No more Sport Compact Car - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

This is a discussion on No more Sport Compact Car within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 05wrxftw! that mag and modified were like textbooks when you bought them lol. IMO modified is about ...

  1. #16
    Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    Verdugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sea-Town, WA
    Posts
    13,313
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 05wrxftw! View Post
    that mag and modified were like textbooks when you bought them lol. IMO modified is about the only "tuner" mag left. stupid street and import fooler spammed out their mags and they left a bad influence on others. i love Dsport, even tho it leaves some pages to flesh lol, the rest is actually filled with interesting articles and test cars. hell they send out free dvd's with some issues with decent car/flesh action lol
    I agree with you on Modified, that's why it was my goal to shoot photos for them But even they have been getting really thin, and cars I've sent over to Peter Tarach (Modified's Editor in Chief) have been turned down because they don't have to space to run them, not because the cars aren't worthy

    DSport's got some good info but personally I think they still need to work on a few things to really make it THE magazine...paper quality is good, but the writing and photography still need some work to make it truly exceptional in my eyes, not to mention the actual spread layouts themselves. The problem is, their advertising isn't cheap either and while producing free DVDs with issues isn't the most expensive thing in the world, the costs do add up, so we'll have to see how long that lasts.

    Quote Originally Posted by 05wrxftw! View Post
    this part here is interesting, on that same note, i see more ads for forums/blog/websites and such vs. a performance shop or "bring your car here we'll dyno/build-it/blah-blah etc".


    most shops just rely on youtube for their advertisement (by use of their customer's/tuner's endless video channels) lol

    i.e.
    ICS Tuning (Dynoflash)
    AMS
    Buschur

    just to name a few
    It's very very true. The big manufacturers are the ones who can typically more afford magazine ads, whereas smaller manufacturers and performance shops must rely on more affordable means of advertising, which is why you see a lot of vendors here on forums and eBay. However, this affordable type of advertising presents other challenges in terms of following MAP policies and such. After all, it's easier and cheaper to take down an advertisement on a forum that violates MAP policies than a magazine ad.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Administrator Trainrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    26,593
    I Support ClubWRX
    The aftermarket industry went through a boom, just like real estate did. All you had to do was open your doors with a little money behind you, and even with shady business practices, you could turn a profit and keep the doors open.

    I can tell you the names of 5 friends who decided to become realtors during the housing boom. They were able to make a decent living even though they were barely qualified. Now that the housing market has slowed, only the strong are surviving.

    Now that things have tightened up a bit, you have to be a good businessman with something to offer while running a tight ship to keep your head above water in the aftermarket industry.

    Back in the late seventies/early eighties when my partner opened his first salvage yard, all you had to do was open your doors and the money flowed in. As the economy changed and the regulations around him tightened, he had to run a tighter ship and become very savvy to stay afloat.

    I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to thin the herd. Any businesses that survive this slump deserve to be in business.

  4. #18
    Registered User CorrPerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kenner, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    174
    Very well stated and good examples there Trainrex. Lets see what the govt does in with the big 3 automakers extending their hand out like cups waiting for that $34billion dollars in bailout.
    Alberto I Correa, Jr.
    EFI 101 Graduate 7-16-05
    AEM EMS factory trained
    Seguimos afinando, vendiendo y jodiendo....Entonces?

  5. #19
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrPerformance View Post
    Very well stated and good examples there Trainrex. Lets see what the govt does in with the big 3 automakers extending their hand out like cups waiting for that $34billion dollars in bailout.
    Better yet, let's not discuss that. It crosses the line into politics, which are not allowed here.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  6. #20
    Registered User CorrPerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Kenner, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Better yet, let's not discuss that. It crosses the line into politics, which are not allowed here.
    You are right that it brings the boring topic of politics, which sucks! In any case hard to shy away from it since so many things depend on the decision of a few.
    Alberto I Correa, Jr.
    EFI 101 Graduate 7-16-05
    AEM EMS factory trained
    Seguimos afinando, vendiendo y jodiendo....Entonces?

  7. #21
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrPerformance View Post
    You are right that it brings the boring topic of politics, which sucks! In any case hard to shy away from it since so many things depend on the decision of a few.
    Again, this is not the place to discuss it. Please take a moment and read our rules. We're rather serious about them.

    edit: You will also need to remove the link in your signature, since you are not a registered Vendor for our site. Thanks!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  8. #22
    Registered User 05wrxftw!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    The aftermarket industry went through a boom, just like real estate did. All you had to do was open your doors with a little money behind you, and even with shady business practices, you could turn a profit and keep the doors open.
    I can tell you the names of 5 friends who decided to become realtors during the housing boom. They were able to make a decent living even though they were barely qualified. Now that the housing market has slowed, only the strong are surviving.

    Now that things have tightened up a bit, you have to be a good businessman with something to offer while running a tight ship to keep your head above water in the aftermarket industry.

    Back in the late seventies/early eighties when my partner opened his first salvage yard, all you had to do was open your doors and the money flowed in. As the economy changed and the regulations around him tightened, he had to run a tighter ship and become very savvy to stay afloat.

    I'm sorry, but sometimes you have to thin the herd. Any businesses that survive this slump deserve to be in business.
    that is the truth ^^
    keeping it as is til a 2011 is in the driveway

  9. #23
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Modified and DSport was the reason I bought Konig Hotswaps... enough said.

    Anyone want to buy a set 17" hotswaps, please PM me...

    And, yeah, I got laughed at last year at the Dogfish Ale run...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  10. #24
    Registered User subtle_scooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Tiger Town
    Posts
    12
    I'm sad to see SCC go. They were one of the better tuner mags out there or at least I thought so. I had a subscription for a few years, but then it ran out and I never got around to renewing. Guess it's my fault they went under

    One issue they wrote a story about a night on the town with an R34 Skyline (I think) and I loved it. It was just a creative short story type article but it was a welcome change of pace from the "my car and everthing it has in it" article. I learned a lot of tech from that magazine. Hopefully something better will rise from its ashes.
    Bryan
    Boost Addict.

    Enjoying the Sonoma for now... Hoping to get my hands on a Rex SOON


  11. #25
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    So what happens to the year I have left on my subscription?

    To tell you the truth I'm kind of fed up with subscriptions. I don't care so much about the savings, but rather the convenience. But nothing upsets me more than to go to a newstand and see the latest issue and I have to wait 2-3 weeks later to get it in the mail. It's my biggest complaint concerning subscriber apathy by the magazine.

    That being said, I just subscribed to Subiesport, because availability has been poor locally here of late. And it the best mag out there...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  12. #26
    Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    Verdugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sea-Town, WA
    Posts
    13,313
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    That being said, I just subscribed to Subiesport, because availability has been poor locally here of late. And it the best mag out there...
    Well, that's a given
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

  13. #27
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    It really is...

    I keep hobbyist mags and throw out mainstream mags. Subiesport I keep. I literally can't think of a bad page in the 6 or so issues I have (I stumbled on it accidently at Borders about a year ago). Cars, events, tech info, and WRC are all there. Even the ads are great. I had no idea they even made custom subwoofer enclosures for Imprezas.

    Much of the CC bill charges I hide from my wife originated in some form from Subiesport ads All good buys though...

    Who knows, maybe I can try to get the first Garnet Red Pearl WRX Spec C Type Ra-R knock-off into the mag. If I can just find those darn black Spec C seats...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  14. #28
    Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    Verdugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Sea-Town, WA
    Posts
    13,313
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    It really is...

    I keep hobbyist mags and throw out mainstream mags. Subiesport I keep. I literally can't think of a bad page in the 6 or so issues I have (I stumbled on it accidently at Borders about a year ago). Cars, events, tech info, and WRC are all there. Even the ads are great. I had no idea they even made custom subwoofer enclosures for Imprezas.

    Much of the CC bill charges I hide from my wife originated in some form from Subiesport ads All good buys though...

    Who knows, maybe I can try to get the first Garnet Red Pearl WRX Spec C Type Ra-R knock-off into the mag. If I can just find those darn black Spec C seats...
    haha yeah I have one of the Audio Integrations sub enclosures Oh, and do let me know what you think of the "Brothers in Boost" feature
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6
    That is such a bummer

  16. #30
    Registered User COD3 R3D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    8
    Damn this really blows, Ive been a reader/subscriber of this magazine since April of '96. Kinda sucks, everyone I know who has read past "The Slip Angle", "Technobabble" or "Dear Dave" articles liked the humor and information that poured from the pages.

    For those intereseted: I just got off the phone with a customer service rep who said that all of their subscribers will now have "Modified Mag" sent starting with the March '09 issue. There was no mention of any writers/editors from SCC moving to Modified in coming issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •