Disaster Relief - how you can help - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Disaster Relief - how you can help within the News and Announcements forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just donated via Red Cross. I dont have a ton of $$, but I suppose everything counts. Hey WRXout, ...

Just donated $5 via Red Cross. I dont have a ton of $$, but I suppose everything counts.

Hey WRXout, are you jewish by any chance? I noticed you donated a multiple of hai (sp?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by csacom
    I just donated $100 to the red cross. Does anyone know if there is a place that picks up clothes? I have a few bags of those I can donate as well.
    Your best bet with donating clothes is donate them locally. From what I read at the Red Cross website, the reason that they want cash is because they can buy what they need for the disaster, and also because they can buy close to the disaster area. Transporting clothes can get very expensive. Give the clothes to your local Salvation Army chapter. Make sure that they are clean, folded and in good shape before you give them away though. I suggest that everyone take some time and take a look at a few of the websites that BlazinWRX has posted. They will tell you what their needs are and how and where to donate.

listen for a local church collecting clothes, I went by one in a neighboring community today and they had to have had 10 - 15 of these things out there with tons of clothes & other stuff stacked in the parking lot. http://peterthink.blogspot.com/pods.gif

A couple of days after the hurricane I made a $500 dollar donation to the Red Cross. I plan on making another donation for the same amount if things continue to stay this bad.
    Vibrant cat-back exhaust. Black silver rim ADR 18"/ kuhmo 225/40/18. kenwood deck, 2 12" kenwood excelons w/ 1100W kenwood amp. Cobb acessport------------coming soon

I spent at least 50 hours in the past 3 days getting my company ready to deploy. I packed myself and faught very hard to go... To my dismay my battalion comander decided that it is too hard to train cadets, even though 3 of us that were trying to volunteer are prior service , and we were shot down.

Either way we worked very hard to get our troops squared away.

good luck 2-162, godspeed.

PS: It might not be a common known fact but the wardon in New Orleans let the prisoners go because he could not protect them from the storm, and that is why a lot of looting is going on, also our MP company got shot at by AK47's as soon as they dismounted from their trucks.. this shiet is like iraq.
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    PS: It might not be a common known fact but the wardon in New Orleans let the prisoners go because he could not protect them from the storm, and that is why a lot of looting is going on, also our MP company got shot at by AK47's as soon as they dismounted from their trucks.. this shiet is like iraq.
    Please be careful with misinformation. The prisoners were not "let go" as you assert. They were moved from the Orleans Parish jail on the corner of Tulane & Broad due to rising water. Initially, the prisoners were not to be evacuated as the facility was sound enough to withstand the anticipated affects of Katrina...then the levee broke. The prisoners were maintained under gaurd on the freeway on-ramp for >a day before being put on busses and moved out, much to the dismay and anger of the civilians also living on the freeway.

The looting of the unacceptable kind (not for the sake of feeding one's family) was committed by thugs and citizens, alike. The roving shooters are nothing more than the every day thug element so prevelant in New Orleans. I grew up in the metro area and now reside in the outskirts, but still see the news every night. These activities were an extension of everyday life here, only it's played out on national TV. Not defending them, mind you. I think they should die, which is exactly what happened when some suburban thugs tried that crap in Jefferson Parish. The cops there iced a few of 'em right quick.

While I'm no expert on all of the happenings of Katrina, I and my family are currently evacuated to Houston and we spent the first six days watching coverage day & night. It was like a train wreck. I could not not watch. This is the place I've called home for 45 years. To many of the scenes are all to familiar to us. It is truly heartbreaking and I hope none of you ever have to experience such a tragedy.

Peace,

Curtis
    Last edited by TurbeauxREX; 09-06-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Lightbulb Thank You all for your support & donations

I want to thank you all for contributing to Hurricane Katrina relief in anyway that you can, monetarily or in volunteering your time. Every single dollar helps, so don't worry about "how much".

I am one of the fortunate ones. After being born and raised in New Orleans and adjoining Jefferon Parish, I moved our family to Des Allemands 11 years ago, which is ~30 miles south-west of the city on the west bank of the Mississippi River. Our home and area was unharmed, short of some trees and shingles.

My sister's back yard is the 17th Street Canal levee; the one that broke and flooded N.O. The breach occurred about two blocks from her house, which is a total write-off. Fortunately for them, they both have companies here in Houston which are covering their living expenses while they work from here. They can not return until the water is drained from the city.

My Dad's house is in Metairie and my son's apartment is in Kenner (Jefferson Parish) and, as yet, we do not know the damage. My son left Houston tonight to return home. We plan on leaving tomorrow as almost all services have been restored to our area. Our drive to Houston took 15 hours. Hopefully, the return will be the normal 5 hours.

The people here in Houston have been incredible, opening their arms and accepting all of the displaced people from the N.O. area. It really gives me faith in mankind, again, which after watching the nightly news at home everynight had all but dissolved.

And the kindness and concern shown on this forum is overwhelming. I hope that those of you who were not affected never are. And for those of you who were, either directly or through loved ones, God bless you and yours. I can only hope good things for all of you. As I said, my wife, son and myself are extremely fortunate to still have a home, and job, to go home to. Many folks don't and their lives have been shattered. And this is only the beginning. This tragedy is far from over. I only hope that the help continues to come to those most in need after the headlines wear off. Anybody remember how quickly the Tsunami disappeared from the news?

One thing is for sure; the loss of the Port of New Orleans will be felt by this country for several years to come.

And for all of you who are embarassed to tell your people that you love them, learn from this. Life can change in the blink of an eye. Whether a natural disaster or driving down the street. Let your loved ones know that you love them every chance you get, cuz one day you will be out of chances.

Peace,

Curtis

I donated $50 a couple of days ago to the Red Cross, and I'm posting articles about the disgraceful response to the aftermath on my Soapbox page.

Hey i'd also like to mention what a great thing u guys r doing contributing to this disaster. My girlfriend is from new orleans and i live a few hours away from new orleans.
    Many may not realize the reality of this issue. All my friends and families have literally lost their homes and jobs. They've picked up whatever was left of their possessions and have scattered throughout the neighboring states to start over again. Some of my friends have moved to New jersey some to texas and some to florida. My girlfriends family has moved up to monroe, louisiana with me and my girlfriend. All my money i've saved up (for rims) has gone to my gf's family to help them get back on their feet. I have gone to the civic center where they are housing the refugees to help out.

I've also donated all my books(i go to University of Louisiana of monroe) because my school is taking students from University of New orleans etc.

People are starting a life from scrap, and it's wonderful to see others helping.

My thoughts & Prayers are with all the people affected by this Disaster !
    . . Runnin Around Robbing Banks all Wacked on the Scooby Snacks , , , ,

Project Hurricane, 1987 Fiero Project

[edited by BlazinWRX] - sorry but we don't allow the promotion of any raffles. Thanks for the effort though!

oh, to go along with the performance data up top, the car gets 42 Miles Per Gallon!

well, i guess this counts as me helping, a group of about 25 guys from the church a few of my friends go to are suppose to be going somewhere in lousiana, not exactly new orleans but somewhere in the area to help in the shelters and with cleanup efforts and they needed to raise i think it was $10,000 to do what they wanted to, i think so far they have about 6,000 or more, $200 coming from me, so i guess that counts right = )
    Coming in october: 2005 aspen white REX

I heard that its sheer mayhem down in that sports stadium.

My vote goes out for sending more police down there.
    Never stop learning.

I just wanted to say thank you from everyone in south mississippi for all that everyone is doing. We need all the help we can get. Its great to see a country pull together to bad it takes a situtaion like this to do that.
    But Thank you for all your help. Ive seen more then i want to see and delt with alot of people who lost everything and its a hard time and rough situtaion for them to be in and me. I was lucky and didnt loose anything but the roof to my house which is now cause the floors to buckel and probaly gonna end up looseing the house all together but i got my life and family and after seeing what ive seen i can deal with that.
    Thanks again.

Ivan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast