Subaru WRX Forum banner

Colin McRae Memorial Stickers/Charity

14K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  lashak 
#1 · (Edited)
All proceeds for the Memorial Stickers will go to charity:

http://www.colinmcrae.com/

Stickers:
http://store.nasioc.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:sadwave:
A helicopter belonging to former World Rally Champion Colin McRae has been involved in a fatal accident in Scotland.

According to Sky News, the aircraft that came down close to McRae's home near Lanark at around 4.00pm was registered to the 1995 world champion and suffered extensive damage in the incident.

Strathcylde police says there have been no survivors, although it is not yet known if McRae was onboard.

"It is not known how many people were on board at this time and there will be no formal identification of anyone on board this evening," a police statement read. "The Air Accidents Investigation team are en route to establish the cause of the crash."

More to follow as and when it becomes available.
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~4~id~154513.htm

Condolences to friends and family.

A nice Tribute video worth watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwb-RNbdx5U

some nice photos of McRae
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/6997071.stm

See less See more
#28 ·
Trying to get over the death of a local race car driver John Blewett Jr,,, and now this.. This just sucks, so many people that dont deserve to be taken, We'll miss ya Colin, the sport will never ba the same :sadwave:

#29 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/6997126.stm

some nice photos of McRae
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/6997071.stm

Colin McRae, who has died in a helicopter accident at the age of 39, will be remembered as one of Britain's greatest rally drivers.

The Scot won the world title for Subaru in 1995, was runner-up on three occasions, and for a while held the record for most wins in individual rallies with 25 - a mark that has since been passed by Spain's Carlos Sainz and Frenchman Sebastien Loeb, both former team-mates of McRae, as well as the Finn Marcus Gronholm.

But McRae will not be remembered for the statistics of his career. Instead, it was his attacking driving style that endeared him to millions of fans the world over.

His risk-taking style set him apart from his rivals, and won him his legions of admirers, but it also meant he did not win as many rallies - or world titles - as his talent deserved.

He was arguably the out-and-out quickest driver of his era, but his speed was undermined by a propensity to make mistakes - he was, it used to seem, as likely to end a rally upside down in a ditch as on the winners' rostrum.

Along with Englishman Richard Burns he was at the head of a golden generation of British rally driving talent

But those errors did nothing to harm his popularity, which was enhanced by a successful series of computer games licensed with his name.

The reach of McRae's reputation was such that, even four years after his full-time career in the World Rally Championship was over, he was at the time of his death still probably the most famous rally driver in the world.

McRae came from a well-known Scottish motor racing family - his father, Jimmy, is a five-time British rally champion and his brother, Alister, is also a former British rally champion.

McRae won the British rally title himself in 1991 and '92 and took his first victory on the world stage in New Zealand in 1993, driving a Subaru Impreza.

He went on to help the team to three consecutive world titles - including his, which he won at the final round after a close battle with team-mate Sainz.

It gave him the honour of becoming Britain's first world rally champion and he was awarded an MBE the following year for his services to motorsport.

He was a leading figure in the world championship for a decade, driving for Ford and Citroen as well as Subaru.

McRae was an experienced helicopter pilot
Despite his reputation for being hard on cars, McRae won three times the Safari Rally in Kenya, widely regarded as rallying's most destructive event.

The last of those victories, in 2002, was the one with which he broke the record for individual rally wins. It was also the final victory of his career.

But although the wins came in a steady stream, McRae could never shake his reputation for inconsistency.

And after a typical, but also winless, season for Citroen in 2003, he was left on the sidelines in 2004, never to feature regularly again on the world stage.

McRae filled in his time with appearances on the Dakar Rally across the Sahara Desert, and at the Le Mans 24-Hour Race, as well as intermittent one-off returns to the world rally championship.

The penultimate of those was in Australia in 2005, when he finished third in an unfancied Skoda.

McRae felt that he had proved a point with that performance, but his hopes of a full-time return for 2006 fizzled out, and he made his final appearance in the WRC as a replacement for Loeb in that year's Rally of Turkey.

Nevertheless, memories of the way a great career came to an end short of its full potential will be weaker than those of a great racing driver in his pomp.

Along with Englishman Richard Burns, who won the world title for Subaru himself in 2001, he was at the head of a golden generation of British rally driving talent, and they sparked renewed interest in the sport in this country.

Both men are now gone - Burns died in 2005 after a long battle against a brain tumour - but their legacy remains.

Paying tribute to Burns after his death, McRae said: "He was a true character in the world of rallying and will be sadly missed."

Those words apply equally to McRae himself.

#36 ·
Just heard about this earlier today (was offline all weekend).

Although McRae was out of the main spotlight when I first started getting into rallying, I did have the pleasure of seeing him come back for different events here and there in the WRC calendar. He seemed like not only an excellent driver, but a good human being as well.

My thoughts are with his family.

:sadwave:

#39 ·
Our thoughts and prayers are with your families, Rest in Peace Colin & Johnny and your 2 friends.

A true hero in every way!

My wife and I had the privilege of meeting Colin and talking with him last year when he was here in California for Xgames.

He was very down to earth and very funny. It was a real honor to have been able to meet him!

Here are a few of my pictures.

RallyeX

At Xgames when Colin & Nicky rolled I captured it with a 28 sequnce shot. In less than an hour I had 1 of the pictures printed and had Colin and Nicky sign it.

#47 ·
I was on this run, never in my life have i ever seen so many subaru's in one place at any time, Prodrive at bambury put a fantastic display on, and the staff was more than willing to inform everyone of each stage on the builds of the cars.
the convoy to the track was a thrilling yet haunting experience, with people stood on every motorway bridge holding banners/flags, the convoy was 26 miles long.
What an atmosphere but yet such a fitting tribute to a legend. I was on a high from this for two weeks after the memorial and me t some great folk from all over the world,
The spelling out of his name looked amazing, Mine was in the letter N, The event made the guiness book of records for the largest convoy with 1086 cars in total.
Fantastic organisation and brilliantly run.
Just a great pitty it was for such a sad loss.

Donna xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.