Good mods for an 04 WRX Wagon?

This is a discussion on Good mods for an 04 WRX Wagon? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got it a week ago and, well, it needs more power. So far I've read that a good turbo ...

Good mods for an 04 WRX Wagon?

Just got it a week ago and, well, it needs more power. So far I've read that a good turbo back exhaust, up-pipe and the Access Port is a good combo and is good for 50whp give or take. What about intakes, or just a K&N, are those worth doing? Also what about a bigger intercooler in the stock location? Will that help performance any or be useless unless you get a bigger turbo and crank the boost up? Lastly, what kind of springs are available for the wagon? Don't want to drop it much, maybe just an inch and preferable not much stiffer spring rates than stock. Thanks in advance,

Jason
    1998 Turbo Neon..My own Stage 42
    2004 WRX Wagon....getting rid of it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you've done your research. I think you hit it on the head in all aspects. I concluded that a bigger TMIC was not worth the cost. Intakes...if I were to get one, I'd get the K&N- they really did their research and it showed impressive numbers on the STi. I'd assume it would do pretty well on a WRX. Springs- Eibach makes springs for the wagons. The drop is pretty mild and they improve the ride without making it harsh.

One other mod I did to my 02 (and I guess would work on yours...do some reading) is the rear sway bar. In 02, the sedans came with 20mm rear sways, while yours has a 17mm I think. The improvement is something like 90% stiffer than stock. Anyway, very worthwile mod in my opinion.

Enjoy the wagon!

Yeah, you really should upgrade the rear sway. I have the Cusco (get the upgraded endlinks while you're at it), and it makes a huge difference. The stock sways on the wagon are smaller than they are on the sedan. (17mm wagon vs 20mm sedan, I think).

As far a springs, yeah Eibachs are great. I have Tein S-Techs, and the drop is severe - about as low as you can go.

Tein H-Techs give a drop close to the Eibachs, maybe a slightly lower. You need to get wagon-specific springs, as the back of the wagon sits higher than the sedan. Good luck!!
    vf22 Wagon whp305/310wtq

Evo IX: 475whp

Both DYNOFLASH

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 for Eibachs. Their progressive springs are great for not TOO stiff of a ride, but a definite improvement in cornering flatness and control.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Just a note, eibach doesn't make an application for the 04 wagon specifically. They did for the 02-03 wagons. To fit a wagon specific eibach pro-kit on your 04, like I did, you need to get 02-03 tophats.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dome
    Just a note, eibach doesn't make an application for the 04 wagon specifically. They did for the 02-03 wagons. To fit a wagon specific eibach pro-kit on your 04, like I did, you need to get 02-03 tophats.
    Wow, they still don't have that? Geez.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I know right? I kept calling eibach and they said it was in development...blah blah blah. Finally, about 8-9 months ago, I get a rep on the phone from eibach who finally told me they weren't making a wagon specific spring for 04 up.

He said eibach couldn't justify the expense of R&D for a product with limited appeal, especially since the wagon and sedan are so close in weight. Bah, wagon owners shafted yet again.

ehm...

http://www.ecutuning.com/product_Sus...21.0_1369.html

I just bought these for my 2005 wrx wagon, they should be in any day now...

so sort of on topic, I am also looking for a new exhaust, and I keep hearing the term "cat back". What does that mean?

I live in Cali so I have to keep my cat. convertors, is that the case with cat back exhausts?

What about when you get a up pipe or a down pipe, do they replace cat. convertors?

if your goal is to improve the cars performance, you gotta hit the weakest links first...you get more return on the investment.

Tires. The weakest link by far for the wrx.
    Next, rear sway bar and endlinks.
    next, exhaust: up and dp work is key.
    Thise take care of the weakest links.

the next level is ecu mods and boost controller
    SS brakeline, pads, and fluid

I think everything esle falls under personal preference.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by leonbmx
    so sort of on topic, I am also looking for a new exhaust, and I keep hearing the term "cat back". What does that mean?

I live in Cali so I have to keep my cat. convertors, is that the case with cat back exhausts?

What about when you get a up pipe or a down pipe, do they replace cat. convertors?

Also, the sticky in the Engine Performance forum has all sorts of good stuff.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

this is one for on the wall!!!

many thanks!!!!

so seeing this diagram, performance wise, would it make sense to upgrade the stock UP and DP, with aftermarket ones that still have cat's in them?

That's probably a lot more expensive than catless up and down pipes, right?

Yeah, catted aftermarket stuff is pricey. You'll see a lot just be getting a catless UP and DP. I'm running a catless downpipe, Stromung, mated to the stock third cat. Not the best, but I'll give up the 5 hp for the cost savings, sound, and less stinky.

What I did...a downpipe (like $189), AccessPort, used catback, upgraded sway bar, upgraded brake pads, wheels and tires. These alone make a big difference.

If you're going to do AP, then shoot for stage 2 and stick to the mods you need + uppipe. No intake and no bigger IC are needed..

Prodrives might be right for you. Granted, I added them to an already modded suspension (rear sway, solid links all around, ALK, H-brace, 17's, hi po tires), but all I really noticed was a moderate drop, and slightly better handling due to a lower COG, or so I assume. They did not give a lot of stiffening compared to the stock 04 springs, which IMO gave a pretty nice ride to begin with. Also look up reviews on wagon specific pink springs, they might be a slightly siffer choice.

Start hunting for a used swaybar. A 20mm sedan bar, or an adustable will greatly improve understeer. Bargains can be had, if you look around.
    W#0rEing posts since 2003