Those little green underlines! - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 126

This is a discussion on Those little green underlines! within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; thanks speedette!...

  1. #76
    Registered User turbo_bxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    hamilton,oh
    Posts
    2
    thanks speedette!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    Registered User blarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calmer than you are
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by timber
    Maybe you might have to look into patents rights or copyrights..
    I'm sure I signed those away when I clicked "agree" when i signed up for membership.

    Maybe I could start putting in my own sponsored links in my posts so I could turn a quick buck on them too.

    However, I did choose to post my mods here rather than other sites partly because of the lack of those annoying keyword ads. I don't begrudge people making a buck...even this site does start turning a profit...I don't care, why should I? Banner ads are just a part of web site formates, but taking MY words and twisting them into endorsements possibly for companies I may not like, is a bit over the line. Now for most of the idle banter I post on here...I really don't care. Its just day-to-day talk and noone cares, but when I take the time to think through a design for a mod, take the time to post pictures, explain it...you know invest myself in it, I really don't like the idea of someone else making a buck on it without at least asking me first...and if the philosophy of this site turns into "like it or get the hell out"...then it really HAS changed.

    I could have just as easily posted on I-club or NASIOC, both of which have several times the traffic of ClubWRX, but I just thought I'd be safe from that here.

    I know this is just a test-run...but in my business, when someone says they're just testing something out..its just a nice way to transistion to an unpopular policy...first you give them hope that its not permanent...and then some time goes by, people shut up, and maybe a few REALLY pissed off people leave, and then, when people stop paying attention it unceremoniously becomes permanent. One of the oldest management tricks in the book.

    I hope I'm wrong.

    I also hope I don't get squeezed out by this new policy change because I really do like it here (the word squeezed...sponsored today by Florida Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice...because nothing tastes like fresh-squeezed).
    Last edited by blarg; 12-19-2005 at 10:12 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

  4. #78
    Registered User JOHN91709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Hey guys, here's the secret:

    Mouse over one of the links, when the box pops up click "What's This?"

    It'll take you to the intellitext homepage where you can scroll to the bottom and turn off the links!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thank you!!!!!!!!
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

  5. #79

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    However, I did choose to post my mods here rather than other sites partly because of the lack of those annoying keyword ads.
    Hey! Sweetie! You can turn them off! See post #68

    If everyone turns them off they'll go away. Besides, maybe some people like the links? But if you can turn them off, who cares?

    P.S. Tim is mainly looking for POSITIVE SUGGESTIONS at this point. Just think of it as "Trial--Phase 2" instead of "El ClubWRX Permanente"
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  6. #80
    Registered User subie04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    1,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Hey guys, here's the secret:

    Mouse over one of the links, when the box pops up click "What's This?"

    It'll take you to the intellitext homepage where you can scroll to the bottom and turn off the links!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nice find. thanks
    2004 PSM WRX
    Currently Cobb Stage 2

    Blobeye Syndicate #23

  7. #81
    Registered User blarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calmer than you are
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Hey! Sweetie! You can turn them off! See post #68

    If everyone turns them off they'll go away. Besides, maybe some people like the links? But if you can turn them off, who cares?

    P.S. Tim is mainly looking for POSITIVE SUGGESTIONS at this point. Just think of it as "Trial--Phase 2" instead of "El ClubWRX Permanente"
    I know you can turn them off (i've had previous experiences on i-club et al). That's not really the point. I know I can blind myself to them, stick my fingers in my ears and hum real loud and pretend they're not there...but the fact that someone is using my intellectual property to make themselves money, and without asking me still bugs me. Does anyone really care? After all these are mods on some 5-year-old car that was pretty cool when it came out but now its just old hat and the mods are ones you can do pretty much for free so noone stands to make money on them anyway so noone really cares anymore and I should just get over myself...right?

    oh wait..the point is someone IS trying to make money on them. (the word "make" is sponsored today by Viagra sildenafil citrate tablets - official sponsor or NASCAR's #6 Mark Martin car.

    man....first I go and see King Kong...now this. Its only Monday and its already been a pretty disappointing week.

    lets see...a contructive sugestion....how about exluding the tutorial section? everyday conversation and B.S. is fair game, but not stuff that's unique to this site? The tutorial section doesn't really have huge active threads anyway.
    Last edited by blarg; 12-19-2005 at 10:38 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

  8. #82

    Peachypumpkincheeks

    Speedette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sterling, Virginia
    Posts
    8,615
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    I know I can blind myself to them, stick my fingers in my ears and hum real loud and pretend they're not there...but the fact that someone is using my intellectual property to make themselves money, and without asking me still bugs me. Does anyone really care? After all these are mods on some 5-year-old car that was pretty cool when it came out but now its just old hat and the mods are ones you can do pretty much for free so noone stands to make money on them anyway so noone really cares anymore and I should just get over myself...right?
    Well Tim will get donations because he asked for them. I think your DIY mods are great and if you would like me to make a donation for your intellectual inputs, I gladly will. I do see what you're saying, but it feeds into the problem with the internet as a whole. The act of people generously contributing to this entity where few see monetary compensations from these acts. When you thought the club was free, you were contributing, when in fact it was never free. There were always banner ads paying someone else for your information. And who doesn't want to make more money, anyway? I can't blame Tim. But seriously, seek reparations if you must. But along the same lines, should I seek monetary compensation for all the witty repertoire that I have submitted to this forum that may have made members snicker with joy? I mean, they are my original work. Or what about the videos that people have submitted (mostly from general sites like ebaums world, etc.)? I mean, Tim is monetarily benefiting from them too, I guess. Should they be seeking copywriting infringement claims?

    Sorry for my rant, but sometimes life is not fair. It was very generous of you to share your knowledge but I don't believe it was Tim's intentions to make bank off of your contributions. Besides, your input makes up a very small particle of the club as a whole so I would say he is making a very insignificant amount off of your contributions, if any at all. You acknowledged the transfer of this information as of your own free will, so in the same token, you are able to retract it if you want. But you need also be aware that when submitting information to the internet, people will take it and use it and plagerize it...thats just one of the weaknesses that comes with the territory. But you should believe that the individual non-monetary benefits gained from the sharing of information is far greater than the inevitable weaknesses.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

  9. #83
    Banned dark_rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Hub
    Posts
    12,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo
    If you agree with me, you could've worded your critique in a much better way than childishly calling Tim a sell-out. Why couldn't you have said what you just said before? That's just a simple insult, and doesn't make your opinion/argument look very good at all. It's no constructive, nor does it explain exactly what your opinion is.
    b/c tim said it wasnt' a revenue generating action. he said the club didn't need money to break even. he said nothing would change for the members.

    all of those things were untruths, that i wasn't sure were false until private, offline discussions with Tim on the subject. Tim (and others) feel strongly that i hold alterior motives. I think that spawns a certain type of reaction. the truth is, i have no alterior motives. i'm not bitter about anything in the past, and i don't have any personal issues with tim (unless he has them with me).

    so, while i disagree that i was childish (b/c changing policy at the expense of unsuspecting members in an attempt to increase revenue IS selling out) I simply couldn't have said what i said, b/c a lot of new information is now coming to light (like the fact that the donations are a compensation to Tim for running this place, not "just to tmake it better for the members") "Sellout" is hardly and insult. if Tim took major offense to it, well, i guess i'm sorry. But perhaps he's just got a guilty conscience on the matter.

    Armin, your protection of Tim, and rallying to his cause is admirable. But even you must admit that the story has changed dramatically since it was first delivered. ClubWRX.net is now soliciting donations and more intrusive advertising campaigns to make a profit. Both of these actions were advertised as just the opposite.

    M

  10. #84
    Administrator BlazinWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Irvine, CA 92620
    Posts
    4,478
    I Support ClubWRX
    Mike,

    Stop being so pathetic, I wanted to stick to the topic and save you the embarassment that's why I PMed you with the stuff that I had to say to you. I have very little if no respect for what you have said and done on the club recently and I really don't want to waste anymore time with you on this. Feel free to post what I PMed you with if you want to feel good about yourself and the rest of the members can decide what they want to do with it.

    If all you're going to do is complain about the forum and the fact that the site does generate a revenue go for it. You can complain all day... just not at the expense of my time and our members' time. Seriously.. it's quite embarassing for me to ask you to leave the site if you don't like what's being done here becuase you were a moderator here. If you have a point to prove please start it somewhere else because I'm sick of you jumping onto every single debate and do nothing but complain.

    ClubWRX is here so value is delivered to the people who come here. You just jumped in here and said that I'm a sell out because of the 30 second flood control and a limit to upload... guess what? The limit has always been there and the 30 second flood control is standard in vBulletin, that's why I get irritated when you and others say that the site is selling out. Anyways, do a search on the member donation thread and you'll see why I added that feature, I don't feel the need to explain myself everytime some ignorant member pieces some random facts together and calls me a sellout.

    I've said this over and over again... If there were no ads on the site we would still be using vBulletin 1.0 with texts only. Does the site make enough money to sustain itself from the vendors? Yes it does... does the site break even? Yes it does if you just look at the bandwidth and software... I am the admin of the site becuase I love everything about the site (except having to deal with crap from people like YOU.)

    I've given you enough hints that you're not welcome here any longer and you just don't seem to get it. You're this close to getting banned because I'm really sick and tired of pampering you all the time. Save yourself the embarassment because you dont' know how bitter and pathetic you sound.
    Last edited by BlazinWRX; 12-19-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    Tim
    Admin

  11. #85
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,062
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedette
    Hey guys, here's the secret:

    Mouse over one of the links, when the box pops up click "What's This?"

    It'll take you to the intellitext homepage where you can scroll to the bottom and turn off the links!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not if you have cookies disabled (I have a custom cookie list for those I allow)
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  12. #86
    Moderator timber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    3,718
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Not if you have cookies disabled (I have a custom cookie list for those I allow)
    So allow cookies for this site... I doubt there are any "bad" cookies here ?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

  13. #87
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,062
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by timber
    So allow cookies for this site... I doubt there are any "bad" cookies here ?
    I allow for this site in my list (you need to) I do not allow for intellitext. I'm hoping the links go away like they did at NASIOC.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  14. #88
    Administrator BlazinWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Irvine, CA 92620
    Posts
    4,478
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry guys let's stick to the topic from now on. Are people still getting errors from IE? I replaced some javascript to the bottom of the page so it shouldn't cause anymore problems.
    Tim
    Admin

  15. #89
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,062
    I Support ClubWRX
    I see everything correctly (and no errors), but still cannot upload pics.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  16. #90
    Moderator timber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    3,718
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazinWRX
    Sorry guys let's stick to the topic from now on. Are people still getting errors from IE? I replaced some javascript to the bottom of the page so it shouldn't cause anymore problems.
    I'm not having any probs. with IE... everything seems to be a lot tighter than it was a couple of days ago..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •