Subaru WRX Forum banner

Disaster Relief - how you can help

9K views 61 replies 40 participants last post by  RideGnu 
#1 ·
Dear ClubWRX.net Members,

Many of you have heard about the damages caused by Katrina and have the urge to get up and help. I've thought to myself about how I can contribute to the disaster many times and I have to admit it is diffcult to take action.

It is important to realize that people need all the help that they can get, and we need to get off our asses and contribute. People have lost their lives, properties, families, friends, pets, and their HOME. The scenes that you see on the news is not just another headline, it is reality for hundreds and thousands of people.

Here are some of the links with information on how you can help:

American Red Cross
http://www.redcross.org/

Specific Information on Donating to the American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html

National Voluntary Organization http://www.nvoad.org/

Points of Light Foundation http://www.pointsoflight.org/about/katrina/

American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/hurricane-katrina.jsp

Here's a really good list from CNN http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/katrina/help.center/

Please make sure that you donate to a reputable organization. It would be better for all of you to make a donation directly to the organization to avoid any possible scams, on top of that a direct donation will ensure that money is not wasted through transaction fees. Please tell us how you took part in helping the victims of Katrina. I would really love to see how members of ClubWRX.net are giving back to society. Also, please list any companies that are willing to match the contributions from non-employees. I'll keep this thread up to date with the latest links.

I don't want to hear any comments relating to politics and keepin mind that you may get banned from inappropriate comments.

Member Contribution Summary (updated periodically):
(note the "+ $xxx" stands for a matching contribution)

BlazinWRX - $200 to the Red Cross
Skreekin - $50 to the Red Cross +$50 to Salvation Army + $15 Halo Shirt
04.SPT.WRX - $100 to the Red Cross and another $100 + $100
jeremy96gase - $200 to the Red Cross
FASSTI - Approximately $2000 worth of Food and Water
WRXout - $117
Fox05 - $50 to school and fire department
Mrh00nel2 - Clothes
Wade-0 - $50 to the Red Cross
ButtDyno - $500 to the Red Cross
BrianH - $200 + $200 (company matching) to the Red Cross
csacom - $100 to the Red Cross
ProEnginePower - $5 to the Red Cross
t-rx - $500 to the Red Cross
Gearboy - $50 to the Red Cross
tfaz - $50 to the Red Cross
GotWRX03 - Spent a weekend helping with distribution and shelter
Arsk - Donated a $100 + $100. Also volunteered 3 days at the Houston Food Bank and Reliant Center.
Kevin972 - volunteered 5 days of evacuation work in New Orleans
Midk - $50

See less See more
#2 ·
I just made a contribution to the American Red Cross via their website, and it took me literally two minutes. My girlfriend and her cousin had signed up to be a volunteer locally also. Please post your contributions and I will update it in the origional thread. Come on guys~ show some love!

#8 ·
Pitching in is not a bad idea, but that will take time and I'm assuming that the victims of this tragedy will need our help ASAP. On top of that, a lot of firms are matching thier employee's donations so by making a donation as ClubWRX would actaully miss those opportunities.

So far everyone has been very generous, for those who has yet to make a contribution, remember that you can make a contribution as little as $5 and that's better than nothing. For those of you who are unable to make financial contributions, there are many other ways that you can contribute.

#9 ·
My best friend lost everything. He is totally devestated. His home, cars (except one) clothes, everything, all of it is gone. He lived in Gulfport, one of the hardest hit areas. A 20 foot wall of water hit his house.

He was out of town on business at the time, and his wife took their car and two children to live with her mom in Northern Va. He flew back to see them and as the place up there is too small he is staying with me in Richmond Va. I gave him my truck, filled it with bottled water, canned food gas and other provisions of survival. All told, I think I have sent about $2000.00 down there to be distributed in water and food to help people keep going. I can't be there myself as I have work and my knee surgery last month. I am going to be putting him up fro as long as it takes for him to get back on his feet and get a new job here in Richmond and get a new home for his family and him. I get really sad thinking about it. But at the same time I feel good because I did ALOT more than I can afford to help. Maxed out credit cards, and will have to scrounge a bit to make some bills but that is nothing compared to how badly others are having to scrounge right now.

God bless all of you who have sent money or anything else and not just bull**** empty words of fake sympathy.

#10 ·
Just about all of my family lives in New Orleans. All of them have gotten evacuated to Mississippi. Some of them will be able to move back into their homes, while others wont. I'm just now able to get sleep at night. On top of this, my wife just deployed to the middle east. So I'm all messed up.

The Red Cross said that they are actually spending more money than they are recieving.

#11 ·
Hi Pete,

I hope your freind and everyone else could get back on their feet as soon as possible. I understand that you feel really strongly and passionately about this issue because you're able to empathize with the victims who are directly affected by the disaster. However, it is up to each person to see how they can and like to contribute. There are people who has financial problems of their own and may not be in the situation to make any donations. If that's the case, please just encourage your friends, family, and co-workers to help out any way they can. Thanks.

#13 ·
Hay,
I donated localy threw school and fire department probly about 50 bucks. this realy sucks about them. Sorry yall hearts out to ya from south georgia

#15 ·
Thanks All

I'd chip in, but am one of the "Displaced Americans" myself. Though I work for a Federal Agency that is providing support. Left my 05 Sti in New Orleans and just went to rescue her today, she was fine no water damage at all though I think some roof tiles were bouced off the paint. Most of my family is accounted for, praying for the rest. Thanks so much for the support posted here and given by the members of this forum.

Kind Regards

H

#16 ·
My sister and her family were in Waveland, MS. They were not there at the time it hit, but they are safe. House, property and two vehicles are gone. I am sending them care packages. They are safe and so are there children, that is all I care about. Material things come and go, lives do not. I thank you all that are sending stuff or donating money. I prefer the direct method.

#17 ·
My credit union is matching its member’s donations though a relief fund account they have setup online through 11/14/05. I just gave them $100.

Put me down for another $100 + $100 from my credit union. :wiggles:

#18 ·
$117 from the fad miester- i know i spent 4500 on my new turbo setup but i had a feew extra bucks in the coin jar and i cashed it in hehehe

i feel bad for these people but im usually a "if it doenst benefit me , then i dun care" type of guy but i had a change of heart just now

#19 ·
help

im a local here in san antonio and have volunteered my time at the windsor park mall center to help out those in need . was there all weekend and will probably head out to NO on monday of next week to try and help get the phones up and going since i am a phone tech for swb.

#20 ·
If anyone reading this thread is also a fan of Halo you can purchase a t-shirt off of bungie.net for 19.99. Most of the that price ($15) goes to relief efforts. They are also contributing a portion of their sales of other goods from the month of September to relief efforts. Even if you are not a halo fan, you probably know someone who is...spread the word or buy some stuff for a family member or friend. This is just an additional medium in order to get money and supplies to those who need it.

#21 ·
im in the u.s. coast guard. 70% of active duty in the area lost all housing as well. we have a list in our district which is D13 for members to go down and help. i know if your military they are asking if you can donate older uniforms or outgrown uniforms. thats what im doing. i already donate monthly to mutal assistance which is coasties helping coasties.

as of today coast guard has rescued 39,xxx people. thats more than the coast guard work force. they have been going at it since the storm started.

#26 ·
I believe the guys on Fanatics are doing a new T-shirt with the 06 STi as the back drop logo, and then costs after the cost of shirt will go to benefit the Katrina disaster.

Maybe a new Club WRX.net t-shirt w/ proceeds going to Katrina too?

Signed,
Charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.