STI tranny in a WRX

This is a discussion on STI tranny in a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ive heard and read all the horror stories about the WRX tranny, my question is....can i put an STI tranny ...

STI tranny in a WRX

Ive heard and read all the horror stories about the WRX tranny, my question is....can i put an STI tranny in a WRX...what years does it fit and what kinda costs are involved. Also is it plug and play or is there alot of custom fabrication??? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it'll run you around $6000 installed is my guess. you'd want to use a ver7 tranny anyways, rather than a USDM.

as for "horror stories" i have almost 80K on my stage 2. my first gear is a little *****y, but it's been like that since i got the car. if you know how to drive, and don't beat the everloving hell out of it at a drag strip, it'll be fine, even at substantially more power.

dR

it can be done but internals will give out well before the 6spd will... if you get a 6spd and want tons of power your gunna need a new block w/ forged internals...i would just go with a set of strong gears and work on the block if you want massive power
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    You'll need the tranny, a shorter driveshaft (auto WRX driveshaft works, or you can get yours shortened at many tranny places) and a rear ring and pinion with a final drive ratio of 3.90. Godspeed does it for $5000 installed. I'm getting mine next week.

The sti tranny will fit into your car, but its really expensive. The best bet is you can get version 6 STi RA gears and get them installed for about $2000 total. They will hold 300-350 whp no problem
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellafastWRX
    The sti tranny will fit into your car, but its really expensive. The best bet is you can get version 6 STi RA gears and get them installed for about $2000 total. They will hold 300-350 whp no problem
    In my opinion, I think you'd be better off buying a v.6 STi RA tranmission for about $2500 and get a front LSD and DCCD. Then you can get a 4.44 rear end (off an auto Legacy, I believe, for probably around $300), and you'd have a much, much better, stronger tranny with better diffs for only about a grand more installed than simply the gears. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about failures due to incorrect installation (which happens a lot), you'll have much less down time, and you won't have to hunt around trying to find someone that will actually install the gears. Not all dealerships will do it.