Subaru Forester named Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru Forester named Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Motor Trend has gone back to the basics by picking the newly redesigned Subaru Forester as its 2008 SUV of ...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX

Cool Subaru Forester named Motor Trend Sport Utility of the Year

Motor Trend has gone back to the basics by picking the newly redesigned Subaru Forester as its 2008 SUV of the Year. Right off the bat, editor Arthur St. Antoine claims that the choice wasn't a reaction to high fuel prices, with the Forester posting the highest fuel efficiency in a group of contenders that includes the BMW X6, Ford Flex, Kia Borrego, Infiniti EX and FX, Nissan Murano, Toyota Sequoia, Volkswagen Tiguan, Honda Pilot, Chevy Traverse, Dodge Journey and Lexus LX570. In fact, their choice may seem somewhat surprising considering that the Forester's 2.5L flat-four engine (turbocharged in the Forester 2.5XT and naturally aspirated in the 2.5X) is borrowed straight from the Impreza and makes do with only a 5-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. There's surely lots more innovation in this field of SUV contenders, but MT gave the Forester credit for being a Swiss Army Knife in a drawer of specialized cutlery. The rest of the field each does its own particular thing well, but according to MT, the Forester often equals or betters the field in some surprising areas like space efficiency and ground clearance. It lacks a lot of whiz-bang gadgets, but was appreciated by MT editors for keeping it simple and doing many things well.

read more:
    autoblog.com/subaru-forester-named-motor-trend-sport-utility-of-the-year/

more pics:
    autoblog.com/photos/-subaru-forester-us-spec/
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No question the new Forester is very compelling and ahead of its predecessor. It's IMO good enough to make one forget about the Tribeca.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    It IMHO does look about a 100 times better then the previous models. It's very "bland" and almost looks like the typical Rav4/CRV suv ute.

Having been in the market and having previously owned 2 Subarus this however did even make my test drive list.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Having been in the market and having previously owned 2 Subarus this however didN'T even make my test drive list.
    Fixed

But as Autoblog put it, you where looking for something a little more specialized, not the Swiss army knife.

Edit : Here's the MT link 2009 Subaru Forester - 2009 Motor Trend Sport/Utility Of The Year - Motor Trend

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No question the new Forester is very compelling and ahead of its predecessor. It's IMO good enough to make one forget about the Tribeca.
    It's large enough to make the Tribeca irrelevant at this point, unless they bloat the Tribeca equally as their next card trick...
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a great car, for sure, but "bland" is the operative word. My wife asked me who's Saturn was parked out in front of the house last weekend...it was actually a new Forester.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Definitely looks too much like a RAV4.
    Black 03' WRX -- Cobb Shifter, Cobb RSB, RSR* TBE, Crucial Up, AP 1
    Chenhan@cyclesector.com - For all your street and track needs. Arai, Shoei, A*, RS-Taichi, etc.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It has mainstream looks now,but still has all that Subie goodness.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

This may have been covered, but I wonder if the 6-speed MT in the Diesel boxer is the same from the STI?
    Bugeye Mafia #162
    03 WRX Wagon - Waiting for warranty to expire
    90 Talon TSi - Sold
    91 Pathfinder - Last legs

Quote Originally Posted by jasonspeed View Post
    This may have been covered, but I wonder if the 6-speed MT in the Diesel boxer is the same from the STI?
    From what I've read it's the same transmission, but it has different gear ratios to better accommodate the low revving diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's a great car, for sure, but "bland" is the operative word. My wife asked me who's Saturn was parked out in front of the house last weekend...it was actually a new Forester.
    thats great lol

With the dealer lip and sports grille and rear spoiler this may not look so bland anymore. Picture only shows dealer front lip.

I <3 SASHA.M

Last year my mom was deciding between the Tribeca and the Forester. Unfortunately (IMO) she chose the Tribeca, but hey it's still a good car. It's comfortable, somewhat peppy, pretty large, and is much more fun to drive than the vast majority of SUV's out there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.