Question??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question?? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; okay im in the market of buying a wrx.. so all i know how to drive is auto and just ...

Question??

okay im in the market of buying a wrx.. so all i know how to drive is auto and just a little bit of standard.. but what im wondering is.. whats the benefits fof driving standard to auto?? i mean do all of you guys have standard?? i do want to learn standard but.. i dont want to learn rigth when i buy the car so .. just a question

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    okay im in the market of buying a wrx.. so all i know how to drive is auto and just a little bit of standard.. but what im wondering is.. whats the benefits fof driving standard to auto?? i mean do all of you guys have standard?? i do want to learn standard but.. i dont want to learn rigth when i buy the car so .. just a question
    Learning to drive stick is alittle harder on the wrx, but it was the first 5spd I've ever owned. I bought the car and drove 2 hours to get home. I drove almost everyday at night (less traffic) until I was comfortable, then I started taking it out during the week, and finally during the weekends. As for differences between 5spd and auto, you have more control over when you shift and most cars are quicker with a 5spd, if you care. Autos channel their power through torque converters and stuff that takes more power away. Add the awd drivetrain loss (around 20%, I think) and the car can get alittle slower. I think they are slower to build boost too... Although stick offers more control, you can make more mistakes too. I'm leaving alot out here, I know..

If you want to learn, see if you can find a friend that has a Honda and ask them to teach you. Get them to teach you get moving and get out of 1st. When you are ready, get them to teach you hills. I had a 20min lesson from a friend on his 91' 240sx and I had hills down. The only thing I needed to work on was my stop to 1st gear technique. Don't forget the wrx has shorter gears so you won't be able to drop into 1st as easily as any other car.

And when in doubt, press the clutch in.

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

to add on w/ smoke i would not put the car into 1st gear untill you are at a complete stop...if you dont it will put stress on the tranny and synchros
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    The Wrx will be a little trickey to learn on, but once u do, u will never go back to automatic. You have so much more control over the car when it is manuel.
    " I wasn't racing, I was winning"

get a manual, it is sooo worth it! auto's suck! and its real easy to launch with a manual! you really get used to driving a manual, im only 18 so ive only been driving for a couple years but it becomes second nature and drving is always entertaining!
    my 2 pennies
    04 black evo!!!!
    Car How To

go manual, you will hate yourself later if you buy an auto wrx, especially if you want to mod it

Quote Originally Posted by dviousboxer
    go manual, you will hate yourself later if you buy an auto wrx, especially if you want to mod it
    +1 FOR SURE!
    04 black evo!!!!
    Car How To

if u wanna take your car to the track and in need of lots of power, stick with the automatic and get a tq.converter. they are a lot stronger than the 5sp and easier to launch.

u and your forester! dont listen to bo, GET A STICK! haha
    04 black evo!!!!
    Car How To

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyBoy2
    u and your forester! dont listen to bo, GET A STICK! haha
    haha!!! trust me!!

alright thanx.. guys rigth now i own a 98 honda crv .. looking to trade.. and its auto.. so.. yeah.. damn i need to find a friend with standard.. i learned it awhiel back .. like a yr ago.. but getting out of first was my hardest part... but i'll try finding someone who can help me thanx

Id go w/ the stick, I know alot of people who just bought cars and are pretty sad that they didnt know how to drive stick, so they avoided buying a stickshift car =x, dont be one of em!

Like everyone says - stick.

Another thing you could try is renting some POS for a day and just go to a parking lot. Have a friend who drives stick get you there then you could practice all day.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dviousboxer
    +2
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

thanx guys.. i will get some help on stanadard before i buy the car... so i wont stall out drivign it off the lot,.. too bad haha

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.