Disaster Relief - how you can help - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Disaster Relief - how you can help within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I donated to the Red Cross last week. I plan on giving more in the future as well....

I donated $50 to the Red Cross last week. I plan on giving more in the future as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I made a contribution the the American Red Cross on their website.

Couldn't be easier to do.
    04 Cayenne Red XT....b1tch.
    Cobb Stage 2 Protune on the way....
    Kartboy SS
    bling free since 1975

Made a donation to the Salvation Army for $50 and bought one of the Halo T-shirts on bungie.net that are being sold to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Glad that the waters are finally dropping. Hats off to all the EMS, fire, police, military, volunteers for everything that they have done, will do, and continue to do to stabilize a critical situation. It makes me proud to see us pull together like this.

along with about 30 other friends actually volunteered last weekend to help get a shelter and distribution are get situated - few miles off of Biloxi. our crew was there since Friday evening and we left mid-monday. another crew got ther in the afternoon to replace us, but wasn't enough. we tried as much as we could to get the community involved and to keep the work rolling.

my wife and I, along with our friends wants to go back and do some more work. they badly need the help.

I Support ClubWRX
    The post is on the frontpage and an announcement is made on the top of every forum so I don't think it's necessary to sticky it. I just found out that my girlfriend donated $2500 last night and I plan to go through my closet and donate anything that I don't wear more than a couple times a month. Check with your local listings to see how you can donate your clothes, I know that Salvation Army will actaully send a truck to do a pickup directly from your house. Remember that most of the donations you make, including clothes that you no longer wear, can serve as a tax write off.

I just updated the contribution summery the best I can with the given information. I may have missed some people becuase the information provided wasn't clear enough. If you have responded to the post and you don't see yourself on the summery list please send me a PM and let me know how you contributed.
    Tim
    Admin

Donated a $100 and company matched it. Also volunteered 3 days at the Houston Food Bank, and at Reliant Center. I suggest www.volunteerhouston.org/katrina for people in the houston area. I also suggest donating BLOOD if you are able to.

Katrina devestation....

I just returned last night from riding and h the EMS crews doing evacuation work in New Orleans. It was 5 of the most intense days I have ever spent. Believe me, people ARE going balls to the wall trying to help out.

Our days started at 4:30 am, quick breakfast and coffee, then assignments were handed out. Then there was a 60 mile ride with a caravan of ambulances and sear and rescue squads intot the cities to retrieve people and render aid.

There was lots of confusion, as one might expect. The resources were poorly focused overall. Once the feds got involved and security (read M16's and SWAT teams vs punks with 9 mm's) were present, then the real evacuation began with the military and twin rotor twins doing the heavy lifting from the convention center and dome. The stench was incredible, just like walking through a large dump yard. The sick people were taken first, and others farmed out to many different cities and states.

The destruction in the St. Bernard's parish was incredible. It looked like someone put the entire landscape in a garbage disposal. The local EMT's and fire crews\paramedics put on heroic performances during the first 3 days under incredibly adversity, some working constantly. Most held up pretty good, some did not. We cared for a lot of soft tissue injuries. Houses with dead, were marked with X's to be retrieved later. The storm surge in this area rose 10-15 feet in 10 minutes, occuring after the worst of the storm was thought to have past, catching many by suprise. The total dead won't be known for some time, many refusing to leave their homes, having ridden out past storms without much trouble. When the levy broke surrounding the lake above New Orleans, they were hit from 2 sides and that's when **** hit the fan.

Lots of scared dogs, some mean, several having to be shot...others cowering for a little food and affection, their owner's dead..or gone. Many tetnus shots and a few rabies series were begun.

I worked in the Methodist Dome in Baton Rough housing 400-450 people, most without their medications, many soft tissue infections but no dysentary yet. The people were holding up pretty well, and the Red Cross and local volunteers were outstanding!! The clinic run by volunteer nurses, docs and med students from all over the country.

I really believe in the goodness of people and this proved it. Yes, mistakes in planning and execution were made, but I'll leave that to the politicians. Thanks for helping out...many hands to make light work.

Kevin
    Dr STi

I just donated $50

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin972
    I just returned last night from riding and h the EMS crews doing evacuation work in New Orleans. It was 5 of the most intense days I have ever spent. Believe me, people ARE going balls to the wall trying to help out.
    Here's an interesting (actually disgusting) insider's account. There was a conference in New Orleans for EMS workers, ironically, when Katrina hit. This account is from two of those conference attendees:

http://www.emsnetwork.org/artman/pub...le_18337.shtml
    '02 Alpine White WRX Wagon - PDXTuning EcuTek Stage 2 + TMIC
    Some stuff that makes it cooler, unless you work for Subaru, in which case it's completely stock.

Kudos Kevin for helping out down in New Orleans. If I had the training, dangerous or not, I would volunteer to go in a heartbeat. I am sure by now that all of us have noticed through out our respective communities that there are a number of Katrina drives going on. If you can help out, or just volunteer, do it. Outside my work, we are having a diaper drive. Yesterday our store sold entirely out of diapers, baby wipes, pacifiers. Its happening all over the place. Help out where you can!

Exclamation Truth as well....

I do believe this. It sounds very much like what I have heard from others; in the first 2-3 days....the city and local government's response, was inadequate, if not pathetic.

In the days that followed, people from the outside came to help, and the events I described ensued, yet both are truthful. This was a once in a century (we hope) occurence. One has only to look at the 250 buses, never dispatched, under water that were to have been used to "evacuate" people. I think most in the know, knew this would never\could never occur as planned. People with means would leave, those without along with diehards would stay. The sick and elderly could never be moved in the time alloted, ie if the levy broke.

There are many heroes, most unsung. The human response, the "second wave" was real, if not unfocused. My hats off to all the unsung heroes in the first few days and to the selfishness and shortsitedness in the article letter you reference.

If you give me a cup, I tend to see it half full, a doughnut rather than the hole, just the way I am.
    Dr STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Reports have shown that more than $700 Million has been donated to the victims so far, and about $450 Million has been donated through the Red Cross. The news also confirmed that about 91 cents out of every dollar donated will reach the victims, which is really good compared to some of the other non-profit organizations. Good job guys!
    Tim
    Admin

14. 09-12-2005, 10:34 PM

Thanks All from the bottom of my heart

I evacuated with my family and have been back once to see the destruction that used to be my home in new orleans, my family has lost so much. Some very close friends are still missing, I have now received some financial help from both the Red Cross and FEMA, your donations are making an impact, thank you for any help you have given, wether that is money, time, sweat, tears, prayers or even just kind wishes.

Sincerely

Heath Peterson

PS. I still get a smile from my 05 sti (was left in New Orleans--got some debris damage to the paint/finish but no water damage). Wouldn't mind getting a meet up somewhere to thank some of you all in person, after the water recedes and I have a home again...

Donate Dinero

I've been giving donations to every store I go that collects for this disaster, keep up the good work subby boys..
    Bought a house!!! Can't afford mods right now!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Heath,

I'm glad that things are getting better as we speak. If you wanted to meet up some of the local members you can use our regional forums
    Tim
    Admin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast