 years from now will eventually want to take legal action to get the folks at the former Deadbolt to get their turbo rebuilt. Maybe I'm just a little cynical, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

#13 ·
Honestly, people on other forums have been having a hard time getting a hold of anyone at Deadbolt, so if I were in your shoes...I'd try to find a place that happens to have a Deadbolt turbo in stock rather than going directly through them.

OT: Armin I hope one day I don't tune in here to a headline that states: "Behold Armin the Great brings the worst news of all....RIP W1 :sadwave:"
I sincerely hope that day never comes either :sadwave:

#8 ·
Now this one stinks. The magazine things really didn't impact me, but Deadbolt has been around for a while, and had a quality product/service, by most reports.

I was actually looking into one of their turbos for when I ever get around to an upgrade.

#9 ·
Dammnit!! I had dealings with Deadbolt and they were just good peeps. They were gonna be my vendor for my upgrade as well.:(

OT: Armin I hope one day I don't tune in here to a headline that states: "Behold Armin the Great brings the worst news of all....RIP W1 :sadwave:"

#16 ·
Blouch Turbo

Just as an alternative so some of you dont go driving off of a cliff....

Blouch built my 16G Evo III. The price was good, the tech support was quick and efficient, it arrived sooner than expected and it is functioning perfectly on my 04 Subie. I highly recommend these folks!! :thumbup:

#18 ·
Latest from the rumormill...

Jerry (who runs Deadbolt) has returned from and extended medical leave and even sent out one of their customers' turbos. He's also aware that there's some pending orders and issues to deal with, so he's trying to straighten things out. Hopefully this means they'll be back soon :)

Sorta good news, right guys? :D

#32 ·
Another victim: Legendary camshaft company Crane Cams appears to have gone out of business this week.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal, is reporting the 56-year-old Daytona Beach, Fla., company has been shuttered and its workers laid off.

Crane's parts have become synonymous with performance and have been used by A.J. Foyt, the Wood Brothers, Bill Elliott, Richard Petty and many other well-known drivers.

The company first made a splash at the 1961 NHRA nationals, when a dragster using Crane roller cams was piloted by "Sneaky" Pete Robinson to the Top Eliminator award, breaking records and upsetting more established competitors in the process.

The visibility by Robinson's success and that of other racers using Crane parts helped the company grow in the 1960s as the Detroit automakers and racing thrived.

Crane Cams was founded in 1953 and had grown into a multi-million manufacturing operation, according to its Web site.

In late 2006, it was acquired by Mikronite Technologies Group Inc. of Eatontown, N.J.

#33 ·
Update on Crane Cams: Well-known cam shafts company Crane Cams shut down Feb. 24 for restructuring but says it plans to reopen, likely sometime in March.

All of the company’s 280 workers were laid off, though about 25 remain to work on military contracts. The closure was in response to the global economic problems, said vice president Steve Leva. He said the Daytona Beach, Fla., company planned to reopen in as soon as a week, or it may take up to 30 days.

Crane’s parts have become synonymous with performance and have been used by A. J. Foyt, the Wood Brothers, Bill Elliott, Richard Petty and many other well-known drivers.

The 56-year-old company first made a splash at the 1961 NHRA nationals, when a dragster using Crane roller cams was piloted by “Sneaky” Pete Robinson to the Top Eliminator award, breaking records and upsetting more-established competitors in the process.

Robinson’s success helped the company gain recognition throughout the 1960s as racing grew and the Detroit automakers thrived.

In late 2006, Crane was acquired by Mikronite Technologies Group Inc., and Leva said $18 million has been invested in equipment since the acquisition.

Earlier this week, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported that Crane was closing, though more details were not available at that time.

#34 · (Edited)
crane cams

I think this one has as much todo with its industry shrinking. Between smog laws, gas crunch, and the vast improvements in engine design in the last 15 years, most people aren't willing to rip their engine apart, or OEM MFGs have made it cost prohibitive. With most valvetrains being designed pretty well from the factory, shy of the old skool hot rod scene or top fuel, their just isn't much call for aftermarket cams anymore. Most hotrodders are even dropping in factory or wrecking yard Chevy LS1,2,3,6,7 or Ford 4.6L and just leaving them alone. Just not worth the $500 and 5hp gain.

:Shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.