Just thought I'd introduce myself...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just thought I'd introduce myself... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi I joined this forum a while ago along with a few other forums (nasioc, wrxfanatics) and so far I ...

Just thought I'd introduce myself...

Hi

I joined this forum a while ago along with a few other forums (nasioc, wrxfanatics) and so far I like this one the most. I just figured i'd introduce myself.

I got my WRX used last year (November of 04). I'm now a freshman (well, technically a sophmore now) in college. I used to drive a 2003 mazda protege5 which was barnd new (got it in April of 03). Anyways, I was modding that and had just put on the exhaust when a hail storm struck my school and completely demolished everyone's car. So I got a lot of insurance money, and with a little bit extra, managed to get enough to buy my used 2002 WRX (it's a wagon.)

I really love the car a lot. Its my first manual transmission so the first month or so I spent learning how to drive it better but now I am feeling much more comfortable with it. Around february of this year, i decided to start to rally it with a few friends. We found a cool figure 8 course in the desert and timed our laps around that. IT was really fun and a great way to get a feeling for the car and, not to mention, learning how to handle it as it slid sideways. I actually improved my ability to use the all wheel drive a lot and feel a lot more comfortable driving the car. Unfortuneately, our course was pretty rocky, so I decided to go with some fastline rally mudflaps to protect the paint (the fender wheel wells were already getting knicked up). After I put on the mudlfaps, I went rallying one more time and when I did i got a nasty flat in the sidewall of my front left tire. IT was (of course) unrepairable so I had to get a new tire. The place we usually get tires from no longer carried the RE92 garbage tires which was okay anyways because i soon discovered that rallying had done quite a bit of damage to my tires. the treads were still fine, but the rubber was mashed in at parts and chewed up. So, I decided to go with a new set of tires. I decided on the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (all season) tires (205 55 16) which is the same size as stock). and of course, with the Pirelli's being a more all season high performance street tire, I've decided to stop rallying. It was really fun while it lasted, but it was really hard on my car. My paint has a lot of tiny scratches on the bottom of the doors (including the side skirts), my rear rims have a lot of chips from the gravel, my fender wheel wells are chewed up pretty bad, and one of my rotors has a small scratch from a tiny rock that must have gotten wedged in there. (This doesnt really seem to be a problem but it was enough to make myself stop rallying). Part of the problem was that our course is too rocky. But another thing is that I am a perfectionist, so tiny flaws in my car are easy for me to spot and they usually bother me. So I am gonna try to fix all the chips and scratches in my paint. Then I think I will try to repair the chips in the rims and will then probably paint them in hopes that they will look a lot nicer (they cant look any worse than they do now with the chips). I think I might also sand down my side skirts to make them smooth again and my paint them so that they blend with the car a bit better (my car is black) and so that the scratches wont be as noticeable. Anyways, I am gonna do all that I can to make the car look as nice as possible, because I plan to transform it into a 100% street car again, with no more rallying because it is too hard on the car (and the tires especially ).

Anyways, that was kind of a long intro but oh well. So far, since november I have tinted the windows, installed the fastline Rally mudflaps (which I intend to keep because they will protect the paint and they look cool anyways), and I have also cleared my headlights (a mod i just finished today). I am going to go with a clear sidemarker so I can elimintate that horrendous orange color from the front end completely. Then I will work on the paint and the rims. I am aiming to paint the rims gold and the calipers red at the beginning of the summer. Then I am thinking about working on performance mods. I really want to go with more power but I want to keep my setup emissions legal. Right now I really want the Cobb Accessport but would probably rather buy a Helix Catback first so I can enjoy the deep Boxer grumble. I was also thinking about going with the full helix system (catless flex uppipe, CATTED downpipe, and catback). I think I read somewhere that this setup is emissions legal in california, so if this is true I will definitely do it. In terms of suspension I really want a rear sway bar and end links as well as lowering springs so the wheels fit the wells better (especially the front). I really want to make this car into a project car that I can continue to mod well past 300 hp once I have more money. So thats the brief story of my car and my plans. Hopefully most of them will be realized....
    2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, #87 STX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dark_vandal
    Hi

I joined this forum a while ago along with a few other forums (nasioc, wrxfanatics) and so far I like this one the most. I just figured i'd introduce myself.

I got my WRX used last year (November of 04). I'm now a freshman (well, technically a sophmore now) in college. I used to drive a 2003 mazda protege5 which was barnd new (got it in April of 03). Anyways, I was modding that and had just put on the exhaust when a hail storm struck my school and completely demolished everyone's car. So I got a lot of insurance money, and with a little bit extra, managed to get enough to buy my used 2002 WRX (it's a wagon.)

I really love the car a lot. Its my first manual transmission so the first month or so I spent learning how to drive it better but now I am feeling much more comfortable with it. Around february of this year, i decided to start to rally it with a few friends. We found a cool figure 8 course in the desert and timed our laps around that. IT was really fun and a great way to get a feeling for the car and, not to mention, learning how to handle it as it slid sideways. I actually improved my ability to use the all wheel drive a lot and feel a lot more comfortable driving the car. Unfortuneately, our course was pretty rocky, so I decided to go with some fastline rally mudflaps to protect the paint (the fender wheel wells were already getting knicked up). After I put on the mudlfaps, I went rallying one more time and when I did i got a nasty flat in the sidewall of my front left tire. IT was (of course) unrepairable so I had to get a new tire. The place we usually get tires from no longer carried the RE92 garbage tires which was okay anyways because i soon discovered that rallying had done quite a bit of damage to my tires. the treads were still fine, but the rubber was mashed in at parts and chewed up. So, I decided to go with a new set of tires. I decided on the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (all season) tires (205 55 16) which is the same size as stock). and of course, with the Pirelli's being a more all season high performance street tire, I've decided to stop rallying. It was really fun while it lasted, but it was really hard on my car. My paint has a lot of tiny scratches on the bottom of the doors (including the side skirts), my rear rims have a lot of chips from the gravel, my fender wheel wells are chewed up pretty bad, and one of my rotors has a small scratch from a tiny rock that must have gotten wedged in there. (This doesnt really seem to be a problem but it was enough to make myself stop rallying). Part of the problem was that our course is too rocky. But another thing is that I am a perfectionist, so tiny flaws in my car are easy for me to spot and they usually bother me. So I am gonna try to fix all the chips and scratches in my paint. Then I think I will try to repair the chips in the rims and will then probably paint them in hopes that they will look a lot nicer (they cant look any worse than they do now with the chips). I think I might also sand down my side skirts to make them smooth again and my paint them so that they blend with the car a bit better (my car is black) and so that the scratches wont be as noticeable. Anyways, I am gonna do all that I can to make the car look as nice as possible, because I plan to transform it into a 100% street car again, with no more rallying because it is too hard on the car (and the tires especially ).

Anyways, that was kind of a long intro but oh well. So far, since november I have tinted the windows, installed the fastline Rally mudflaps (which I intend to keep because they will protect the paint and they look cool anyways), and I have also cleared my headlights (a mod i just finished today). I am going to go with a clear sidemarker so I can elimintate that horrendous orange color from the front end completely. Then I will work on the paint and the rims. I am aiming to paint the rims gold and the calipers red at the beginning of the summer. Then I am thinking about working on performance mods. I really want to go with more power but I want to keep my setup emissions legal. Right now I really want the Cobb Accessport but would probably rather buy a Helix Catback first so I can enjoy the deep Boxer grumble. I was also thinking about going with the full helix system (catless flex uppipe, CATTED downpipe, and catback). I think I read somewhere that this setup is emissions legal in california, so if this is true I will definitely do it. In terms of suspension I really want a rear sway bar and end links as well as lowering springs so the wheels fit the wells better (especially the front). I really want to make this car into a project car that I can continue to mod well past 300 hp once I have more money. So thats the brief story of my car and my plans. Hopefully most of them will be realized....
    Welcome to the forum If they dont actually put a sniffer to your car in your state, I would suggest turbo back exhaust. If you like that mean growl, its the way to go. You can pick up the entire setup(up-pipe, down-pipe, exhaust) for less than $600 bucks shippped. After that all u will need is an MIL eliminator for your o2 sensor, and u will have an extra 30hp or so. Anyways welcome, and have fun modifying!
    " I wasn't racing, I was winning"

$600??? Where can I get it for that low? that is really good, the best so far I heard was the Helix setup (fully catless) for $850.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_vandal
    $600??? Where can I get it for that low? that is really good, the best so far I heard was the Helix setup (fully catless) for $850.
    Go on ebay and u can find OBX or XS-power-TBE for 300-400 dollars, and also an XS-power up-pipe fo about 100 bucks. Check out posts by scubee on this forum, and u can see pics. Its all stainless steel and really good quality.
    " I wasn't racing, I was winning"

Welcome to the club!!
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Hi & Welcome
    Pete.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello... there

Welcome to the club... Enjoy !
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

welcome to the club
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I Support ClubWRX
    Howdy and wecome!

mmmmm fresh meat

Quote Originally Posted by Type-RGirl
    Go on ebay and u can find OBX or XS-power-TBE for 300-400 dollars, and also an XS-power up-pipe fo about 100 bucks. Check out posts by scubee on this forum, and u can see pics. Its all stainless steel and really good quality.
    I'll have to look into that. But my primary concern is staying emissions legal (if thats even possible with a TBE?). Or if there is some way of getting around emissions that is okay too I guess. Just dont want to be failing emissions in such a new car.

I am of course still looking but I really like the Helix setup, it sounds really good and looks like it has really high quality. My options are still open, though, especially to emissions legal setups.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.